Extreme Brexit could be worse than financial crisis for UK: BoE

webfact

Just now, wilcopops said:

Curious attitude to historiography, but kind of expected... ...here here is 20 years of fake news that Brexiteers have swallowed whole from the far right media...take your pick...

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-uk-press-vote-for-your-favourite-here/?fbclid=IwAR2WnYSoKt4w3bjnG5ezEwKS92guy7Ywq1Tx0FB_436TlcDdFzLxcX4Wcpc

Pointless.

None of that is relevant to my reasons for voting LEAVE.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Exactly. He said the Scottish Independence vote was binding, because he won, but the Brexit vote is not binding, because he lost.

Neither one is legally binding, both are advisory only. The 2011 United Kingdom Alternative Vote referendum, on the other hand, isn’t advisory only. 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, wilcopops said:

Curious attitude to historiography, but kind of expected... ...here here is 20 years of fake news that Brexiteers have swallowed whole from the far right media...take your pick...

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2017/12/05/see-20-years-of-fake-news-about-eu-by-uk-press-vote-for-your-favourite-here/?fbclid=IwAR2WnYSoKt4w3bjnG5ezEwKS92guy7Ywq1Tx0FB_436TlcDdFzLxcX4Wcpc

The same sources said Tommy Robinson was a racist................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The discussion was about the pedantic nature of burocrats. I jokingly accused our German fried of being a pedant. So I was referring to two issues simultaneously.

Double entendre usually has a rude second meaning.

A girl walked into a bar and asked the barman for a double entendre; so he gave her one!

Did I already post this? Sorry

11 hours ago, nontabury said:

Correct, I’m 100% sure, that had the remainers won the people’s vote in 2016, even if it had been by only 1 vote. They would have insisted it was a binding referendum. And of course they would have been correct.

Unfortunately for them the people Democratically voted to leave this so called union.

There is a big difference between voting for radical change and voting to maintain the status quo.

2.5 years ago I was amongst those who said that whilst I didn't like the result of the referendum, I accepted it. But much has happened since to convince me that a final vote by the British people is necessary.

In June 2016 we were presented with two options. Now, thanks mainly to Brexiteer Tory MPs, we have three:

1. leave with the deal agreed between the government and the EU, the so-called May's deal;
  2. leave with no deal;
  3. cancel Brexit and remain.

As I have repeatedly said, I believe these three options should be put to the British people in a single transferable vote referendum; that way the will of the people will be democratically decided upon.

I have also repeatedly said, that as Brexiteers are extremely unlikely to put Remain as their second choice then Brexit in one form or another will almost certainly win. Which is why I simply cannot understand why Brexiteers are so afraid of this vote.

The usual excuse from them is that we have already made the decision to leave, the question is how we do it. Fine, let's give the people of the UK the final say on that; as outlined yet again above.

@rixalex did say previously that the variables, particularly those of May's deal, were too complex for the ordinary voter to understand. Which is not only very condescending of him, but also applied equally in 2016, and 1975 for that matter!

Of course, the real reason why Brexiteers do not want another referendum, do not want to give the people of this country the chance to have an informed and democratic say on the final decision is because they know that as the lies of Leave's 2016 campaign and the realities of Brexit have become more and more apparent that there is a chance, albeit a slim chance, that Remain may actually win.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, aright said:

What has no basis in fact? I ask you to demonstrate your claim that I am trying to convince people that EU law has primacy in all aspects of law in a member state by identifying paragraph and/or sentence where I said it and you get wobbly and inane. Can I repeat if you can't provide the evidence its wishful thinking and has no basis in fact. It's a straight forward question all it requires is a straight forward answer which may be beyond you.

As I said, you have stated that EU law has supremacy several times.

You did say here

It says that EU law should prevail if it conflicts with national law. 

but you have never said that this only applies in areas of EU concern. You have never said that in all other areas it does not and each and every member's own national law applies.

When first @tomacht8 then myself tried to explain the difference to you, you merely repeated your false assertion.

Now, in typical Brexiteer fashion, you are denying what you actually said and claiming you said the opposite!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nauseus said:

Deeper and deeper into space. Bon voyage!

AS you obviously don't like people using historical facts to prove you wrong, I suggest that you don't raise them in the first place!

40 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Your silly links don't change the fact that Heath is guilty of the deception which fooled people in the first place. 

Get your history right; whilst Heath negotiated and eventually obtained the UK's membership of the EEC, it was Wilson who renegotiated our terms of membership and called the 1975 referendum.

It was then Thatcher who was responsible for the Single European Act which allowed her successor, Major, to sign the Maastricht treaty which effectively changed the EEC into the EU.

But I am forgetting myself. History is only of interest to you when you can use it to support your arguments. When you are shown to be historically inaccurate, you suddenly declare historical facts to be irrelevant!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

AS you obviously don't like people using historical facts to prove you wrong, I suggest that you don't raise them in the first place!

Oh sorry, I must have missed your historical facts that prove me wrong. Please put them up again.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

@rixalex did say previously that the variables, particularly those of May's deal, were too complex for the ordinary voter to understand.

It is absolutely ridiculous to argue people make better decisions when being fed false promises and lies in the absence of any clear options  than having in detailed written what exactly they vote for. Shows how scared Brexiteers are about a referendum (or what air heads they are).  

50 minutes ago, Grouse said:

No. Enlighten me!

Insubordination is more my thing ????

54 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

generally speaking, subsidiarity is a measure to overcome subordinateness.

To put it another way Melvin, and in an EU context,  subordinateness is what you get when a Superstate which has a bureaucratic surplus and a democratic deficit feels subsidiarity is not right for federalism and should not apply to Vassal states. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, aright said:

To put it another way Melvin, and in an EU context,  subordinateness is what you get when a Superstate which has a bureaucratic surplus and a democratic deficit feels subsidiarity is not right for federalism and should not apply to Vassal states. 

So well put, that man. Woop woop.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aright said:

More Brexit fiction.

Spend less time wandering off into fiction and more time dealing with the reality of your failing Brexit.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

But none of those things matter. They are all irrelevant. Everybody knew this wasn't an advisory only referendum (except you it seems), so why are you wasting time going on about it? What are you hoping to achieve? Just move on. 

I’m not going on about it. It’s Brexiteers whining that their referendum won’t get enacted upon, despite everybody knowing it was an advisory only referendum, because that’s what the law says. Except you it seems. So why are you wasting time going on about it? What are you hoping to achieve? Just move on. Brexit won’t happen. Parliament doesn’t follow your advice. Because it sucks.