webfact

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, evadgib said:

Says the exact opposite here:

nothing new or strange with politicians suggesting to turn left last week

and to turn right next week

"Ireland has said it would find it difficult to avoid imposing a hard border on Northern Ireland if the United Kingdom crashes out of the EU without a deal."

The above from a Bloomberg interview in Davos.

Not exactly what I was looking for, just can't be bothered to go through a lot of old tales.

He was actually quite clear. It went all over European msm.

What he is thinking I do not know.

But I would not be surprised if the EU management has requested him to keep mum re this, for now.

23 hours ago, SheungWan said:

......which the Brexiteers are totally incapable of big time re the Irish question.

The Irish backstop is a manufactured problem,created by the Bureaucrats in Brussels, with the sole intention of keeping the U.K in the E.u. Against the expressed wishes of the majority of the British people. 

Pre the referendum it was hardly mentioned, if at all. I wonder why.

Now we are hearing threats against the R.I. That if Brexit occurs without a deal, the Irish MUST erect a hard boarder,otherwise those unelected Bureaucrats in Brussels will throw the I.R out of the single market.

93546ACD-DBA0-446A-BB56-75429AD9F78F.jpeg

2 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

nothing new or strange with politicians suggesting to turn left last week

and to turn right next week

"Ireland has said it would find it difficult to avoid imposing a hard border on Northern Ireland if the United Kingdom crashes out of the EU without a deal."

The above from a Bloomberg interview in Davos.

Not exactly what I was looking for, just can't be bothered to go through a lot of old tales.

He was actually quite clear. It went all over European msm.

What he is thinking I do not know.

But I would not be surprised if the EU management has requested him to keep mum re this, for now.

Putting in a hard border would be breaking the GFA, and almost certainly bring about a return to the troubles. 

They will find another way to resolve the border issue, because they have to. 

Any threats to install a hard border at this stage are just that - threats. 

The EU claim to be an organisation for peace.  Why on earth would they shatter the peace in Ireland by putting in a hard border? 

I appreciate that processes would need to change if there is no deal. But they they will do anything but put in a hard border. 

I suspect the EU and Ireland have already figured out a plan for the border, but they won't tell us while they can use the border as leverage. 

13 minutes ago, nontabury said:

The Irish backstop is a manufactured problem,created by the Bureaucrats in Brussels, with the sole intention of keeping the U.K in the E.u. Against the expressed wishes of the majority of the British people. 

Now we are hearing threats against the R.I. That if Brexit occurs without a deal, the Irish MUST erect a hard boarder,otherwise those unelected Bureaucrats in Brussels will throw the I.R out of the single market.

whoever created the backstop and for whatever reason,

it is a very real stumbling block preventing some degree of a common view on the deal in the UK.

somewhat more significant than a red h or a kipper.

38 minutes ago, nontabury said:

created in brussels,total codswhallop,any way what sketch did farage and Bojo have for the border? a one that would fit on to a postage stamp maybe.

19 hours ago, samran said:

If they had to choose, eight in 10 Irish people (81%) would cut economic ties with the UK rather than with the EU (19%).

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/brexit/irish-overwhelmingly-back-govts-backstop-pressure-sky-poll/ar-BBTk07y

Yet the People of the R.I. Votes against the Lisbon Treaty by 53.4% against 46.4. Unfortunately they were instructed to vote again, when they were heavily influenced to follow the orders of the tin pot dictators in Brussels.

Come 2016-2019 those same Bureaucrats, expected the British electorate, would similarly cave in. How they misjudged that.

Regarding the Lisbon Treaty, the British P.M at the time,Gordon Bigot Brown rejected the demand for the British to also have a vote on this Treaty. Perhaps this has been the problem all along. First our politicians lied and conned us in 1975, into believing that we were only going to join a trading union. Then since that date they have continually rejected the demands of the people for a say in how the E.u should evolve. This lead to the formation of U.K.I.P. Who expressed the feelings of an ever increasing number of people, until we finally had a Democratic vote, resulting in favour of leaving this so called Union.

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

No game..........it's serious............he can't spell or do sums.

did enough sums to have more than enough money to retire on at 45,but still do some work if its lucrative enough to motivate me,  and yourself

4 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Yet the People of the R.I. Votes against the Lisbon Treaty by 53.4% against 46.4. Unfortunately they were instructed to vote again, when they were heavily influenced to follow the orders of the tin pot dictators in Brussels.

Come 2016-2019 those same Bureaucrats, expected the British electorate, would similarly cave in. How they misjudged that.

Regarding the Lisbon Treaty, the British P.M at the time,Gordon Bigot Brown rejected the demand for the British to also have a vote on this Treaty. Perhaps this has been the problem all along. First our politicians lied and conned us in 1975, into believing that we were only going to join a trading union. Then since that date they have continually rejected the demands of the people for a say in how the E.u should evolve. This lead to the formation of U.K.I.P. Who expressed the feelings of an ever increasing number of people, until we finally had a Democratic vote, resulting in favour of leaving this so called Union.

5F8580D0-4121-4906-A6C2-797DC326E4B3.jpeg

i was 6 in 1975 so could you explain to me how you were conned.My parents never explained to me what happened,

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Putting in a hard border would be breaking the GFA, and almost certainly bring about a return to the troubles. 

They will find another way to resolve the border issue, because they have to. 

Reunited Ireland ?

49 minutes ago, bomber said:

created in brussels,total codswhallop,any way what sketch did farage and Bojo have for the border? a one that would fit on to a postage stamp maybe.

Yet you and other remoaners, have failed to respond to the very informative video posted by evadgib, in which both the P.M of the Irish Republic,and the President of the E.u categorically stayed that they had absolutely no intention of creating a hard border.

7 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Yet you and other remoaners, have failed to respond to the very informative video posted by evadgib, in which both the P.M of the Irish Republic,and the President of the E.u categorically stayed that they had absolutely no intention of creating a hard border.

the main brexit issues where about immigration and an overstretched NHS,they are barely ever mentioned these days

The Brexiteers suddenly aren't so interested in creating a border between the UK and the EU when they unfortunately discovered that there was a panto EU border to the West (Behind You!) BUT, BUT still want their cake and eat it once the implications of not wanting such resulted in a backstop which messed up their fantasies. Dismissal of IRA revival notwithstanding. It might have been something else (and probably will be) causing disruptions as at no point have the Brexiteers carried out any impact studies on any of their policies whatsoever other than the shambolic lying on the side of the bus. All of it, from beginning to end, is just one long Empire Revivalist sing-song. From Boris onwards, bunch of clowns.

Throw your mind back (if you must) to the time when that lazy negotiator David Davis was running things for the UK side. Now DD is best known for lying that he had undertaken any preparations whatsoever for the negotiations he was in the middle of. None. But that is not why we are here at this moment. Noooo. Why we are here was the moment immediately post the pre-negotiations when the UK had agreed the divorce bill with the EU. DD stupidly made a pointed remark that the UK could walk away from such an agreement any time in the future it wished. The comment was lightly dismissed in public, but it was never forgotten. DD's lasting legacy of perfidious Albion at its finest. So why mention that here? Because the Irish backstop is precisely in place to stop any David Davis doing the dirty on the border in the future. And the opposition to it is nothing other than the Brexiteer desire reserving the right to kick the agreement if and when it suits them. From start to finish one piece of stupid Brexiteer behaviour after another. It never stops.

2 hours ago, bomber said:

i was 6 in 1975 so could you explain to me how you were conned.My parents never explained to me what happened,

Thankfully some people who were not born,at that time, have now done their homework.

3 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Thankfully some people who were not born,at that time, have now done their homework.

OMG ???? its even dubbed,how embarrassing,i see you havent given an answer to my question.come on tell the board how europe messed you up in 1975 cos i want hear about it,lots of the older lads tell me in was great in the 70s you could leave a job and start another the next day,the UK also still had the national industries,what happened in your household that was different.

3 minutes ago, CG1 Blue said:

I don't think the Unionists would be too happy about that! 

It's the only viable solution to the border post nodeal - the GFA mandates a referendum on a united Ireland if there appears to be a majority for this and polls show that in the case of no deal there would be. 

Unionists are stupid - their policies will result in the very thing they don't want.

20 hours ago, Loiner said:

Yes, and we decide if we need to erect a border between NI and Ireland, not the EU. Ireland can if it wants to. Then Dublin can be responsible for any effects to the GFA within the island of Ireland.

The UK can control whatever it wishes to and by whatever means, along our side of the NI/Ireland border. The UK can also take back control of its' sea borders, probably with a different approach. 

Brexiteers and TM would like to ignore the fact that the UK is a signatory of the GFA. Both the EU, Ireland being a member state, and the UK have a responsibility to ensure that no border problem is created.

The fact there has been little problem over the last 20 years is a fairly good indication the current arrangement works, why change it for something that doesn't.

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Those sounded completely genuine!

Not a single pause, 'er' or sign of thinking. Clearly scripted. Some people will do anything for money.

Typical Brexiters tactics.

8 hours ago, nontabury said:

The Irish backstop is a manufactured problem,created by the Bureaucrats in Brussels

The backstop is not a problem, it is a solution to a problem. 

That problem has nothing to do with the EU or is “manufactured”; you should know that there are borders between countries and that these borders have infrastructure to control them. After all, that’s what you campaigned for, to “control your borders”. 

If anything, the root cause of why there has to be a new solution, is because the existing solution, the EU membership of both sides of the border, is being removed due to Brexit. 

with the sole intention of keeping the U.K in the E.u. Against the expressed wishes of the majority of the British people. 

If you haven’t noticed by now, the EU cannot keep the UK in the EU. Please inform yourself before posting nonsense; only the UK can revoke Article 50. 

Pre the referendum it was hardly mentioned, if at all. I wonder why

It was clearly mentioned, you just preferred to listen to the sweet lies and false promises of your leaders. Good that you realize that now. 

Actually I’m tired of responding to posts that keep spreading the old lie of “unelected” EU politicians. Maybe I should just do the same and call UK politicians “unelected”. Another lie is that the EU wants to throw Ireland out of the EU. Typical nonsense and lies of desperate Brexiteers realizing how hopeless their situation is. 

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

He can have my vote.

I voted UKIP at the referendum, switched tactically to the Tories at the snap election as UKIP stood no chance and I will take a long hard look at the party that Nigel Farage has joined for the next vote. 

I have just registered with the "Brexit Party".

https://www.thebrexitparty.org/

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

Those sounded completely genuine!

Not a single pause, 'er' or sign of thinking. Clearly scripted. Some people will do anything for money.

Typical Brexiters tactics.

You'll have me reaching for Pat Condell if you aren't careful ????

(His pause-free masterpieces are only surpassed by HMTQ @ Christmas!)

25 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Actually I’m tired of responding to posts that keep spreading the old lie of “unelected” EU politicians. Maybe I should just do the same and call UK politicians “unelected”. Another lie is that the EU wants to throw Ireland out of the EU. Typical nonsense and lies of desperate Brexiteers realizing how hopeless their situation is. 

Constant bashing involving that word or it's derivatives are getting right up our noses too. The lack of imagination makes monotonous reading in one direction.

Archived