The Official Manchester City Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

50 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

How quickly people forget! Not sure if you are a blue (think you are not) but since the Lyon game there are idiots on social media ranting on about Pep out. Bit premature I'd say. The only way I'd join in that is if Pep has told management that he has no intention of extending his contract, then I'd say if someone decent was available to bring in now then it might be worth biting the bullet and bring in a new manager (why wait till next close season?). I'm not convinced about Poch, and I could see that when Pep moves on we appoint from within or someone who's been through the club and knows it well like Arteta, Viera, etc.

I'm not sure if we can catch up Liverpool this season but once we bring in Dias and get the injured / sick back I think we'll be a lot better.

Two things Pep has to sort out urgently (assuming we get a RCB in this week):

1. Teams (bar some top 6 clubs) have learnt that the best way to play City is 5-4-1, soak up pressure and hit on the break with fast runners (Wolves, Leicester and others have used this effectively), and we just don't seem able to break them down. Need a new plan Pep.

2. Find a decent LB. Ask any City fan who was our last decent LB and some like me will go all the way back to Willie Donachie. Mendy came with a big reputation, got injured almost straight away, and while fit now has lost his pace he relied on. He's not the answer or Zinchenko. Cancelo finished the season well at LB, is injured now but deserves another chance but is unlikely to be the answer. At the moment I'd play Ake there presuming Laporte is fit. But we need to sort this <deleted> out that's gone on since Clichy and Kolorov were moved out.

Next up Burnley in Caraboa on Wednesday...if you are fit you play.

So because someone is saying Pep has had his day that makes them not a blue, strange, then you go on to say about idiots on social media ranting about Pep out, so does that also mean that there not Blues either ?

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mrbojangles

• Bredbury Blue

• RickG16

• jellydog

2 minutes ago, singasong said:

So because someone is saying Pep has had his day that makes them not a blue, strange, then you go on to say about idiots on social media ranting about Pep out, so does that also mean that there not Blues either ?

You're entitled to your opinion and can still be a City fan... but getting rid of a proven winner who has woven his own methods into the club, in favour of the flavour of the month (is he even that anymore?!) manager, is just crazy. 

17 hours ago, RickG16 said:

What happened... What was the question and what was his answer?

Something on the lines of: Shreeves..... "How important is it to start the first three games of the new season, on the front foot?" ( A question on a par with "How important is it that the sun rises tomorrow?")   Guardiola....." Are you asking me that the first three games are more important than the next six or even the next ten games? Every game is as important as the next".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

Nowhere in that assessment have you acknowledged that Leicester are a damn good side. 

Well it was more about that pingpong lad screaming for the head of Pep.

3 pens, and a screamer out of 5 goals is more about chance than quality, but you have to get yourself in those positions and they did. And doing it at City too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RickG16 said:

You're entitled to your opinion and can still be a City fan... but getting rid of a proven winner who has woven his own methods into the club, in favour of the flavour of the month (is he even that anymore?!) manager, is just crazy. 

I agree with you but isn't that what United did with Jose and OGS? 

On 8/17/2020 at 12:06 AM, Jack Hna said:

Afternoon gentlemen, I admit I had to find info on man city about 6 years ago as no one outside the UK will have heard of them. United yes, Liverpool yes, Madrid Barcelona and Juventus yes but city are not a team with any history besides maybe what a few die hard fans may think but they are a minority.

So I was genuinely thinking this city team might do it albeit a couple of years behind schedule but better late than never.  Ousting Madrid so confidently but falling to Lyon over one leg. 

Gentleman this is called failure. 

Pep, city and all supporters have failed to grasp the opportunity presented to them the chance to step out of United's shadow and show the world there are two decent teams in greater Manchester.

instead we see the real mancunian team making the most progress and yet they have a puppet manager and in the 4 years PG has been at MC they have also been a Europa league champion.

Total failure that Pep cannot take this team to a European final. This guy is no where near where a top manager needs to be. 

I feel it's the fans too though I mean it's like handing a Ferrari to a guy with a bus pass. They just can't handle the pressure because they do not have a pedigree of achievement. 

Just a bit of a plastic outfit tbh.

I have to state straight away that I am a died in the wool Manchester United supporter for some 60 years or more, however I have the deepest respect for many successful and long established football clubs.

High on that list of well established clubs is Manchester City, with past players that include Frank Swift, Bert Trautmann and the legendary Matt Busby.

If you are going to make statements like the above please check your facts first.

By the way I live in Darwin and & Phuket Thailand.

(P.S. Directly after WWII, Manchester City's Maine Rd became United's home ground)

Hence i tip my hat to Mr Bojangles and Co.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Manchester_City_F.C._(1928–1965)

Edited by LeungKen

47 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

I'm assuming you meant LVG not OGS.

No I meant United getting rid of a proven winner (Jose) and replacing him with the flavour of the month (OGS), or was he just s stop gap that unfortunately got lucky, and instead of being moved out after a lucky run, he was given a  year contract that appears to have been based on emotion and moron pundit feedback.

Poch has been ready and waiting, a proper manager. 

Largely getting off point now, but a prroven winner was replaced by a guy how got the job because he was a star off the bench in the 90s.

1 minute ago, BangrakBob said:

No I meant United getting rid of a proven winner (Jose) and replacing him with the flavour of the month (OGS), or was he just s stop gap that unfortunately got lucky, and instead of being moved out after a lucky run, he was given a  year contract that appears to have been based on emotion and moron pundit feedback.

Poch has been ready and waiting, a proper manager. 

Largely getting off point now, but a prroven winner was replaced by a guy how got the job because he was a star off the bench in the 90s.

Ole has never been a flavour of the month manager. He's the completely unproven manager but the 'club man' who has tried to reimplement some of the traditional values. 

Of course he wasn't just given the job because he was a good sub in the 90s. He has always taken a very studious approach to learning coaching / management, and apparently used to take notes when Fergie was talking.

We are rolling the dice with him obviously, but in your book Pep was given the Barca job because he was a great midfielder in the 90s, same with Pirlo, Zidane etc etc. These 'club guys' are obviously unproven but they do know what it takes to win at the highest level, have more empathy from supporters, and understand the club they are managing. Of course it doesn't always come off but this is the project we are committed to now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, singasong said:

1. "So because someone is saying Pep has had his day that makes them not a blue". Don't believe I said that. I did say I didn't think you were a blue (which is a different thing entirely) as I wasn't aware of you on here. But if you are a blue,  welcome.

2. "then you go on to say about idiots on social media ranting about Pep out, so does that also mean that there not Blues either". Don't believe I said that either. I believe it's premature to want to get rid of a manager who won us...(you know what he won us)...playing great football because Liverpool have come good again after 30 years and we were only 2nd best and/or because we haven't won the CL. 

So are you a City fan?

Do you want to get rid of Pep and if yes, why?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

1. "So because someone is saying Pep has had his day that makes them not a blue". Don't believe I said that. I did say I didn't think you were a blue (which is a different thing entirely) as I wasn't aware of you on here. But if you are a blue,  welcome.

2. "then you go on to say about idiots on social media ranting about Pep out, so does that also mean that there not Blues either". Don't believe I said that either. I believe it's premature to want to get rid of a manager who won us...(you know what he won us)...playing great football because Liverpool have come good again after 30 years and we were only 2nd best and/or because we haven't won the CL. 

So are you a City fan?

Good to see the blue half of Manchester getting their pants in a twist for a change. What City fan would swap Pep for OGS? And what red would swap OGS for Pep?

Leicester took their chances. They are gonna be up there at the death. Good team. V good manager.

City still fav's for the EPL title 2020/21. Assess after 10 games.

There is no such thing as home advantage during C-19.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Good to see the blue half of Manchester getting their pants in a twist for a change. What City fan would swap Pep for OGS? And what red would swap OGS for Pep?

Leicester took their chances. They are gonna be up there at the death. Good team. V good manager.

City still fav's for the EPL title 2020/21. Assess after 10 games.

There is no such thing as home advantage during C-19.

I don't see how anybody or bookies could have City as favourites over Liverpool based on last season. We really could do with a few of Liverpool's 'main' players being out injured for a change but it rarely seems to happen to Klopp.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I don't see how anybody or bookies could have City as favourites over Liverpool. We could do with a few of Liverpool's 'main' players being out injured but it rarely seems to happen to Klopp.

Yeah I don't see how City can be favourites, other than that nobody has retained the PL in a very long time...............

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I don't see how anybody or bookies could have City as favourites over Liverpool based on last season. We really could do with a few of Liverpool's 'main' players being out injured for a change but it rarely seems to happen to Klopp.

Teams have to get out here and give it a go. What are the away teams scared of; the crowd booing them? Looks like some teams have got the message. Others not.

It's a level playing field every game. What's the worst thing that can happen. Yes! A loss.

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Teams have to get out here and give it a go. What are the away teams scared of; the crowd booing them? Looks like some teams have got the message. Others not.

It's a level playing field every game. What's the worst thing that can happen. Yes! A loss.

Personally I think scousers are favourites, City 2nd, us Chelsea, and Spurs joint 3rd, and then a big group of teams inc. Leicester, Wolves, Everton and Arsenal (not much space between this 3rd and 4th group)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Personally I think scousers are favourites, City 2nd, us Chelsea, and Spurs joint 3rd, and then a big group of teams inc. Leicester, Wolves, Everton and Arsenal (not much space between this 3rd and 4th group)

Interesting post Rick.

I think there will be some VERY unusual/surprising results this season. Already there have been a few. (Spurs away and Leicester to name a couple). Pool have yet to slip up. Perhaps they will not; like they didn't last year. But, there has never been a better time for away teams.

At the start of the season I had a flutter on both WW and Foxes to get into Champ' League spots. So I'm in the mix! IMO Leicester's main asset is their very astute manager. Shame about the end of last season for them, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. Everton have surprised many. They certainly have the players. Can they keep it going?

Can't see Spurs, Arsenal or Chelsea getting there. Utd? Well, for me the jury's out. Let's see after 10 games. 

+++++++++

A couple of year back I listed my finishing positions for the EPL. Got the first 3 and the last 3 in correct order. After tonight's games I'm gonna have another go.

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

At the start of the season I had a flutter on both WW and Foxes to get into Champ' League spots.

I think one but not both. It's a shame really as Wolves had to move on a couple of players to bigger clubs, they still have some of their best players there but I can't see them being as strong as last season.

• Like 1

Just now, RickG16 said:

I think one but not both. It's a shame really as Wolves had to move on a couple of players to bigger clubs, they still have some of their best players there but I can't see them being as strong as last season.

Either, not both. My bad post.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

So are you a City fan?

See post 4374.

On 9/28/2020 at 12:58 PM, RickG16 said:

Your in dreamland with 3rd. Seriously you got more chance being 3rd from bottom.

You just about kept up with wolves last season and Leicester, Wolves and by the looks of it everton can push on this season. I've got you somewhere between 8th and 16th. 8th if you make the change within 10 games and 16th if you don't make the change until Jan. Please remember these words and prepare thyself accordingly.

• Haha 1

As time goas on  you spot weaknesses in players.... And  seems the same goes for managers ... defenders....esp central defenders   pep doesn't seem to have a very good eye for them  400 mil  spent on th defence  since he's been at city sort of backs that up... Personally I don't think it would be unfair to say city are turning into  bit of a grave yard for them.

Edited by 3 minus 2

3 hours ago, 3 minus 2 said:

As time goas on  you spot weaknesses in players.... And  seems the same goes for managers ... defenders....esp central defenders   pep doesn't seem to have a very good eye for them  400 mil  spent on th defence  since he's been at city sort of backs that up... Personally I don't think it would be unfair to say city are turning into  bit of a grave yard for them.

1. You seem to presume that Pep alone selects the players for buying. Seriously doubt that, as we have a Director of Football, but Pep will definitely have a say in selection of signings. And like all managers Pep doesn't always get the players HE wants.

2. Whether or not "pep doesn't seem to have a very good eye for them  400 mil  spent on th defence  since he's been at city sort of backs that up" - the defensive players bought in that time have contributed to winning the following (below) and Aymeric Laporte and Kyle Walker, who hold down 2 of the back 4 places, have definitively been a success.
    Premier League: 2017–18, 2018–19
    FA Cup: 2018–19
    EFL Cup: 2017–18, 2018–19, 2019–20
    2017/18: Least goals conceded with 27 goals
    2018/19: 2nd Least goals conceded with 23 goals, 1 more conceded than Liverpool

3. Our Net Spend is below for you. I've added my opinions as a City fan and someone who watches every City game, your opinion as Spurs fan will probably be different.

4. It's hardly "bit of a grave yard" for players signed during Pep's era. In fact the only defender who springs to mind who failed is Mangala, who was a Pellegrini era signing.

If you want to have a pop at City's management, which includes Pep, on signings, then they have been guilty of:
(1) never buying a 2nd LB in the period since Mendy arrived, spent the majority of the time injured and is now a shadow of the player (so we have to rely on either Mendy, Ake, Zinchenko (MF) or Cancelo (RB) - not ideal), and,
(2) relying on Stones and Kompany who were always injured (Otamendi was quite durable and was excellent in 2017/18), and,
(3) failing to bring in a replacement for Kompany when they couldn't land Maguire (phew!) so didn't bring anyone in and instead chose to rely on a DFM last season which contributed to only coming 2nd last season (luckily they learnt from that, so when they didn't get Koilibaly they prsevered and got Dias and offloaded Otamendi).  

-------

Net Spend during seasons 1-4 = €328.3
Net Spend during season 5 (as of today) = €65m
= TOTAL OF €393.3m

Pep's seasons

5. Current Season:
Rúben Dias - CB - €68m (Otamendi going the other way for €15m)
Nathan Aké - CB - €45.3m
Too early to consider if good buys or not.
= €65m

4. 2019/20 Season:
João Cancelo - RB, RWB, LB - €65m (Danilo going the other way for €37m)
Danilo wanted to leave, so we traded. Jury is still out on Cancelo.
He's either first pick or off the bench. Didn't settle well before the lockdown but one of our best players post-lockdown and looked to be our best LB option at the end of the season.
= €65m

3. 2018/19 Season:
Philippe Sandler - CB - €2.5 - Loaned out last season to Kompany's outfit in Belgium.
= €2.5m

2. 2017/18 Season:
Aymeric Laporte - CB - €65.00m - SUCCESS
Benjamin Mendy - LB - €57.50m - Considering he has had 3 major knee injuries and lost his pace, he hasn't been a success but due to mitigating reasons - Don't think Pep or City's management can be blamed for that.  
Kyle Walker - RB - €52.70m - Held down the position for 3 seasons since joining, excellent in 1st and 3rd seasons. SUCCESS.
Danilo - RB, RWB, LB - €30.00m - Decent utility squad member but not good enough to take the RB position of Walker. SO SO.
All 4 players were either first pick or off the bench. Mendy injured most of the season.
= €205.2m

1. 2016/17 Season:
John Stones - CB - €55.60m. NOT SUCCESS

Has been either first pick or off the bench. Initially Stones was decent for the first 1.5 seasons till he got injured. Now can't stay fit - Don't think Pep or City's management can be blamed for that.
= €55.60m