Speed Cameras

dreaming

I recently borrowed a car from a friend and travelled from pattaya to Korat. I have done it plenty of times before, but this time I noticed alot of speed signs with an image of a camera and some thai writing.

Are those signs saying there are fixed speed cameras in the area? or are they stating there is a chance a police radar checkpoint could be in the area?

I am worried I may have given my mate a few speeding tickets because as you go over the mountain area there is a long stretch of road (probably 10kms) where the speed is restricted to 60km/h? with the camera signs but no one including me was going that slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Haha 1

I recently borrowed a car from a friend and travelled from pattaya to Korat. I have done it plenty of times before, but this time I noticed alot of speed signs with an image of a camera and some thai writing.

Are those signs saying there are fixed speed cameras in the area? or are they stating there is a chance a police radar checkpoint could be in the area?

I am worried I may have given my mate a few speeding tickets because as you go over the mountain area there is a long stretch of road (probably 10kms) where the speed is restricted to 60km/h? with the camera signs but no one including me was going that slow.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I know that road through the mountains, almost "impossible" doing 60 downhill, 80-90 is the comfortable speed. I travelled through there 5 times this year and never got a speeding ticket, so at least for now, the camera signs seem to be more for show - but you never know in the future...

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 3:51 PM, dreaming said:

I am worried I may have given my mate a few speeding tickets

If there were any cameras that clocked you the ticket will be sent in the post to the registered owner at the address in the blue book. That could take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months - and will be all in Thai but with a pretty picture......

You could warn him or do nothing and see if he says anything in the future. Chances are if you did not see any actual cameras overhead or on the side of the road you are ok.

• Haha 1

Well, it will probably be around 6 weeks before your friend finds out.   I've got two such tickets in the mail over the past half dozen years or so....tickets issued for speeding in the Bangkok metro area and I live in Bangkok.  The tickets didn't arrive my mailbox until approx 6 weeks after the day of speeding.   And the pay-no-later-date on the ticket which is 30 days after the speeding date had already passed.   

It appears a contractor is the one that monitors/captures the speeding....initiates the ticket paperwork which includes images...it is then sent to the local police station for a police officer to validate/sign...and then it gets mailed to the address of the registered owner.   A slow process.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, topt said:

If there were any cameras that clocked you the ticket will be sent in the post to the registered owner at the address in the blue book. That could take anything from 2 weeks to 2 months - and will be all in Thai but with a pretty picture......

You could warn him or do nothing and see if he says anything in the future. Chances are if you did not see any actual cameras overhead or on the side of the road you are ok.

Actually it's in Thai and English now....I got one just a few months ago....my second one in the past half dozen or so years.  

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Actually it's in Thai and English now....I got one just a few months ago....my second one in the past half dozen or so years.  

Thanks Pib - been a few years for me touch wood........ :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, Pib said:

Well, it will probably be around 6 weeks before your friend finds out.   I've got two such tickets in the mail over the past half dozen years or so....tickets issued for speeding in the Bangkok metro area and I live in Bangkok.  The tickets didn't arrive my mailbox until approx 6 weeks after the day of speeding.   And the pay-no-later-date on the ticket which is 30 days after the speeding date had already passed.   

It appears a contractor is the one that monitors/captures the speeding....initiates the ticket paperwork which includes images...it is then sent to the local police station for a police officer to validate/sign...and then it gets mailed to the address of the registered owner.   A slow process.

How much are the fines?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dreaming said:

How much are the fines?

The one I got a few months ago was for doing 105kmh on a 80kmh road was 500 baht.   Was on the way to my immigration office (Bangkok) early in the morning around 6:30am to do my annual retirement extension of stay.  Now when I got an illegal lane change ticket in the mail about 6 years ago it was 800 baht.   Traffic ticket surveillance cameras are rapidly increasing in the Bangkok metro area.  

6 years ago a person was limited to going to the local police station to pay in person or mail in the payment....I mailed in the payment then....got a receipt of payment about a month later.  

But now they have various means to make payment....probably the easiest is going to any KrungThai Bank ATM, selecting the pay traffic ticket selection and pay that way.  The payment fee is 15 baht.  That's the way I paid the last one.  And if you have KrungThai Bank ibanking you can pay via ibanking....just like paying a utility bill. 

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

If the vehicle owner does not get a fine by post in the next 2-3 weeks, it probably won't happen.

Bear in mind Thai maintenance being what it is, there's a good chance any cameras there were not in operating condition anyway.

• Like 1

My wife gets them all the time when driving my car.

Don't worry, over the years fines have all been 500 baht, whether she does 10km/h over or 80km/h over. 

As yet no point system, by the look of the speeding tickets they have made comment about demerit points but no point system that i'm aware of.

• Like 1

If the vehicle owner does not get a fine by post in the next 2-3 weeks, it probably won't happen.
Bear in mind Thai maintenance being what it is, there's a good chance any cameras there were not in operating condition anyway.
Both of my tickets took approx 6 weeks to arrive my mail box. Tickets issued for Bangkok area and I live in Bangkok.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pib said:

The one I got a few months ago was for doing 105kmh on a 80kmh road was 500 baht.   Was on the way to my immigration office (Bangkok) early in the morning around 6:30am to do my annual retirement extension of stay.  Now when I got an illegal lane change ticket in the mail about 6 years ago it was 800 baht.   Traffic ticket surveillance cameras are rapidly increasing in the Bangkok metro area.  

6 years ago a person was limited to going to the local police station to pay in person or mail in the payment....I mailed in the payment then....got a receipt of payment about a month later.  

But now they have various means to make payment....probably the easiest is going to any KrungThai Bank ATM, selecting the pay traffic ticket selection and pay that way.  The payment fee is 15 baht.  That's the way I paid the last one.  And if you have KrungThai Bank ibanking you can pay via ibanking....just like paying a utility bill. 

You got caught speeding bad luck I was just wondering the Thai drivers who sped past you when you were speeding. Did also get a ticket?  The camera probably picked up cash cow on your number plate by the lettering. I decided to test these so-called nonspeeding Thais out one day to see how fast they would go to get past me We got to a 100 in a built-up area and they flew past me like I was standing still MIni buses the worst

Thailand is not yet ready for speed cameras for tow reasons, first it's only a new thing in this country so

it will have a trial time, second Prayut, with elections round the corner needs every votes he can get and

when Thai peoples are upset, they will remembe on voting day. 

4 hours ago, ubon farang said:

You got caught speeding bad luck I was just wondering the Thai drivers who sped past you when you were speeding. Did also get a ticket?  The camera probably picked up cash cow on your number plate by the lettering. I decided to test these so-called nonspeeding Thais out one day to see how fast they would go to get past me We got to a 100 in a built-up area and they flew past me like I was standing still MIni buses the worst

Naw.   For my speeding ticket there were no other vehicles close to me in the image they sent...no possibility of the camera/radar keying in on another vehicle close to me as there was no other vehicles close to me.  Plus I remember that morning.....traffic was still very lite...and I know exactly where the camera/radar is now. 

This particular camera/radar is a small camera with about a small approx 20cm by 20cm radar antenna/plate right below the camera....the radar plate points at an angle towards on coming traffic.  The radar antenna/plate looks very similar to a solar cell plate but it's not a solar cell plate.   Some people might think when seeing this type of system it's just a solar powered camera but if that was true why isn't that solar plate pointing up towards the sky/sun versus angled downward towards the road/directly at on coming traffic.    I've now seen about a half dozen more of this type as I've been looking closely along roads I travel around my area.  The ones I've seen so far are mounted on road light poles with the camera/radar over several lanes of traffic.  You can easily miss them if not looking closely because they are pretty small...gone are the days of shoebox size cameras/radars.

I expect for speeding tickets they have policies such as there has to be x-amount of separation from any other vehicles which might appear in the image to ensure the radar don't key in on/report the speed of the wrong vehicle....a vehicle zipping by you much faster.

They are definitely not looking for cash cow farangs.   I have a couple of Thai in-laws (dirt poor in-laws....Bt300 a day type in-laws) who have got speeding and illegal lane change tickets in the mail....their tickets were for the exact same amount as me....Bt500 for the speeding and Bt800 for illegal lane change. 

I'm sure "how many" speed surveillance systems are in each area/on each road varies greatly across Thailand.  But here in the Bangkok metro area the ticketing surveillance systems are many and increasing every day.   Effective way to spot traffic violations....and yes, a money maker. 

5 hours ago, ubon farang said:

Sure mate.

The camera has face recognition: Thai don't shoot, foreigner shoot. And yes, the number plate will reveal he wasn't Thai, all non-Thai get a number plate starting with Gai.

I know the area in Korat pretty well. I’ve been through there twice in June @ 100Km/h+ with no ticket. 

At the risk of firing up the do gooders I’ve travelled quite a bit from BKK to Pattaya to Rayong the last couple years at well over the posted limit and I nor the rental company I hired from a couple times have ever received an infringement. I’m not sure what to make of it, maybe maintenance issues with the cameras or they are only functioning intermittently. Who knows.