Bolton Boys We Are Here

champers

1 hour ago, ThaiPauly said:

His heart was in the right place

I think he stood on the bridge of the Good Ship Bolton as she slid beneath the waves

I seem to remember he was not being paid but refused to leave.

But as a manager he has not been successful  anywhere and some of his tactics were questionable at the very least

He was a success at Bradford; got them to a League Cup final and promoted in the same year. Had a good FA Cup run later on winning at Chelsea 4-2. I was pleasantly surprised when we landed him and he won us promotion in his first season.

28 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Wow...

Sorry, are you talking about Phil Neal or Phil Parkinson?

Parkinson

There was another player on there who said he genuinely believed he had a secret door in his office where he could go to hide to avoid confrontation he said sometimes I would see him walk into his office and I would wait for 2 minutes then go to the office and walk in to talk to him and he wouldn't be there he was like derren brown he would vanish

Edited by Chad91
  • Like 1

Just now, champers said:

He was a success at Bradford; got them to a League Cup final and promoted in the same year. Had a good FA Cup run later on winning at Chelsea 4-2. I was pleasantly surprised when we landed him and he won us promotion in his first season.

Champers in your opinion who is the greatest ever Bolton manager?

1 minute ago, RickG16 said:

Champers in your opinion who is the greatest ever Bolton manager?

Big Sam or Bill Foweraker in the 1920s who won 3 FA Cups and a 3rd place finish in the 1st division. A bit before my time. He would have got us into Europe 4 times, if there were European comps then.

7 minutes ago, champers said:

Big Sam or Bill Foweraker in the 1920s who won 3 FA Cups and a 3rd place finish in the 1st division. A bit before my time. He would have got us into Europe 4 times, if there were European comps then.

Just seen Big Sam's win % was 41.24.

If you consider the amount of games that were in the Premier League that's amazing really.

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

Just seen Big Sam's win % was 41.24.

If you consider the amount of games that were in the Premier League that's amazing really.

The season he left we were 3rd at Christmas. He wanted to spend big in the Jan transfer window to get us in the Champs Lge but the money wasn't forthcoming so he left to join Newcastle. They sacked him before he completed a full season the year after.

On 7/6/2021 at 1:43 PM, champers said:

Apologies

That was his finest hour at Bradford.

I remember Reading playing them in the quarter finals and they held us to a 0-0 draw at their place, we managed to win the replay 3-0

• 5 weeks later...

First game of the season tomorrow v MK Dons. 16,000 tickets sold (10,000 season tickets) so a big noisy crowd on.

I hope all teams get good crowds with a big Covid bounce back and will be great to see and hear.

Up the Whites.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Two legends lost this week: Roger Hunt and Freddie Hill.

Roger signed for his childhood hero Nat Lofthouse who was manager at the time. Freddie was good enough to be capped by England. Ended his career with 2 other Bolton legends Wyn Davies and Frannie Lee.

images.jpeg

images (1).jpeg

images (2).jpeg

Edited by champers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 10:55 AM, petermik said:

I,ve always known them as the ’trotters’

No Bolton fan I know of calls them that. Whites or Wanderers. Oh for the days of chanting "we are the one and only Wanderers" for 45 minutes solid at Molyneux.

Ex Bolton superstar striker Eider Gudjohnsen had 2 sons playing for Iceland v Liechtenstein in their 4-0 WC win at the weekend. One made a goal for the other. It might help that dad is assistant coach for the national team.

Eidur himself made his Iceland debut by coming on as a sub for his dad.

3 generations of internationals is some going, all in the space of 25 years.

Someone worked out that they only have about 30,000 blokes to pick from in the right age range.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Bolton's FA Cup 1st Round replay at Stockport is live on BBC2 tonight, 2.45 am Thai time, 7.45 pm UK time. Possible giant-killing in front of a full house, but I fancy Bolton's class to shine through.

I remember seeing these 2 meet at Edgeley Park at the turn of the century in the Championship. Those were better days.

Enjoy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, champers said:

For County fans and neutrals. Bolton fans going into meltdown on social media.

We have done our share of giant killing in the past, so can't moan too much.

Tell me about they all want the manager sacked now ???? it was a bad night but the meltdown on Social media is over dramatic to say the least 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

4 wins on the bounce now, 2-0 v Cambridge. Up to 11th from 17th 4 games ago.

Goalie James Trafford; on loan from Man City; goes into the record books as our first debutant goalie to keep 4 consecutive clean sheets. 6 foot 6", 19 years old, he is the first loanee from City in a new arrangement between Bolton and City. Maybe City will cough up £30 million in the summer for our superstar striker Dapo Afolayan.

• 3 months later...

Regular season finished and we ended up 9th. Unbeaten in our last 8 matches and the best record in the league from the beginning of February. Season highlight was the 6-0 home thrashing of the Mackems.

We did great business in the January transfer window, spending £500,000 of the £5 Million loaned to us by the UK Government. Cheers Boris & Rishi.

We have already sold more season tickets than last season; 12,000+; so further squad strengthening during the summer should see us in the playoffs at least.

Up The Whites!

• 1 month later...

England U21 goalie James Trafford has re-signed on loan for another season from Citeh.

He is joined today by 18 yr old Conor Bradley, a right-back and another year-long loan from Liverpool. He is already a full Norn Iron international but looks like he has dropped down the pecking order at Anfield after they signed Calvin Ramsay from Aberdeen.

This is the way to go now; picking up good younger players from the very top clubs, both of whom have satisfied themselves that their players will be properly looked after at BWFC.

Up the Whites!

Edited by champers
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

I thought this was a wind up at first ???? Great pr for the building manufacturer

Bolton have announced they agreed a deal with local building manufacturer Toughsheet. It means the League One side will be playing at the Toughsheet Community Stadium for the next five years.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-64704208

• Haha 2