Bolton Boys We Are Here

champers

36 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Great article. I guess that was before the days of N95 masks.

What is that big chimney where all the black smoke is coming from? 

Stuart Street power station (around where the National cycling centre is in Mcr). Guess you're not old enough to remember when all houses had coal fires, steam trains, etc.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Stuart Street power station. Guess you're not old enough to remember when all houses had coal fires, steam trains, etc.

Thanks for the info. That's an absolute beast of a chimney.

We had a coal fire growing up. But it was more of a luxury, as we also had central heating. 

10 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Complaining about the cost of fruit or veg???!!!! How old (and skint) do you think I am?

I hope I don't start complaining about the price of groceries until I'm at least double the age I am now.

You were banging on about the cost of green beans or papaya or brooms or something. What was it?

• Haha 1

Just now, Bredbury Blue said:

Man of mystery eh. Your mum's place in Altrincham is it?

Are you suggesting I'm living back with my Mum now ????

Yeah I grew up in Alty but you'll have to up your stalking game. I am somewhere nice and sunny. But not 'hanging about on Samui'.

16 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Not only did I ask @mrbojanglesa valid question, but it is an interesting one.

Why do some City fans prefer an era in which they were bad (laughably bad), to one in which they have won loads of trophies?

Could it be the 'soul' factor? There has to be some reason?

The floor is yours. 

Where are you getting that from (in bold). I've explained both the good and the bad of that season. Some fans say they prefer Maine Road over the Etihad, personal choice but no way for me. I think it's just nostalgia for the days when Mars bars were bigger, the Football pink was printed outside the club shop right after the game, the 'joy' of visiting Moss Side. Think you get the idea.

What's with this soul thing and you? And being a Red, how could you possibly know about the Soul of my club?

Edited by Bredbury Blue

9 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What's with this soul thing and you? And being a Red, how could you possibly know about the Soul of my club?

I am simply asking the question.

I take your point, that we all like a bit of football nostalgia. But very few clubs were transformed as much of yours within a short space of time. That's why I'm thinking some City fans may just feel a bit detattched from the current regime, despite the success? And that's why they yearn for the old days.

You can tell me I am wrong. It's just a hunch....

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

That's why I'm thinking some City fans may just feel a bit detattched from the current regime,

There is not one single City fan alive who would swap the old City for the one we have now.

15 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

You’re wrong and in cuckoo land

12 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Didn't take long to find.

Screenshot_2021-06-24-21-31-34-07.jpg

I'm not going to get into petty back and forth Rick.

Number 1) That guy is going on about standing and he used to love it. Fine. Didn't we all, at every club.

2) He doesn't go anymore because of family commitments. That happens to people of every club. I have many United mates who can't go anymore due to family and being skint etc. That has nothing to do with preferring the football of yester year, it just means he used to go and loved it but now he doesn't.

Every single family member and friend of mine who still have season tickets from yonder years and today much prefer the City of today and are happy to keep the olden days exactly where they are, in the history books.

That's the end of this discussion for me in the Bolton thread

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mrbojangles said:

Number 1) That guy is going on about standing and he used to love it. Fine. Didn't we all, at every club.

2) He doesn't go anymore because of family commitments. That happens to people of every club. I have many United mates who can't go anymore due to family and being skint etc. That has nothing to do with preferring the football of yester year, it just means he used to go and loved it but now he doesn't.

Every single family member and friend of mine who still have season tickets from yonder years and today much prefer the City of today and are happy to keep the olden days exactly where they are, in the history books.

OK, no hard feelings lads!

Enjoy the Euros. Sterling excellent the other day by the way.

As were the 2 United defenders.

11 hours ago, RickG16 said:

I am simply asking the question.

I take your point, that we all like a bit of football nostalgia. But very few clubs were transformed as much of yours within a short space of time. That's why I'm thinking some City fans may just feel a bit detattched from the current regime, despite the success? And that's why they yearn for the old days.

You think too much grasshopper.

Last time for you young man. There's nothing wrong with the Soul of my club. Happy now youve dragged be back in to this forum. 

11 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

He's on a wind up. I stop replying when he spouts that tripe

I have him down as a very bored young man living in Nakhon Nowhere, and this is his way to communicate with the outside world. Sad.

Enough for me also.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Spot on blue!

12 hours ago, champers said:

Thanks for reminding me the fixtures are out today; I forgot. I was going to put a reminder in my phone but I forgot to do that too.

And you are at home to Barnsley a few days later in the Carabao Cup

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I have him down as a very bored young man living in Nakhon Nowhere, and this is his way to communicate with the outside world. Sad.

Enough for me also.

Nope... I've never actually been north of Bangkok!

Just now, mrbojangles said:

This will be my first season full time in Thailand. Do they ever show Carabao Cup? With it being Thai sponsored an all

Only the semi finals and final the last couple of years. Better than the FA Cup - nothing this season just gone. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

This will be my first season full time in Thailand. Do they ever show Carabao Cup? With it being Thai sponsored an all

I remember finding earlier rounds on some random Thai channels, not 36 or even the ones which usually have sport. Definately worth a flick through.

If you have good wifi might make sense to invest in a box and get English channels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2018 at 8:07 PM, champers said:

The players wages for November being paid today, 2 weeks late. The coaching staff are affected too, still awaiting bonusses due from keeping the team up last season. Owner Ken Anderson says he is paying out of his own pocket. He, and his agent son, are thought to be taking £750,000 p.a. out of the club in salaries. Another winding up order also needs paying off.

The team's form has fallen off a cliff and manager Phil Parkinson is hot favourite to fill the vacancy at Reading. 

4500 visiting Leeds fans will bring in much needed funds tomoŕrow. The situation has got to that day-to-day stage and the club's very existence is in real danger. Ho hum.

Phil never went back to Reading, thankfully. 

Legend as a player, but not a great manager from what I see on "Undr The Cosh"  Is he now at Wrexham or is that just a rumor?

47 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Legend as a player, but not a great manager from what I see on "Undr The Cosh"  Is he now at Wrexham or is that just a rumor?

Heard the rumour about a week ago; no confirmation that I have seen yet. 

As "poorly" as he did at Bolton, he had more than 3 years in the job. I think the style of play was a bit too negative but it was a rough ride for all concerned for more than a year at the end of his time at Bolton. I wish him well, wherever he ends up.

20 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

Some of the storys on that "Undr the cosh" makes him come across as a really odd bloke i lost alot of respect for him after hearing them storys and his fall from grace does not surprise me.

Edited by Chad91

31 minutes ago, Chad91 said:

Some of the storys on that "Undr the cosh" makes him come across as a really odd bloke i lost alot of respect for him after hearing them storys and his fall from grace does not surprise me.

His heart was in the right place

I think he stood on the bridge of the Good Ship Bolton as she slid beneath the waves

I seem to remember he was not being paid but refused to leave.

But as a manager he has not been successful  anywhere and some of his tactics were questionable at the very least

30 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

His heart was in the right place

I think he stood on the bridge of the Good Ship Bolton as she slid beneath the waves

I seem to remember he was not being paid but refused to leave.

But as a manager he has not been successful  anywhere and some of his tactics were questionable at the very least

He was good with the fans and media at Bolton and it is true he wasn't being payed and refused to leave but he would of been advised that any money owed to him he would receive whether that be from the sale of assets in liquidation or new ownership. And by leaving you could be sat not earning anything for 6 months +

The storys on there make his man management skills come across as being very poor there is a good number of his ex players on there and not one of them has a good word to say about him.

The hiding in the training ground/office, the not looking people in the eye during conversation and particularly the 4-3-3 story made him come across as abit of a odd bloke probably a  nice bloke deep down but odd for the job he is in.

21 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

What was the 4-3-3 story?

I can't remember the player I think it was a Bradford lad.

He basically said  Phil wasn't picking him to start and using him in the last 20 minutes of games and he was coming on and doing well scoring goals off the bench, so every monday Phil would pull him to one side and say your starting Saturday you deserve it, Then the Saturday came and he was on the bench again he would come on for the last 20 minutes do well and Monday Phil would say your starting Saturday and this same sequence went on for 4 or 5 weeks.

Phil always calls his starting 11 in to his office on a friday to go through the tactics so on this particular Friday the lad that kept being promised a start for 5 weeks decides to storm his office during the team briefing with the starting 11 sat there, when he walks in the 11 players are sat down and there is a magnetic board with 4-4-2 set up on it,

Phil asks "how can I help, what you doing here ?" And he says "i think you forgot to shout me in your office, remember I'm starting Saturday!" Then instead of asking him to leave and have confrontation Phil looks at the ground to avoid eye contact and replies "ok yes you can start" then stands up and changes his board to a 4-3-3 and tells a young midfilder he's dropped, bare in mind they have been sat there for a good hour being briefed about this 4-4-2 they will be playing and the opposition.

The lad said he lost all respect for him after that he said he should of challenged me and ask me to leave but he didn't he just bottled it and called him a coward.

Be better if you listen to it yourself as of course the guy tells the story better than me (I might off added bits or missed bits out but that was the jist of it) I can't remember what the players name was but it wasn't a Bolton lad

Edited by Chad91

3 minutes ago, Chad91 said:

I can't remember the player I think it was a Bradford lad.

He basically said  Phil wasn't picking him to start and using him in the last 20 minutes of games and he was coming on and doing well scoring goals off the bench, so every monday Phil would pull him to one side and say your starting Saturday you deserve it, Then the Saturday came and he was on the bench again he would come on for the last 20 minutes do well and Monday Phil would say your starting Saturday and this same sequence went on for 4 or 5 weeks.

Phil always calls his starting 11 in to his office on a friday to go through the tactics so on this particular Friday the lad that kept being promised a start for 5 weeks decides to storm his office during the team briefing with the starting 11 sat there, when he walks in he the players are sat down and there is a magnetic board with 4-4-2 set up on it,

Phil asks "how can I help, what you doing here ?" And he says "i think you forgot to shout me in your office, remember I'm starting Saturday!" Then instead of asking him to leave and gave confrontation Phil looks at the ground to avoid eye contact and replies "ok yes you can start" then stands up and changes his board to a 4-3-3 and tells a young midfilder he's dropped, bare in mind they have been sat there for a good hour being briefed about the 4-4-2 and the opposition.

The lad said he lost all respect for him after that he said he should of challenged me and ask me to leave but he didn't he just bottled it and called him a coward.

Be better if you listen to it yourself as of course the guy tells the story better than me (I might off added bits or missed bits out but that was the jist of it) I can't remember what the players name was but it wasn't a Bolton lad

Wow...

Sorry, are you talking about Phil Neal or Phil Parkinson?