I Could Use Some Advice

I am attempting to move to bangkok this year and would like some advice on which visa to apply for. I lived in thailand for 7 years and attended international school there, but father no longer lives there. My mother isa thai citizen but lives in america. Any ideas?

Jeff, nationalty american, age 26

Move as in working here? You could obtain Thai citizenship/passport and not require a visa but you seem to be of military age so that would be a problem - others have been there/done that so perhaps can advise you on that path.

You should try to arrive with a non immigrant visa but if not at least an official tourist visa (if flying one way you will probably need a visa to board aircraft). The only way you are going to be able to stay here is with investments or getting a job. The former will be at least 2 million baht to set up a company (I could be wrong as not involved in that) or 3 to 10 million investment (believe 10 million is current policy). To obtain employment outside of teaching English is not easy and for teaching English degree is needed to obtain a work permit (required for work here).

I would start by reading all the information on the main web site about Visas and work and then you will have specific questions that we may be able to address better.

Thanks for the advice guys. I think i am just going to get my 3 month visa, then leave every few months like most people. I do have some job interviews lined up, so maybe i'll luck out and get work permit.cheers for the advice though

-soidog1

He can talk to a miltary attache in the Thai Embassy Washington Lop, it shouldn't be too tough to get an exemption from military service at 26 years. Then he can start the process of becoming a Thai citizen. That'd simplify his planning.

or become a good tennis player really quick