US man so pleased to get back cash left in taxi that he’s moving here

webfact

5 hours ago, madmen said:
5 hours ago, drayger said:
Who in the hell walks around with 310,000 baht cash and if you did how can you be so stupid to leave it in a taxi some people aren't safe to be let out alone. I have a hard job believing this type of story

Thousands of people carry sub 10 grand in cash as its not declared when coming through customs

Data pulled straight from the Tourism Authority’s archives. ????

• Haha 2

With the extra fees in the new Thai Bank scam on withdrawls, many an expat/retiree will be dungling around,  big amounts of ca$h....better start to shop around for some heavy duty safes and bring in somebody from abroad if you can afford it, to mount it in a well hidden area at home !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Walking around with 300k cash while on holiday. Right.

We’re overdue for one of these stories, and right in the middle of a tourism drop, so I’m not buying it just like I don’t buy the others. 

I usually roll off the plane with 200K plus, saves on bank fees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, CeeGee said:

can someone refer me to the "Taxi driver rips off(insults,refuses fare,plays with himself etc) story's as I appear to have missed the one that usually appears just before this type of "news" item.

I lost my wallet once in China and it was returned to me at my hotel but I never thought of that as a basis to move to China

And especially being a cop, you'd think he'd know better...

Maybe he was one of those "if I'm supposed to stay here, give me a sign" prayer types, and saw this as his "sign"?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, webfact said:

An American former police officer visiting Bangkok has made up his mind to retire in Thailand after a taxi driver returned US$9,800 (Bt310,000) he’d inadvertently left in the cab.

Good thing he did not leave money in a taxi in Afghanistan and it was returned to him. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, drayger said:

Who in the hell walks around with 310,000 baht cash and if you did how can you be so stupid to leave it in a taxi some people aren't safe to be let out alone. I have a hard job believing this type of story

I can understand if you were in Laos with 300,000 kip because their money is worthless but walking around with 300,000 baht you would have to scratch your head on this one. He better lap it up things soon change when you retire here. The guy in the brown uniform might not be his best friend then lol

1 minute ago, balo said:

Another media circus at the police station, why don't they just give the old man back his money so he can give that taxi driver his reward and get the hell out of there?   

Does this happen in other countries ? 

The whole police force is a circus headed by the BIG JOKE Nobody and I mean the local population takes them serious

• Like 1
  • Haha 1