Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

13 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

he who dies with the most toys wins

Ah maybe elsewhere, but the 'ownership' rules in Thailand surely thwart and diminish the aspirations of the insecure trinket collectors - maybe this is part of the reason they return to their natural habitat

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

On 12/5/2018 at 7:29 PM, Peterw42 said:

Maybe climate, beaches etc comes into the equation for Brits and Europeans

Europe has fine climate in Spain and Portugal. Greek islands are also wonderful. Australia also has finest beaches in the World. The only cold place with no escape route I can think of is Canada. Unless one has a girl friend, kids, or wife's family, I don't see any reason to live in Thailand. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

I live in one bed room (not studio) condo for 10K/month. It is a brand new condo and still selling for 2.4 million baht. It will take me 20 years to recover my money. Why shouldn't I rent? Rent is cheap in Thailand. If I'm bored, I can go to Benidorm/Las Vegas/Lisbon and live there for a few moths. Why should I buy a condo to tie up my money here in Thailand? 
Funny. People I have know from 10 years ago still use that excuse. Suitcase packed by the door and ready to go in a moments notice.... Except... They never do

Fact is 90% of farang have never seen 5 million to 20 million in hard cash and never will but like to join the rent is cheap debate

Rent is not cheap. Shitty fan rooms are cheap. Let's not confuse the 2

2 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Not really sure how that has anything to do with the price of stuff in Thailand. 

if your living expenses are $100k p.a. but you save $150k p.a. in taxes because living in Thailand will you mind "Thai" prices?

If dude’s living in a 2.4M condo and paying 10k a month for it, what would the benefit be in buying it?

Odd question. Why would anybody buy a home? I bought lower Sukhumvit 5 minutes walk from Nana bts sub 5 million 13 years ago 74sqm and rented right now for 45k a month on air bnb. Try getting that return elsewhere..location... Location... LOCATION!  

. Not long to go before saving rent pays for the condo (I only rent it high season when I travel)

I know nothing about the "dudes" condo which kind of kills the location factor.

That's why I'm surprised why you would ask the question with zero knowledge and expect me to comment

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I were American, I'd probably be living in Florida.

Florida - Hot and muggy. California (San Diego or San Francisco area) is better if one could afford. I like Las Vegas. Reasonably priced city. Hot but dry. More importantly, instant fun on demand if you have money. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, madmen said:
36 minutes ago, onera1961 said:
I live in one bed room (not studio) condo for 10K/month. It is a brand new condo and still selling for 2.4 million baht. It will take me 20 years to recover my money. Why shouldn't I rent? Rent is cheap in Thailand. If I'm bored, I can go to Benidorm/Las Vegas/Lisbon and live there for a few moths. Why should I buy a condo to tie up my money here in Thailand? 

Funny. People I have know from 10 years ago still use that excuse. Suitcase packed by the door and ready to go in a moments notice.... Except... They never do

Fact is 90% of farang have never seen 5 million to 20 million in hard cash and never will but like to join the rent is cheap debate

Rent is not cheap. Shitty fan rooms are cheap. Let's not confuse the 2

:clap2:

14 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Wouldn't know, im not yet a geriatric retiree. 

But at least we are getting into the real reasons people choose to live here. And I see nothing wrong with this btw. I originally came here for the wimmin too, but I never deluded myself into thinking that this was a magical, cheap place from the heavens. If I could go back and do it over, I would have kept Thailand as a holiday destination for blow-outs instead of moving here. Living here and contributing financially to a society that generally only tolerates you because of money isnt really all that great. 

Agree, the partying and blowouts as a tourist are pretty awesome.

The day to day life, sooner or later the glitter wears out and you are stuck in the third world.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Bought a LG 60" TV this week, 20kbht, that's cheaper than the UK price 550gbp or the US price $650

Got my kid an Oppo F9 phone, 9k5bht, US price $340

So both cheaper in Thailand

20K baht is US $625. During the sales from Thanksgiving to Christmas you can get 60" tvs cheaper in the US

65" Smart TV $599 for one example

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-65-class-led-d-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6305756.p?skuId=6305756&ref=212&loc=1&extStoreId=512&ds_rl=1260573&ds_rl=1266837&ref=212&loc=1&ds_rl=1266837&gclid=CjwKCAiAl7PgBRBWEiwAzFhmmmTb_57MQ0EZKz4O5CuNjvNOLW8KkpUQidyLlxrS7B-DjxqROk0f-hoCaXAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

And that is retail store price, cheaper if you shop around the internet

Here are some examples of TV prices of all sizes

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/tvs-lcd-tv-led-tv-and-plasma-tv-screens/1088.cp?xid=hdr_shop3_electronics_tvs-home-theater_tvs-displays

So all in all, you are not saving anything 

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Lifestyle? I have a newish, modern 30sqm one bedroom condo that is perfect for me and me alone with a high floor city view and a swimming pool. I have AC and a Big Screen TV that hasnt been turned on in a week. I have a friendly rooster down in the alleys that screams all night, Ill miss him when Im back. I go wherever I want and do whatever I want, when I want. I eat Thai food and love to see and discover new places (to me), not the same old interstates and strip malls and Walgreens and snow and ice and Fast Food joints. I going to cruise Cambodia in a little while. I work on my photography. I dont have to worry about taking care of cars, mowing lawns, fixing doors, cleaning the garage. I open my eyes and see beauty in everything, even Eastern Jungle Crows pecking at a dead turtle. I get up when I want and go to sleep when I feel like it. I take naps. I buy whatever I want, whenever I want it. I laugh and joke with Thai people. Im not touching my capital. That seems like a good lifestyle to me.

Quite a different lifestyle than your high roller days in Vegas or jetting off to Paris on a whim.

8 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

20K baht is US $625. During the sales from Thanksgiving to Christmas you can get 60" tvs cheaper in the US

All electronics and cars are cheaper in the US. Every month BestBuy does sales. A small town has a dozen car dealers and almost all do sales and all manufacturers give cash back for most American cars and Japanese cars are available for no interest payment and sometimes with cash back also.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onera1961 said:

Florida - Hot and muggy. California (San Diego or San Francisco area) is better if one could afford. I like Las Vegas. Reasonably priced city. Hot but dry. More importantly, instant fun on demand if you have money. 

I had a great laugh reading Florida is Hot and Muggy.

Never really gets about 94F in summer

After living in Thailand for 10 years, Florida heat is nothing nor is the humidity

Thailand has that distinction hands down

12 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

Well sir, you could just as easily watch tv or play on the internet from a rented room in Australia.

Maybe, even saunter down to the local pub and meet some new friends that can speak English with you.

Certainly you didn't move all the way to Thailand to get away from people working all the time?

People work to pay for things so they don't end up in Thailand in their older years in a one room flat

That's life, that is what you need to do if you want to be able to retire with any kind of assets.

What you have my friend is time, plenty of time to be alone.

That isn't living at all!

Hmmm, married, have a nice house that before you second guess anything like you have so far, that my wife had before our marriage. 

Hate to say it, you got it in this case, very, very wrong. Just spent a wonderful five days down in Sukhothai then up to Nan.

Just very, very wrong... I am being very pleasant in my reply as you do not know anything about me nor should you but you should be very careful about what you assume about people. You know nothing about myself, my family or my background and being spiteful in reply thinking you know everything in my view, is very 'god' like.

Edited by totally thaied up
Edit - add content
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

Lol... you are a handful. 

My wife is a practicing Accountant, has been accepted this year into further studies. Her English is at a high level, we talk about current events and news from all around the world. My Thai is average. Not great but I can get by in reading and basic writing. No, I don't toddle along with my wife. We are a team.

Why do you bother with TV? You just like to stir people and I am one of the people you should not be attacking but you do. I generally agree with what you say but hell, you don't seem to get it. Some of us do like it here.

There you go another one using the word attacking.

I post my opinions, they just so happen to differ from yours.

Nothing wrong with that is there? You want everyone on TV to pat each other on the back and agree with everything posted here? Even the outrageous?

We are all grown men with our own opinions, can always turn the page or change the channel

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

hird, like many posters have said, it is hard to believe folks get to the end of their days with 30,000 baht a month. You think that is a great thing? You think they grew up believing some day they would retire in a utopia known as Thailand, where 99% cannot even understand the language or read a basic sign?

I'm guessing that will be seen as a lot of money by most youngsters these days when they retire (if they don't have to work until they drop). Our expectations were considerably higher than those that came before us, or will follow us.

Born in 1950 seems to be the peak of the retirement expectation curve.

(I missed it by 5 and expect less, those who missed it by 15 appear to expect much less)

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1