Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

On 12/8/2018 at 1:28 AM, 473geo said:

Accepted to an extent, moaners who moan for the sake of a moan, will moan regardless of financial status, in which case their criticisms/opinions are not valid in the discussion

Most retirees I know out in the rural areas have built a home, so they are not too concerned about ownership ????

Yes-because they don't own it!

Foreign tombstones I call them-their houses,I mean.

I think most expats opinions here are influenced more by the places they have been/lived in rather than how much money they have got. If you come from an advanced society, where everything is clean, orderly and logical, then I think initial impressions on LOS would be rather negative. If, on the other hand, you are from a less developed country then Thailand would appear more positive. I think it also boils down to individual peoples expectations and preconceptions of Asian culture. Some people find it easy to adjust to the Asian lifestyle, others, myself included, find it more difficult. Fortunately most people who come here as tourists do not have to worry about that, as they only get to see the thin, superficial veil atop the dark, lurid underbelly that exists here.

KP.

Edited by KhunProletariat

5 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Yes-because they don't own it!

Foreign tombstones I call them-their houses,I mean.

Really - our modest home is built for the family, I would not be going to cash it in at any time, do not consider it as an asset, but a home, and part of the future for my wife and children.  There are no considerations regarding 'ownership' required, or 30 year leases for that matter. Quite simply if I move on I move on, if the marriage is good and lasts for years I benefit by not paying rent, really that easy. So 'ownership' non issue.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I would not be going to cash it in at any time,

It's not about 'cashing it in', it's about being chucked out by your wife while she moves in her real husband who's been around the whole time she was 'playing' you. What if the marriage was never good, apart from in your mind, and you were the fool the entire time?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

You're right. Those of us that have worked in the offshore oil business for 42 years have been poorly paid and have no savings.

So you claim you went to a private school followed by a degree that allowed you to earn a lot of money in the oil business?

Edited by BritManToo

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

So you claim you went to a private school followed by a degree that allowed you to earn a lot of money in the oil business?

Does my post claim anything?

As you seem to be rolling in money, why can't you afford the best education money can buy in Thailand for your kid?

Is it because it's YOU that doesn't have much money, therefore a cheap government school?

If that's the case, then fine. You're doing your best. But, if you have lots of money like you implicitly imply and still send your kid to a government school, then you don't sound like much of a parent.

PS. I try not to judge people according to how much money they have.

On 12/6/2018 at 9:14 AM, BritManToo said:

It doesn't matter how much money I have, I can't make the UK warmer or drier.

Or more friendly or have better, healthier, more affordable food.

The amount of money you have has zero relationship to loving living in paradise. If you can't afford to be here, well, that pretty much sucks for anywhere on this planet. I suppose there's some place in the middle of Africa that's less expensive overall. Maybe. Thailand's quality quotient far outweighs any quantity issues, IMHO.

29 minutes ago, Joe Mcseismic said:

As you seem to be rolling in money, why can't you afford the best education money can buy in Thailand for your kid?

Is it because it's YOU that doesn't have much money, therefore a cheap government school?

You seem to have forgotten what this disagreement was about,

You claim in order to earn lots of money you need a good education whereas I claim you don't need a good education to make lots of money.

I have a very good education, but not a lot of money, you have no education but claim to have a lot of money.

Proving my hypothesis, and disproving your hypothesis.

But you clearly can't understand logic all that much, and I'll just add you to my ignore list.

Edited by BritManToo

26 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You seem to have forgotten what this disagreement was about,

You claim in order to earn lots of money you need a good education whereas I claim you don't need a good education to make lots of money.

I have a very good education, but not a lot of money, you have no education but claim to have a lot of money.

Proving my hypothesis, and disproving your hypothesis.

But you clearly can't understand logic all that much, and I'll just add you to my ignore list.

Why do you think that I have no education?

You presume a lot about me. Somehow you try to build a house with only three house-bricks. It doesn't work.

If you have a good education but, couldn't translate that into worldly wealth, it doesn't follow that educated people can't get rich, or that uneducated people can get rich.

A good education gives you the tools to make money, should you wish without having to become an entrepreneur.

No education, you have to either have some other talent, or, become an entrepreneur.

As you now have admitted that you're not loaded, then I understand why you send your kid to a government school. If you had said this earlier, both of us could have avoided taking up useless band-width.

I think we both got the answers we wanted, so, there's not really more to say.

7 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

Fortunately most people who come here as tourists do not have to worry about that, as they only get to see the thin, superficial veil atop the dark, lurid underbelly that exists here.

If you want to see a dark, lurid underbelly, come to the US, I show you some places that will make you want to camp out down on Soi Keha Pattana 3 in Khlong Toei

12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

It's not about 'cashing it in', it's about being chucked out by your wife while she moves in her real husband who's been around the whole time she was 'playing' you. What if the marriage was never good, apart from in your mind, and you were the fool the entire time?

I am 12 years into our relationship, it owes me nothing, I hope it continues life is good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

So you won't be complaining like the 76-year-old when she cheats you out of your home?

Nope because it is my wife and the childrens home, as provider for the family I provided it.

I only require use of it while we remain a family and I am welcome.

As explained previously if the time does come when I must move on, pack rucksack and on I go. House won't fit in ????

• Like 1

Everything that we think, do and say is influenced by how much money we have. I live here because I can live rather well on a paltry 80 thousand baht a month. It's sad that there are those who think I should be asked to leave because I can't put a million baht lump sum in the bank. I come from the cultural wasteland of Alabama and even though it is one of the lowest cost states in the union, I could not live as well there as I do here. It also helps to have an interesting environment when you are a retired 68 year old.

49 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

It also helps to have an interesting environment when you are a retired 68 year old.

Living ANYWHERE for 68 years destroys the interesting factor. New visions, new world. The World is Wide and Life is short.

Not required in most employment. Richard Branson didn't even finish high school.
Although middle-class people who never make much money all seem to have degrees of some sort.

Let's face it, the guys all shouting, education, education, education are without exception small-time losers.
Else we wouldn't be living in Thailand.

Richard Branson had hugely supportive parents and was educated at one of Britain’s most expensive and prestigious independent schools.He left slightly earlier than usual but still had a fantastic education.

But it’s true that very successful entrepreneurs like Branson or Bill Gates tend not to bother much about beginning or finishing a university degree.

However most don’t fall into that category and most successful businessmen have some kind of degree.

And not withstanding their own background I don’t know any successful person who is not a believer in the value of education.The future is so uncertain that it’s not really clear what advice we should be giving our children.I strongly suspect fewer will be doing non vocational degrees, so to that extent I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Richard Branson had hugely supportive parents and was educated at one of Britain’s most expensive and prestigious independent schools.He left slightly earlier than usual but still had a fantastic education.

But it’s true that very successful entrepreneurs like Branson or Bill Gates tend not to bother much about beginning or finishing a university degree.

However most don’t fall into that category and most successful businessmen have some kind of degree.

And not withstanding their own background I don’t know any successful person who is not a believer in the value of education.The future is so uncertain that it’s not really clear what advice we should be giving our children.I strongly suspect fewer will be doing non vocational degrees, so to that extent I agree with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The issue is that the percentage of people with degree (at least in the US) has skyrocketed and continues to rise, and the average quality of the graduates has plummeted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

The issue is that the percentage of people with degree (at least in the US) has skyrocketed and continues to rise, and the average quality of the graduates has plummeted.

https://blog.prepscholar.com/average-sat-scores-over-time

Whatever the cause, an analysis of average test scores—as well as literacy levels—over time confirms that rising GPAs are not a reflection of increasing academic achievement.

https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2015/01/same-performance-better-grades/384447/

Edited by marcusarelus

23 hours ago, mogandave said:

Who thinks you should be asked to leave?

While 80k is a paltry amount, it is over the minimum requirement and it is enough to scratch out a living, particularly if you’re up-county.

there is something wrong, if an expat cant live extremely well on 80,000 thb per month...i dont think its "paltry' amount to live in thailand

• Like 1

there is something wrong, if an expat cant live extremely well on 80,000 thb per month...i dont think its "paltry' amount to live in thailand

It depends on where in Thailand you live and what you do to occupy your time.

If you have a nice place in s good area of Bangkok eat out often and party a little, 80K is not that much.

If live in cheap apartment, eat cheap and don’t party much, it’s a lot.

Personally, I would rather live in rural Alabama than rural Thailand. I imagine it would cost about the same, probably less in the US if you’re “poor” and consider the benefits.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Like I have said in other posts, I struggle to spend 45K a month. I have to buy shit I dont need or do shit I never bother doing at home.

• Like 1