Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

3 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Yep if someone is here on an expat employment package, with all perks that provides then its an easy choice. Same standard of living as home. I also agree that 35 is too young to settle here, although ive been "settled" here since my early 20's more or less. 

I have a suspicion that the "digital nomad" existence will get extremely old for those guys once the glamor of moving to Thailand wears off, and you have to deal with the day to day life. 

I wouldn't worry about their or others' motivation. People make choices and live with the consequences. For an (assumed) educated someone of 35 who has spent maybe the last 10 or so years living in Thailand I would think they have lost out on substantial asset appreciation (house or apartment) compared to their peers in say London or New York (or maybe that has been unusually anticipated and planned for?). So already you might be behind the curve unless that is one expects to come into receipt of a substantial inheritance somewhere down the line, in which case none of this discussion really matters.

Edited by SheungWan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I wouldn't worry about their or others' motivation. People make choices and live with the consequences. For an (assumed) educated someone of 35 who has spent maybe the last 10 or so years living in Thailand I would think they have lost out on substantial asset appreciation (house or apartment) compared to their peers in say London or New York (or maybe that has been unusually anticipated and planned for?). So already you might be behind the curve unless that is one expects to come into receipt of a substantial inheritance somewhere down the line, in which case none of this discussion really matters.

Nah im ahead of the curve. All my cash goes into US banks and my retirement finds are contributed for the max allowable by law per year, plus my investment accounts. My money & investments will never come to Thailand. Someone once said never bring to Thailand what you aren't prepared to completely walk away from, and I took that to heart a long time ago. I had a really nice house in the US before, but since I was still spending most of my time in Thailand it was a waste of money - so I sold it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Nice/quality things here are more expensive than at least where im from.

nice/quality things like our cook, our maid, our gardener and our driver? where are you from? Bangla Desh? Ethiopia? Mali? Central African Republic?

next! :coffee1:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Because other than the weather, food, hobbies and football, its probably all that most of us dudes care about.

I as being sarcastic as it’s usually his go to post when anyone discusses anything sex related. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

the impact emotionally would be harder but not as hard strangely as when i lost my first house back in Australia

The impact emotionally is the hardest thing. Making money back is not that hard if you got just a start-up package to get you on your feet again. My ex-wife, I loved so much and she was my weakness. Only a month after getting Australian Citizenship, she sunk me with her divorcing me and bringing her old Flipino boyfriend to Australia. I lost 100's of thousands and then had my business partner sink me at the same time as I got very sick from the stress.

It is true; have a weakness for women and have a dollar to spend, you can end up a fool. Just not in Thailand but anywhere in the world. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

have a weakness for women and have a dollar to spend, you can end up a fool.

Then again you can always look at it this way from Orson Wells' Citizen Kane (1941):

Charles Foster Kane: You're right, I did lose a million dollars last year. I expect to lose a million dollars this year. I expect to lose a million dollars next year. You know, Mr. Thatcher, at the rate of a million dollars a year, I'll have to close this place in... 60 years.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

My ex-wife, I loved so much and she was my weakness. Only a month after getting Australian Citizenship, she sunk me with her divorcing me and bringing her old Flipino boyfriend to Australia. I lost 100's of thousands and then had my business partner sink me at the same time as I got very sick from the stress.

Horrible story no doubt but unfortunately common. 

What I dont understand is people that have been through all this crap, and then come to Thailand and buy their entire retirement future in a local woman's name. Like, you got burned in a western country where youre entitled to "half" then move to a country where you are entitled to nothing and put it all in a woman's name. Makes no sense. 

Several in this thread have done just that. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Naam said:

nice/quality things like our cook, our maid, our gardener and our driver? where are you from? Bangla Desh? Ethiopia? Mali? Central African Republic?

next!

Cars, consumer items, electronics, brand name clothes, wine, western food types like meats & cheeses - basically anything imported, and thats pretty much everything. 

You know its true. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Horrible story no doubt but unfortunately common. 

What I dont understand is people that have been through all this crap, and then come to Thailand and buy their entire retirement future in a local woman's name. Like, you got burned in a western country where youre entitled to "half" then move to a country where you are entitled to nothing and put it all in a woman's name. Makes no sense. 

Several in this thread have done just that. 

All one can do is relate your story and hope maybe it helps someone. 

If your wife can't get a loan for a house look for another wife.  By all means help her pay off the loan but don't buy the house outright. 

Thai women do not do well outside of Thailand.  If you can't stay here find a wife somewhere else. 

Be worth more alive than dead. 

Always have an ace in the hole. 

A little secret that nobody knows.

Don't put it all on the line for just one roll.

In money or love, or all the above,
Have a little more than what you show.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

Cars, consumer items, electronics, brand name clothes, wine, western food types like meats & cheeses - basically anything imported, and thats pretty much everything. 

You know its true. 

Well lets check eh?  1.  How much is a car and professional driver for the day?  2.  How much are clothes from Uniqlo?  3.  How much is boneless chicken meat?  4.  How much is pork?  5.  How much does it cost to have a tech build a gaming computer?  6.  I am going to the bank to make my house payment on my new house and buy cheese and wine.  I start out with 49,236 baht (average new mortgage Florida) - make my house payment on my new house in Thailand and I have 35,236 left over to buy cheese and wine. 

So what do you think?  Is my cheese and wine so expensive?

Edited by marcusarelus

Life is what you make of it. I offer no advice, all are welcome to their opinions, usually based on experience. I have never really planned ahead. At 20 I lost two very good friends, I figured I would probably not make it past 30! Yet here I am, had a great life, one divorce, I deserved for being too much of a drunken prat, so no recriminations on that one.

One house left with a Thai girlfriend, we had fun times but again I was not faithful husband material.

Now I have found the love of my life, we have a home, children, I no longer drink, and life is good.

Am I well funded, no not really, I've lived life hard and fast, but I was a little fortunate in that I worked for a company or two that insisted I put into a personal pension fund.

We will see how it works out, at the moment all is good, I still work 'away' in the UK for a few more years then I think I can enjoy the release from the treadmill called life in the west. ????

22 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Your condescension is showing...

I wrote, "All one can do is relate your story and hope maybe it helps someone. 

If your wife can't get a loan for a house look for another wife.  By all means help her pay off the loan but don't buy the house outright."

I don't see how that is condescension.  It's not difficult to get a house loan in Thailand.  I was referring to anyone in Thailand although you get half if divorced it seems sound to me to make mortgage payments or in defacto rent rather than buy.  

1 hour ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:
8 hours ago, Naam said:

next!

You know its true. 

yes, true for an American IRS slave. but not all expats in Thailand are IRS slaves.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

electronics

Bought a LG 60" TV this week, 20kbht, that's cheaper than the UK price 550gbp or the US price $650

Got my kid an Oppo F9 phone, 9k5bht, US price $340

So both cheaper in Thailand

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Did you read the first line? I'm not here because I have to be, I'm here because I want to be. I have more than enough to make me comfortable in whichever home I chose to live in. I like the lifestyle here, when I go back I'll Cruise in my fun ancient pickup or have gf drive me around in the M5. 

BTW, I've cruised here 20 times? 

My kid will have what's left when I'm gone, she doesn't need it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

You should explain what lifestyle you like in Thailand exactly?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Maybe some of us like the culture, the food, the people and are tired of living the same old life in the USA.

Plus I hate winter.

Must be great living somewhere where you have no idea what people around you are saying.

• Sad 1