Are Expat's Opinions of Thailand Influenced by how much money they have?

bwpage3

52 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lived in Spain and Portugal, a bit too desert-like (dusty and rocky) for me. I'm told Greek is more of the same.

I prefer tropical.

That would be my preference, as well.

Considering I've resided within the torrid zone most of my life.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I thought you wanted to compare like with like, quality not cheap Chinese products.

Not sure what you are referring to, however, do a little research into the factories that make big screen tv's

You might be surprised by what you find out. 

Many different brands are made by the exact same factory and in the USA, they all have the same warranty

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I still need to know how an older single guy, who goes to sleep most nights at 9pm, who just likes to look at new and different sh*t and have a nice meal and be mellow can spend more than 40-50K a month.

I brought all the clothes I need with me.

I have mass transit and can basically fly anywhere I want for $100 or less.

I have a TV, phone, tablet and computer.

I dont wear jewelery. I left the Rollie home. I dont need custom suits thats like putting a tutu on a pig.

Last night I had a fabulous meal, Pad Krapow Squid and Fried Chicken Wings with Lemongrass. $15. Thats a $30 meal at home.

My hobby is being a bad photographer. Which means I need to buy every little gadget I can possibly misuse. I have spent more on such sillies than rent. What the hell.

So dudes, what is there to spend money on other than booze or women? OK, cars maybe. But what else?

Im INCREASING my capital by living here. My monthly costs of gas and car washes at home were almost the cost of my rent. So its like Im making money and living in a cool place while doing nothing.

According to your previous jet setting posts, you are now not living the same; confined to a one room condo.

As many have mentioned, a person can live as cheap as they want in Thailand.

If a one room condo and being alone with your hobbies is your low cost happiness, good for you.

Many others have wives, kids, tuition, you know the drill.

Maybe someday you will want companionship or more than your hobbies, they you will see a rise in cost.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I still need to know how an older single guy, who goes to sleep most nights at 9pm, who just likes to look at new and different sh*t and have a nice meal and be mellow can spend more than 40-50K a month.

I could easily do the same if I lived in a condo the size of a hotel room with no car. 

But I don't want to live in a condo the size of a hotel room with no car. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, UncleTouchyFingers said:

I could easily do the same if I lived in a condo the size of a hotel room with no car. 

But I don't want to live in a condo the size of a hotel room with no car. 

Yeah but thats you. So you spend your money on a big place and a car. Thats cool.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

According to your previous jet setting posts, you are now not living the same; confined to a one room condo.

Im not "confined" anywhere, I can go aynywhere I want, when I want and do whatever I want when I want to do it.

Makes you jealous does it?

• Like 1

I had a great laugh reading Florida is Hot and Muggy.

Never really gets about 94F in summer

After living in Thailand for 10 years, Florida heat is nothing nor is the humidity

Thailand has that distinction hands down

I grew up in SoCal and was used to summer days 95-105.

Moved to FL in ‘78.

The day I got there (it was late May) I was the was the hottest I’d ever been in my life, that night dude on the radio said the high was 87...

There are a lot of nice areas of FL, but a lot of not-nice areas as well.

I spend a month a year in Point Loma, used to be nice, can’t beat the weather. Might retire there when the kid’s out of school.

FL? Lot of friends there, but no thanks.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

I brought all the clothes I need with me.

I have mass transit and can basically fly anywhere I want for $100 or less.

I have a TV, phone, tablet and computer.

I dont wear jewelery. I left the Rollie home. I dont need custom suits thats like putting a tutu on a pig.

Last night I had a fabulous meal, Pad Krapow Squid and Fried Chicken Wings with Lemongrass. $15. Thats a $30 meal at home.

My hobby is being a bad photographer. Which means I need to buy every little gadget I can possibly misuse. I have spent more on such sillies than rent. What the hell.

So dudes, what is there to spend money on other than booze or women? OK, cars maybe. But what else?

Im INCREASING my capital by living here. My monthly costs of gas and car washes at home were almost the cost of my rent. So its like Im making money and living in a cool place while doing nothing.

Since you appear to have no cultural interests other than eating and taking snaps, it's not surprising you can exist on a pittance.

On 12/9/2018 at 10:27 PM, madmen said:

Funny. People I have know from 10 years ago still use that excuse. Suitcase packed by the door and ready to go in a moments notice.... Except... They never do

Fact is 90% of farang have never seen 5 million to 20 million in hard cash and never will but like to join the rent is cheap debate

Rent is not cheap. Shitty fan rooms are cheap. Let's not confuse the 2

Actually given the oversupply of condos in Bangkok rent is often the better way (not to mention other benefits of flexibility etc).

The rule of thumb is that annual rent is about 5% of capital value. On this basis, there are some very cheap rentals available.

I say this as an owner of a house.

Actually given the oversupply of condos in Bangkok rent is often the better way (not to mention other benefits of flexibility etc).

The rule of thumb is that annual rent is about 5% of capital value. On this basis, there are some very cheap rentals available.

I say this as an owner of a house.

Sure rent out in bearing where expats are forced to live due to budget is going to be a lot cheaper than where I have my condo on lower Sukhumvit.

Try getting cheap rent between Asoke and Nana.

Anybody can point into the distance and say there is cheap rent 30km that way based on Capitol value however capital value is low for good reason

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

Since you appear to have no cultural interests other than eating and taking snaps, it's not surprising you can exist on a pittance.

And what cultural things am I missing then?????

Going to Khon Dance upcoming for 200 baht? Visiting Museums for a few baht?

Please enlighten me.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, madmen said:

Sure rent out in bearing where expats are forced to live due to budget is going to be a lot cheaper than where I have my condo on lower Sukhumvit.

Try getting cheap rent between Asoke and Nana

That assumes one wants to live in that area.

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

And what cultural things am I missing then?????

Going to Khon Dance upcoming for 200 baht? Visiting Museums for a few baht?

Please enlighten me.

If you have to ask the question, you could not possibly understand the answer.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jayboy said:

If you have to ask the question, you could not possibly understand the answer.

Please excuse my ignorance Oh Learned One, I was hoping to bask in the light of your knowledge.

I think Ill take pics of GoGo girls instead of Temples then.

3 hours ago, Cryingdick said:
On 12/9/2018 at 12:03 PM, Naam said:

nice/quality things like our cook, our maid, our gardener and our driver? where are you from? Bangla Desh? Ethiopia? Mali? Central African Republic?

next! :coffee1:

When you become so out of touch that people become things... lol

people don't become what i quote but how i/we treat them. the fact that three of our four employees are longer than ten years with us speaks for itself.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Please excuse my ignorance Oh Learned One, I was hoping to bask in the light of your knowledge.

preferably nekkid ones! :laugh:

• Like 1

It’s nothing to do with Thai culture - of little moment or interest compared with those of the great civilizations of Japan, China and Renaissance Europe for example.

It’s to do with the mindset of foreigners who have no knowledge or appreciation of any high culture.They are therefore happy with the superficial life of a Thailand expatriate (obviously not talking about those who have been sent here to do a proper job of work)

I don’t blame these people and understand the attraction of the dolce vita.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

31 minutes ago, jayboy said:

It’s nothing to do with Thai culture - of little moment or interest compared with those of the great civilizations of Japan, China and Renaissance Europe for example.

Reaaaly? So, for example, you arent fascinated by the evolution in Thai art between the time of the Khmer Empire and the fall of Ayuthaya? Nor are you interested in the correlation between the Shamanistic practices of Siberia and the Saiyasat of Thailand? You arent one of those superficial expats are you?

Guess when I spend my next $100 flying up North, Ill just go to Karaoke bars as opposed to hanging with the Hmong.

In other words, your original post was just a gratuitous insult made with total lack of knowledge. And your next post indicates that you take a jaundiced view of what constitutes High Civilization. I assume you find the Pieta more artistically significant than the the Phra Buddha Chinnarat? Would you care to tell us why? Would it be the pagan greek formulaic influence on Michaelangelos depiction of the human form as opposed to the formulaic subduing Mara posture of the Buddha? If so, have you considered the socio/religious/historical significance of both in terms of art qua art? If the Pieta is religion incarnated in realism, is it not then art limited to a portion of the human experience? As opposed to the more abstract Phra Buddha Chinnarat which, although ripe with formulaic symbolism, is a more universal form of art? In the same way that Picassos Guernica speaks more to the horrors of war then say Ruben's The Consequences of War? Or is it Architecture we need to discuss?

Please enlighten me as to how I am culturally deprived by cruising this cool country taking pictures?

PS..Been to Japan and Europe more than once. How bout you? Hey you been to Siberia? 

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Like 1