Trump to pick State Department spokeswoman for U.N. ambassador -source

webfact

Trump to pick State Department spokeswoman for U.N. ambassador -source

2018-12-07T013518Z_1_LYNXMPEEB6031_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-UN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Spokesperson Heather Nauert (L) speaks as U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo holds a dialogue with reporters in his plane while flying from Panama to Mexico, October 18, 2018. Brendan Smialowski/Pool via REUTERS/File Photo

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump has decided to name State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert as the ambassador to the United Nations, a source familiar with his decision said on Thursday.

Trump will send a tweet on Friday morning about choosing Nauert to replace outgoing U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley, who announced her resignation in October, Fox News reported, citing multiple sources.

Trump's decision was first reported by Bloomberg News.

A representative of the State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Haley has held the post since the beginning of Trump's administration and said she would stay in the job through the end of the year.

Nauert, whose nomination would require Senate confirmation, is a former Fox News Channel correspondent and anchor. She does not have prior political or policy-making experience.

Nauert became the State Department spokeswoman in April 2017 and, earlier this year, was named the acting undersecretary for public diplomacy and public affairs.

ABC News reported in November that Nauert had been offered the job, but it was not clear at the time whether she had accepted.

(Reporting by Steve Holland, Makini Brice and David Alexander; Editing by Sandra Maler and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-07

4 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"She does not have prior political or policy-making experience."

But at least she worked for Fox News....Jeebus!

A continuation of having so manu inept, incompetent ... starting at the top.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Apparently Nikki Haley lacked blind loyalty to Trump (Haley "I don't get confused!") and his Pompeo and Bolton cult followers.

In essence it will be Bolton who will direct Heather in all matters relating to the UN.

In fact Bolton wants to deflate the UN Ambassador from a direct Cabinet position to more of a deputy-like position to Bolton.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, edwinchester said:

"She does not have prior political or policy-making experience."

But at least she worked for Fox News....Jeebus!

Nikki Haley, while having served as a governor had no previous "international" policy-making experience.  Generally UN Ambassadors are just speaking for the US government, they are not really making policy. That's the State Department and Presidents function in the big scheme of things. If she is good a presenting a policy and maybe twisting the arms of others for votes, Nauert will do fine.

• Like 1

" When people look at me, they think Heather Nauert, former Fox News anchor,” Nauert told reporters at the State Department. “What they don’t realize is I’m also Heather Nauert, who went on ‘It’s a Small World’ three times when she was nine.”"

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/heather-nauert-says-visit-to-its-a-small-world-ride-qualifies-her-for-un-job

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trouble said:

Nikki Haley, while having served as a governor had no previous "international" policy-making experience.  Generally UN Ambassadors are just speaking for the US government, they are not really making policy. That's the State Department and Presidents function in the big scheme of things. If she is good a presenting a policy and maybe twisting the arms of others for votes, Nauert will do fine.

Having a good network, and know how the system works, is a good qualification. 

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Apparently Nikki Haley lacked blind loyalty to Trump (Haley "I don't get confused!") and his Pompeo and Bolton cult followers.

In essence it will be Bolton who will direct Heather in all matters relating to the UN.

In fact Bolton wants to deflate the UN Ambassador from a direct Cabinet position to more of a deputy-like position to Bolton.

Nikki left of her own choosing, I got the impression El Naranjo was put off by it.

In her case at least she had multi-cultural experience, growing up in a Sikh-immigrant household in Dixie, and has a sense that other cultures have different perspectives that are not immediately dismissed as wrong.  Whenever I hear her speak I can't help smiling seeing an ethnic Indian woman with that strong Southern accent.  My guess as to why she chose to throw in with the GOP when she went into politics is that Dems don't have much chance down there.

Question is will she recover from the stain of all this when it is over.

Seems more like a calculated insult to the UN (and other appointed ambassadors) vs a savvy political appointment..... so it’s just another example of trump giving the rest of the world another look at his middle finger.

Edited by farcanell
  • Like 1