90 day retirement non-O question

I have a few questions regarding the retirement non-O visa. 

First of all, I hope I'm using the right terminology.  What I'm asking about is the following: 2 weeks ago I went to immigration and presented all the paperwork necessary to get a 90 day retirement non-O visa.  As I understand it's the first step to getting the 1-year retirement visa.  I have been issued a date to return to immigration, and on that day I will be issued my 90-day retirement non-O visa.  And that's what I'm asking about. 

1- My appointment to go to immigration is 5 days before my tourist visa expires.  Does the 90-day non-O become effective the day I visit the immigration office, or does it become effective the day my current tourist visa expires?

2- During the 90 days of the non-O visa, am I allowed to leave the country?  And if I am allowed to leave, do the 90 days begin again when I return?  Or do they continue in my absence?  I'm trying to figure out whether I might have trouble completing the next step, "converting" the original 90 day non-O to the full 1 year retirement visa, if I'm not back in the country by the end of the 90-day period.  

3- At the end of the 90 days, the 90 day non-O converts into the 1-year visa.  How is that done?  Do I need to be in Thailand to make that happen?  (The answers to question 2 probably answer this question.)

Sorry if I sound overly detailed; I just want to be clear.  Thanks for the help in advance.  

1. The 90 day entry from the visa will start from the date you applied for it. The will stamp the visa and a new entry stamp at the same time.

2. I you want to leave the country during the 90 days you need a re-entry permit to keep the remainder of the 90 days valid when you enter the country using it.

3. During the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon retirement at immigration. You will need to to show the same financial proof you used to apply for the visa to do the application.

42 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

2- During the 90 days of the non-O visa, am I allowed to leave the country?  And if I am allowed to leave, do the 90 days begin again when I return?  Or do they continue in my absence?  I'm trying to figure out whether I might have trouble completing the next step, "converting" the original 90 day non-O to the full 1 year retirement visa, if I'm not back in the country by the end of the 90-day period.  

The 90 days continues in your absence.

49 minutes ago, mtraveler said:

3- At the end of the 90 days, the 90 day non-O converts into the 1-year visa.  How is that done?  Do I need to be in Thailand to make that happen?  (The answers to question 2 probably answer this question.)

You don't need to wait until the end of the 90 days to apply for the 1 year extension (permit). They should let you apply within the last 30 (maybe 45) days -- as long as the money has been in your account for at least 60 days if using the 800K bank method. So depending on your dates you could extend before you go abroad. You would also need a re-entry permit to keep the 1 year extension.