Driver confesses to deadly Chalong U-turn that killed two tourists

snoop1130

Driver confesses to deadly Chalong U-turn that killed two tourists

By Tavee Adam

1544524415_1-org.jpg

The driver of the car, Sudapon Nontawat, will be charged for reckless driving causing death, police confirmed today (Dec 11). Photo: Ruamjai Kupai Foundation

PHUKET:-- The woman who made a sudden U-turn on Chao Fa West Rd in Chalong late at night on Nov 28, resulting the deaths of two tourists on a motorbike, has confessed to driving carelessly, police have confirmed.

The driver of the car, Sudapon Nontawat, made the U-turn near the entrance to Land & Houses Park Phuket on Chao Fa West Rd at 11:30pm.

The tourist riding the motorbike, 26-year-old Amine Halimi from Algeria, was unable to avoid the collision. Mr Halimi and his passenger Zehre Yalcinkaya both died in the impact.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/driver-confesses-to-deadly-chalong-u-turn-that-killed-two-tourists-69642.php#ZHzShQP2GeTbW2wM.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-12-11

Bike was speeding probobly always speeding it was dark the woman driving the way all thai do she has been taught. 500 bht thanks for telling the truth and so goes it.

I feel sorry for the passenger on the bike and thats it.

The big bile driver got what he deserved. Speed kills.

Drive a big bike in the worlds most dangerouse country youre going to die

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

39 minutes ago, Oziex1 said:

Even as an experienced motorcyclist dealing with the chaotic traffic in Phuket is challenging to say the least. I just can't get used to vehicles coming out of side streets without giving way,  sometimes they have no choice as the sois are so narrow visibility is limited until they are onto the main drag.  Vehicles coming from the other side of main roads in a slight diagonal as they look to make a right turn. It goes on, the amount of information to process on the main roads is more than this old timer cares to deal with, and as for riding at high speed forget that. 

It took me 2 near misses to learn defensive driving, when on motorbike i'm as slow as a snail.

Still, when i warn some young tourists about the dangers, more often than not, i get some condescending looks.

There is a method to the madness and if you drive here long enough you can anticipate the stupidity: 
Drivers pull out from the left without looking

Drivers pull out from the left without yeilding

Drivers accelerating, placing the nose of their car in front of your bumper and forcing their way in front of you, i.e. aggressively failing to yield the right of way (I actually don't think there are any laws on the books regarding 'right-of-way')

Drivers passing on blind corners and hills

Drivers passing on the shoulders
Drivers driving on sidewalks

Drivers driving the wrong way on the roads

Drivers not capable of understanding how to merge

Drivers pulling out on a highway and taking a full minute to accelerate to above 60 kph

Drivers pulling out on a highway and driving with two wheels on the shoulder and two wheels on the road and driving that way for 1 or 2 kilometer before pulling onto the road
Drivers driving down the middle traffic line on highways
Drivers stopping on the on-ramp of highway then cutting across the highway at 90 degree and then slowly accelerating in the right hand lane instead of using in the acceleration lane and merging into traffic
Drivers pulling out of the U-Turns-of Death without looking or yielding, especially on highways
Drivers, especially trucks, doubling or tripling up at U-Turns and leaving their vehicles in the right-hand "fast" lane blocking the highways
And on, and on, an on..... But you can anticipate it.  And if you can anticipate it, then you drive defensively to avoid it. 
Does that work 100% of the time?  Hell no.  This place is still the world's worst place to drive.  Aggressive and ignorant drivers and virtually no traffic enforcement, and fines and penalties that do nothing to deter future infractions. 
It's truly anarchy on the roads here, but there is a pattern.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

She was tested for alcohol when the accident happened and, according to the report, the police are still waiting for the result. Where I come from the police say 'blow into this' and have an instant result. Just one of the countless things I don't understand in this country.

Actually it's easy to understand:
One set of laws and procedures for the wealthy and connected.
Another set of laws and procedures for everyone else.

Edited by connda

32 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

She was tested for alcohol when the accident happened and, according to the report, the police are still waiting for the result. Where I come from the police say 'blow into this' and have an instant result. Just one of the countless things I don't understand in this country.

Then you do not come from a country where due process is practiced.

The "instant result" obtained at a roadside test is not accepted by a court of law. These tests are classified as Preliminary Alcohol Screen. A result that exceeds set parameters, will result in the driver taking a more reliable 

blood alcohol content test at the police station.  It is this reading that is accepted in the developed world judicial system. The test must be conducted on a calibrated  device, and by a certified  technician.

In Thailand, accused drunk drivers are often sent for blood tests and the tests take time to  provide results. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

Some people who saw the aftermath of the accident, and have seen video of same, state that the tourists on the bike were catapulted a long way past the point of impact and injuries were extensive.  They had no chance of survival. It appears high speed could have been a major factor in their demise. Not defending a Thai driver u-turning in traffic, but a bike driven at high speed can appear very suddenly. 

Much has been written on this forum in the past about problems with some North African men who hire big bikes and terrorize motorists by speeding/racing in towns such as Patong and Kamala.

It may just be that the bike rider should bear some responsibility for what happened.  

No argument from me, I'm just saying a confession is not standard practice.