American Drug Dealer Arrested At Swan Guest House

libya 115

Meisenburg appeared at the door with the drug in his hand, the police gave him the money and when he tried to close the door, the police brushed passed him and went into his room.

In his room, the police searched for and found 2 packs of yah ice, with another 4 secreted under Meisenburg’s bed. There was also drug paraphernalia used for taking the drug. They also found that Meisenburg had a long overstay, his visa having expired on January 8th 2006.

Hopefully the wise and mercifull judge will find him innocent or show his capacity for mercy.

with respect , the words 'wise', 'merciful' and 'judge' are rarely , if ever , seen in the same paragraph here in thailand and i wouldnt be putting any champagne on ice , but making concrete plans for some long term and long distance support for your friend , especially regarding his medical condition.

My deepest sympathy to this mans parents

In my opinion, waxing philosophically about "WHY" someone from one of our homelands ends up in one of these prisons misses the mark by a mile. what is important is to let them know people care. To that end, anyone who could do ANYTHING for Brian there would be greatly appreciated. A mat to sleep on, Cigarretes (for currency), small amounts of money in his prison account, a visit,bring him food, anything, would be a great humanitarian effort on your part.

No it doesn't.

Finding out 'WHY' is important as it may prevent other, ill informed, people making the same mistake.

Have the Police found out who this Alex fella is yet?

That could help your friend if they think he isnt lieing to them.

Just a thought..

yes alex is bulgarian he owns the guest house and was letting brian stay there for free. Brian Has Multiple Sclerosis and has an 80 percent chance of a relapse. He has no money and no support thats why he was overstayed on his passport. I met Brian in the USA but havent seen him in Thailand. Im assuming that he is still a nice guy and was certinly not a dealer... My feelings are free accomodation in return for free favours...what do you think?

I think this case deserves a little more investigation. First of all, this guy appears to be selling a drug that was likely produced overseas. Since he is on a 1 year overstay, I doubt that he brought it into Thailand. So somewhere out there is the source and probably other distribution points.

I reckon that it would be much easier to set up a little factory here than risk shipping it.

I hear that it's quite easy to produce, even Americans can make the stuff :o

Would you need a work permit ? :D

I think this case deserves a little more investigation. First of all, this guy appears to be selling a drug that was likely produced overseas. Since he is on a 1 year overstay, I doubt that he brought it into Thailand. So somewhere out there is the source and probably other distribution points.

I reckon that it would be much easier to set up a little factory here than risk shipping it.

I hear that it's quite easy to produce, even Americans can make the stuff :o

Would you need a work permit ? :D

yes its essential to see if the crack you get is the real deal...if its not coming with a work permit who knows who will be will be

• 1 year later...
I think this man must be brain damaged

I previously said this before knowing about the perps serious medical condition. Apologies for my insensitivity. Although if he did this crime, there is no excuse, this is a reminder that even people who turn out to be bad apples have friends and families who become victims also.

I previously said this before knowing about the perps serious medical condition. Apologies for my insensitivity.

I certainly understand the negative reactions people had to the initial story. It seems outrageous that people in their 40s find themselves in such a predicament, in a place far from home known for their harsh prisons, tough drug laws and long prison sentences. However, behind every one of these stories is a real person with real family and friends.

Although if he did this crime, there is no excuse

No excuse offered. None would be appropriate. Excuses only make the story more outrageous. Whether he is guilty or not is now irrelevant to me because he has been convicted. He obviously was guilty of the visa charge. The drug charge? I still would rather not comment but people are free to assume whatever they think. As for me I just don't really care and wish he never got himself into this mess, irrespective of the facts surrounding the events.

this is a reminder that even people who turn out to be bad apples have friends and families who become victims also.

I certainly feel victimized by what has occured. Brian's mother and father have also paid a big price. Yes, people who wish to engage in this type of behavior should think of the potential harm they may cause other people. The problem is they seldom do. So, Is Brian Guilty? My answer is I don't care, I am just angry he found himself in this situation at all. I would think that living in Thailand would also require at minimum that you keep your visa intact and don't live in a known drug location, and try to avoid those that use and/or tolerate these activites. He is still a childhood friend, someone who needs my help. I have spent hundreds of hours trying to make sure he survives. That is what is important to me.

Meanwhile, Brian is a real person, a fellow american who could use some companionship and some compassion. The court case is long over. There is no real danger of association by anyone who wanted to go visit him. It would only cost you ex-pats in Pattaya a 1/2 hour cab ride at most and hopefully a few baht dropped into his prison account. If anyone is up to it I and Brian's mother and father would greatly appreciate any and all support you could lend Brian.

Thanks for listening.

Edited by gregfl

Not much milk of human kindness flowing around here, is there?

Notwithstanding the obvious silliness of getting involved in dodgy stuff in a dangerous country like this one, this is a young guy with a serious medical condition, who if he had done the same in a western country would be back on the streets again now, wiser and hopefully deterred from such actions in the future.

I have been reading the Foreign Prisoners Support Service site, and the severity of the sentences handed down is mind boggling, considering the harshness of the regimes the inmates are enduring.

That is surely to be taken into consideration when pontificating on how "they deserve what they get": no they dont, we come from a civilised western culture, where punishment should be tailored to the effect of the crime on our society, not a barbaric vengeance driven, self rightous stoning.

The horror of a western person finding themselves in such a predicament simply cannot be imagined, the privations, illnesses, lack of communication, all add to the severity of the sentence. (Pretty dam_n rough for the locals too.)

So how about a little compassion, even a little support for a person enduring what very few of us could endure? Never mind his crime, not exactly worth nine years of hel_l was it ,to be frank, dodgy little prats on Friday nights in England do worse, for next to no comeback if busted, I for one will send the dude a few baht and a letter of support, ongoing, and thank the god I have never believed in that I am free and happy.

Like all addicts he probably started as a casual user, became addicted and had to sell to maintain his addiction.

ICE is the most addictive of drugs and from what I understand most comes from Cambodia and Burma.

I agree, he was stupid to do this and I do not condone drug use. But I also feel sorry for the man who obviously got himself on a treadmill he couldn't get off.

I also wonder where all this drug use came from. I suspect it began as a supply for visiting tourists, going back to the GI's on leave.

It's also a fact that the increase in crime in Pattaya has a direct link to drugs, especially to ICE. There's an epedemic which is spreading through the entire community. Scary stuff indead.

I have a few questions.

1) In what way would putting money in his prison account help him? In other words, what would he use the money to buy?

Edit: What he would use the money for is explained on the site http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/case-brian-meisenberg.html near the bottom. Could we get an idea what giving a certain amount, say 500 baht, would mean to him, i.e. what he could purchase with that?

2) How much in need of visits is he, or is the money the key thing here?

3) Is it possible to bring him other things, like reading material or food?

4) Exactly where is the prison? A google map or something similar would be best I would think.

Edit: The same site has the prison info. It's in Bangkok not Chonburi, so visiting is out for me.

Edited by Jimmyd

I have a few questions.

1) In what way would putting money in his prison account help him? In other words, what would he use the money to buy?

Edit: What he would use the money for is explained on the site http://www.usp.com.au/fpss/case-brian-meisenberg.html near the bottom. Could we get an idea what giving a certain amount, say 500 baht, would mean to him, i.e. what he could purchase with that?

The foreign prisoners in Thailand are given a basic meal which consists of things like fish soup. I will leave it to your imagination what that must look like. Food vendors sell food thru the fence to prisoners with money.

The prison does not supply things like vitamins, medicines, salves, pillows, matts, toothpaste, etc. These things must be purchased in the prison.

500 baht would help Brian survive. He may be able to purchase postage with the money to write his ailing mother. He may be able to purchase anti-itch medicine, or have his MS medicine delivered from outside the prison. Most importantly, he will be able to purchase nutritious food from the vendors around the prison.

Also, a cartoon of cigarrettes would be invaluable. I don't know if Brian is smoking now, but it really is irrelevant as ciggarrettes are the prison currency.

2) How much in need of visits is he, or is the money the key thing here?

It really is hard to gauge that. I would say if you had to pick between depositing 500 baht or visiting him, I would say go give him a visit and tell him all about the crazy happenings back home in politics and popular culture. that would make his week and give him some basic humanity. You could also ask him if he had any immediate needs, and if he did notify me at <snip> (contact member by PM)

3) Is it possible to bring him other things, like reading material or food?

Allreading material goes into the prison 'library' where all the westerners can access it so bringing reading material helps not only Brian but all english reading prisoners. So yes, by all means bring magazines and books. Brian loves things like people magazine, the national inquirer, and any newspaper from the states you can get your hands on. As far as food goes, instead you could give him the baht (via the prison) to purchase food, if possible. please note that Brian is receiving some basic support from back home, but his family is having a hard time sending the money on a regular basis. I send him money also when I can, but there have been times when his prison account has gone to zero due to the embassy sitting on a check or some other situation, and this is dangerous for him and his MS situation.

4) Exactly where is the prison? A google map or something similar would be best I would think.

Edit: The same site has the prison info. It's in Bangkok not Chonburi, so visiting is out for me.

Actually there is an error on that page. Brian is in the Pattaya remand prison, which is about 1/2 hour from Pattaya in Chonburi. From Pattaya you take sukhumvit north to National Hwy # 36, go east a few miles and the prison is off a side street. Here is the google link and address info.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...i=lmc:panoramio

Pattaya Remand Prison

57 Nong Pla Lai, Amphoe Banglamung Chonburi

Phone number: 0 3824 0803

Fax number: 0 3824 0802

Link to info about the prison...

http://www.phaseloop.com/foreignprisoners/...nong_palai.html

Thanks for your interest.

Edited by soundman
No Email addresses as per Forum Rules.

Greetings. This is my first post to this forum.. First, I would like to say that Brian Meisenberg, the subject of this thread, has been a childhood friend of mine since I was 14 years old. Brian was an Usher in my wedding and I have stayed in touch with him for 30 years, and I am deeply distressed for his situation, for is mother and father, and for the future of Brian.

Debating the stupidity of his actions is moot. I will not say anything about Brian that may compromise the situation he is in. However, it is important to note that Brian is suffering from MS and is in need of help. His parents are unable to help him.

I would like to solicit anyone who is in pattaya's assistance if I could. Could anyone find out how he could be contacted? What facility he is in? Any information on a trial, sentence? Any information on medical care to inmates waiting trial? Anything at this point would be a comfort to his family and to me personally.

I am planning a trip to see Brian in September. I have been to Pattaya twice in the past. Already the con's are coming out and soliciting money to help 'get him out' and information is scarce. I greatly appreciate any and all help you can give me. Any information, no matter how small, will be helpfull. Thank you in advance.

ignore the childishness already posted here-

he is long way from the final conclusion of having to spend any heavy jail time yet- but you should act fast- most are just jealous little people leading boring lives and just love to read others miserys

send me private mail and I will give you a few ideas

good luck

ingrid

Like all addicts he probably started as a casual user, became addicted and had to sell to maintain his addiction.

ICE is the most addictive of drugs and from what I understand most comes from Cambodia and Burma.

I agree, he was stupid to do this and I do not condone drug use. But I also feel sorry for the man who obviously got himself on a treadmill he couldn't get off.

I also wonder where all this drug use came from. I suspect it began as a supply for visiting tourists, going back to the GI's on leave.

It's also a fact that the increase in crime in Pattaya has a direct link to drugs, especially to ICE. There's an epedemic which is spreading through the entire community. Scary stuff indead.

ICE is the most addicitve is it....? here we go again.. utterly incorrect...read that on anti drug sites did you ? do you know onzestan?

and I supoose you think heroin is bad for you too

and that smoking dope will make you turn to something harder

one can take ice , known as shabu( in japan) for years, and years, like most other drugs

in japan people do this work, play without any real negitive effects

sure, some become addicts, it those who do too much and inject it

but to say its highly addictive is completley wrong and everyone needs to get things a little correct before we make such wrong assumptions if we are to adress the real problems

I don't know wether it is Libby or the original reporter that puts the insert saying that ICE is Crack.

It's not, ICE is pure Methamphetamine and Crack is pure Cocaine.

It's not the first time this misinfomation has occurred in Pattaya news reports.

Ice is not pure meth and crack is not pure cocaine. Meth is chemically separated ephedrine and crack is cocaine with baking soda in it.

Meth is not a substance that can be defines as pure because that would mean that we were taking “meth” and cutting it down to its various forms. We do just the opposite. Methamphetamine is made by breaking down ephedrine. Ephedrine is stimulant most commonly found in over the counter diet aids. The names given to it reflect the clearness of the crystals that are the product of 2 factors. First is the choice of chemicals used to break down the ephedrine such as anhydrous, P2P, or red phosphorous. Secondly, the number of processes used to refine the end product. Crank or bugger = 8 steps. Crystal meth = 16 steps. Ice = 32 steps. Glass = 64 steps. Each one clearer and more suitable for smoking or chasing the dragon as it is referred to.

Crack is not pure cocaine. It is nothing more than cocaine boiled in water with baking soda so that it sticks together and can be smoked when your nose gets raw. It is only more popular on a street level because a dealer who is cooking it is quadrupling his money because of the weight of the baking soda. No one more addictive than the other but only demonized through propaganda and made more dangerous only by the monetary value of it. None of the above mentioned killing more people or producing more violence in an individual than alcohol. People who “suffer” from substance abuse have mental illness issues before they ever start using drugs. Retarded people would become addictive to and kill each other over coffee were it illegal and peddled by the gram.