Recommended Honda Wave upgrades

davidupatterson

Hey all, 

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a Honda Wave (125cc). It will be stock, with no modifications. 

For those of you who own a Wave, what would you recommend I upgrade to get started?

I've read a bit about:

• Replacing the rear shocks with YSS shocks for a smoother ride. 
  • Adding a luggage rear rack to the back.

Other thoughts I have are:

• Upgrading the headlight to be brighter at night. Thoughts?
  • Better tires - On the forum, people recommend Michelin tires with all-purpose tread. The M35 2.25 on the front and M62 2.5 on the rear come recommended. 

Anyone else have any thoughts on the above or additional suggestions on how to make the Wave a better ride?

Thanks!

Dave

Well, not an upgrade but more like a modification; if you have aThai wife/gf who'll be driving the bike, you should adjust the rear brake. Most/very many Thai drivers use the rear brake pedal as a foot rest, resulting in premature brake shoe replacement. And while you're at it, adjust the rear brake light signal accordingly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Well, not an upgrade but more like a modification; if you have aThai wife/gf who'll be driving the bike, you should adjust the rear brake. Most/very many Thai drivers use the rear brake pedal as a foot rest, resulting in premature brake shoe replacement. And while you're at it, adjust the rear brake light signal accordingly.

I heard that some Thais prefer dual drum brakes on some bikes because once the rear wears out, they just swap over the front wheel, nobody knows how to use brakes properly hence the rear wearing out before the front

• Confused 1

Smaller final drive sprocket for better cruising speed. Best done when you get a new chain which should be the best time to change both final drive sprockets.

34 teeth is the smallest recommended for a 100 wave. Not sure about the 125.

Had a custom made two tone seat for mine when I got it recovered. Well worth the 250 baht I paid.

Got the biggest tyres I could get for a softer ride. Cheaper than replacing the shocks and look better IMO. Thais go for super skinny rims and tyres for the speed and acceleration but not so good 8n the wet . If you really want speed get a bigger bike.

buy one with alloy wheels [tubeless], not laced spokes.

Michelin Street Pro for tires be good, not expensive.

Preferred/tested by BKK mocy taximen.

pap's young Thai friend put fat wheels from a CBR400 on his 125.

Disks. Pretty cool.

Edited by papa al

1 hour ago, papa al said:

buy one with alloy wheels [tubeless], not laced spokes.

Michelin Street Pro for tires be good, not expensive.

Preferred/tested by BKK mocy taximen.

pap's young Thai friend put fat wheels from a CBR400 on his 125.

Disks. Pretty cool.

I have a small leak in my tubeless scooter tire...went to Honda and they can't fix that..told me to go to cartire repair shops which i did...went to 3 of them and all refused to fix or even look at it.

So i went to homepro, bought a spray can which inflated the tire and fixed the leak.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

I have a small leak in my tubeless scooter tire...went to Honda and they can't fix that..told me to go to cartire repair shops which i did...went to 3 of them and all refused to fix or even look at it.

So i went to homepro, bought a spray can which inflated the tire and fixed the leak.

Ah, you again.

Don't you think this may have something to do with you, your attitude, your character traits, and/or lack of language skills?

"Oi you, Honda Grease Monkey - fix my tyre! Now!"

"Back in my home country everybody can fix a tubeless tyre!"

"This country is crap!"

It is true, that a large portion of small motorcycle dealers & shops are not set up to remove, fix or replace tubeless tyres, but there are some, inc corner mom'n'pop m/c shops which can & do.
You just have to ask around.

Nicely.

And not give up on the first one you come to.

As for car tyre repair shops, there are 3 in my local market town, and all 3 take on scooter/moped tubeless tyre work. One of whom even takes on big bike wheels when not busy. Although i would not use him for replacing a 180 rear tyre on a nice rim.....

Strange that.

Innit.

Here's a little tip - next time you want tubeless m/c tyre work done - drive to your nearest big bike shop - every city has several, and they will all have the facilities and tools and experience to work on any tubeless tyre.

Do have a nice day.

Perhaps even the sun is shining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone, for the insightful replies. 

Takeaways:

• It may not be a good idea to replace the headlight bulb. I'll just make due with stock. 
  • I thought about alloy wheels, but had also read that they are a bit harder to have repaired. With the right tires, I think tubes should be okay. I'll look into the Michelin tires. 
  • I should consider upgrading the forks in addition to the rear shocks. 
  • Don't let a Thai person drive my bike ????

Maintenance Questions: 

1. I'm guessing the oil should be changed every 2000 km? 
  2. New tires are good for about 5000 km? 
  3. Where can I find chain lube in Chiang Mai?
  4. Any thoughts on where to buy the following upgrade parts for the 125 cc:
    • Rear rack
    • YSS shocks

Thanks! 

3 hours ago, thaiguzzi said:

# My wife's current Wave has around 75k on it from new.

It's not ran a battery for 3 years, the rats have eaten most of the electrics, the speedo needle recently went and jumped past the stop (but the tachometer/mileometer still works). Both front bulbs have blown and not fixed, the indicators sometimes work depending on the weather, horn is dead, the choke cable broke & frayed last year, so the bike runs permanently with the choke on. The brake & tail light still works. The rear shocks leaked all their oil out last year. The front forks have not had any oil in them for years. The cam chain is not rattly. A lot of the plastics have cracked. The front pipe rotted out at 50k kms. Obviously a common thing as every shop sells new downpipes in black or shiney chrome, from 120-160 Baht, to be welded back on.

I've done the tappets once and the air filter twice, 2 spark plugs. In 75k kms......

Never ever looked at the clutch. In 75k kms.

Couple of pairs of front brake pads and one pair of rear brake shoes.

Stuff just does not wear out....

It still starts and runs fine, compression is a bit low, but that could be the valve clearances want looking at again. Top speed had dropped to 70-75 kph, but i nip into town on it at 60 kph cruising speed.

It still gets 2k kms oil changes and is due another chain & sprockets

But apart from that it's ok ?????Charlie Boorman did a show on the top ten bikes ever made and tried to destroy a wave including in the end dropping it out of a window 30ft up as I remember.Anyway that was the only thing that eventually stopped it cause it broke the wheels .Even then the motor ran.

• Like 1

Depending where you are in the country, wider alloys and tyres are a good upgrade too, they seem to be fashionable in the East Chonburi, Pattaya older Wave models with rear disc brakes seem to be the preferred models around here, never see it in other part of the country, non standard size tyres could be trouble some to source replacements.

As for tyre repair shops refusing to touch the motorcycle tubeless, could be that their mounting machine is too big for the tiny rims, meaning that they'd have to do it manually hence the reluctance.

There's one kind of repair where you plug the hole from the outside with sausage looking rubber thing with glue and the other that patches the rubber from the inside necessitating the removal of the tyre from the rim. I always carry the sausage patch thing and a co2 inflator from bicycles

13 minutes ago, digbeth said:

older Wave models with rear disc brakes seem to be the preferred models around here, never see it in other part of the country,

Me neither.

Never seen a stock Honda Wave, Dream or Cub with a rear disc brake.

In any part of the country.

Nor the world market.

Ever.

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

The rear disc brakes on Waves were only for 125 models, last seen around 2012 and it disappeared for a long while

Well bugger me!

I stand corrected.

I have seen approx 4,743,982 Honda Waves, maybe more, and i have never seen a disc on the back wheel.

My missus's Wave is around 13-14 y/o and is a carb'd 125 with drum rear stock from the factory.

9 hours ago, digbeth said:

these guys goes big

And on the front brake too. Jeez double huge fully floaters (leave your toilet humour in the bathroom - i know what you're thinking...).

Bit overbraked. Just a bit.

Make sure you take it to the Honda dealer for the scheduled maintenance in the first three years to keep the warranty active.  They will probably ignore all the scheduled maintenance they are supposed to do other than the oil change  but it will keep plugging along.

The alloy wheels are worth it just so you don't have to put air in the tires once a week.  I don't understand why they can't make an inner tube that doesn't leak!

I bought the most basic model 12 years ago and don't regret it a bit.  Indestructible and every mechanic in Thailand knows how to fix just well enough but not perfectly.  Except for the carb which requires a mechanic over 30 to adjust it if it needs it.    

49 minutes ago, damascase said:

About quality: one of my friends has 120.000 km on his Wave, and the engine has never been opened. Only regular maintenance, nothing else. 

My kids blew a valve after 35k, cost 2k for a rebuild.

Honda claim all their scooter engines need a complete rebuild after around 50k, cost 6k

I had one Honda made it to 50k, and another made it to 75k before they needed rebuilds.

120k was a fluke.

The only upgrade I do is Michelin tires, I do prefer tires that don't dry out and crack in the heat.

Edited by BritManToo

13 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Honda claim all their scooter engines need a complete rebuild after around 50k, cost 6k

I had one Honda made it to 50k, and another made it to 75k before they needed rebuilds.

Rubbish.

50k kms = 30 odd k miles?

Rubbish.

And i've seen the odometers to prove it.

See my earlier post.

50k kms is nothing for these engines, double is not unusual without having a peek inside.