High Electricity Bill?

Johnson81

Hi,

I've recently moved to a new house and have noticed the electricity bill is twice as much as my previous house.

My latest bill was for 2,300 baht (we only use the ac at night for 8 hours, plus we get the government 4 baht unit rate,)'.....so basically almost 600 units of electric for just one ac unit running at night....does this sound right?

If compared with my previous house, our bills were half that at 1,200 baht per month.

Plus, I have tried cleaning the unit, and only run it at 24 degrees. 

Any suggestions, is it worth checking with the electric company?

Thanks,

Johnson81

Well I would not say that 550 units is almost 600, (that is the number of units to produce a bill of 2,307.7 Baht)

however there are many factors that can push the consumption up, older appliances, older AC, non inverter, different wall and roof construction, old, non LED, lights etc.

Also you could have a vampire feed off your supply.

step 1) turn everything off at you main switch and check if the meter is turning. If it is you have a vampire between the meter and your main switch. If not then you have to start turning off things and checking the meter.

you may need to get something like this Multimeter

the electricity meter could be faulty, this is unlikely.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

50 minutes ago, Johnson81 said:

and only run it at 24 degrees. 

Perhaps a little less activity at night would allow a higher temperature setting.  ????

We normally cool at 28 (or 27 lowest).

But AC is not the only electric user - refrigerator could be eating up a fair amount.  Are lights LED?  Do you cook anything with electric?   Do your own ironing?  Water pump running all the time?   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Perhaps a little less activity at night would allow a higher temperature setting.  ????

We normally cool at 28 (or 27 lowest).

But AC is not the only electric user - refrigerator could be eating up a fair amount.  Are lights LED?  Do you cook anything with electric?   Do your own ironing?  Water pump running all the time?   

We made policy of 28 in our house, and fan 2 steps under the max. It's cool enough.

• Like 1

My bill came yesterday, iy was 2800 baht, about normal  I do not have air conditioning but have 3 old refrigerators and an old power sucking 42" plasma TV (385W) that is on about 16 hours/day.     Other than that it.s fans, lighting, UPS and two water pumps.

My bill came yesterday, iy was 2800 baht, about normal  I do not have air conditioning but have 3 old refrigerators and an old power sucking 42" plasma TV (385W) that is on about 16 hours/day.     Other than that it.s fans, lighting, UPS and two water pumps.
Still sounds kind of expensive. I'm 4k but run a btu 24000 for 17 hours a day. Plus older fridge and a gaming pc

Are you paying government rates?

57 minutes ago, taninthai said:

My bill last month 540 bht run aircon 6-8 hours a night inverter model 9000 bhu,hot shower morning and night,house empty all day.op bill definitely namely sound high.

Seems very low to me... also don't you have a TV,Microwave,Refrigerator,Fans,Lights,Internet Router etc etc ?

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, sometimewoodworker said:

Well I would not say that 550 units is almost 600, (that is the number of units to produce a bill of 2,307.7 Baht)

however there are many factors that can push the consumption up, older appliances, older AC, non inverter, different wall and roof construction, old, non LED, lights etc.

Also you could have a vampire feed off your supply.

step 1) turn everything off at you main switch and check if the meter is turning. If it is you have a vampire between the meter and your main switch. If not then you have to start turning off things and checking the meter.

you may need to get something like this Multimeter

the electricity meter could be faulty, this is unlikely.

My meter is on a post, next to 3 other meters....so I will try turning everything off and see If the meter is still turning.

When you say Vampire, you mean someone stealing my electric?

That is expensive my bill is around 3,000 per month but I run a swimming pool for 10 hours and have a double door American refrigerator it is like my air con units all inverters which I turn heat my water up . Can I suggest that you either have your air con serviced or replace it with a new inverter mine are Daikin and and very cost affective. I would also throw the switch off in your electric box to make sure nobody has hooked up to your electric just take a reading before you do it leave it off for 30 minutes if it’s the same reading then okay if not then you need to find out who is using it .

3 minutes ago, Tapster said:

Got my bill today: 6,300

One aircon, at 24C, 18 hours a day and a pool pump 10 hours a day. 

Definitely no vampire sharing. 

We 'own' and the house so no loading of the bill. 

Does that sound possible? 

At 24C that ac is likely running at full amperage most of the time so if a large/older unit it could account for a lot of electric usage.  Pool pump could also be at lot.  Expect you also have refrigerator(s) and other electric usage as well.

5 hours ago, johng said:

Seems very low to me... also don't you have a TV,Microwave,Refrigerator,Fans,Lights,Internet Router etc etc ?

Actually made mistake was  506 bht,,,Oh yeah got a fridge and router running too,but never eat there only go there to sleep,,,,been leaving a fan running all day  for last month ,next bill comes in on 21st will update usually run aircon at 23-24 degree

492DCA0F-0384-4E49-A24E-31FD94FE73F6.jpeg

Edited by taninthai
  • Like 1

New house, as in New or another used house? May be some one made a connection on your line and is having it for free. Switch off all devices and see if your meter is still running. Met it once at my former relation in the Phil, however they made it easy by using other colored wiring.