Price of firearms in Thailand

Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

13 hours ago, NilSS said:

I'd figured around 70 ~ 80 K, so I guess with application fees, gun marking fees, this that and the other, I'm looking at 100K. Do you hold a firearm? What about range fees/membership, ammunition etc etc?

What is the process of concealed carry certification?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Sounds like an attempt to convince oneself that it's all very professional and sophisticated.

I can tell you that in most states in the US that impose it, thats all it is. 

21 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I like the Sig P226 but as others have recommended, I would involve the local PD and see what they're using and what is popular.

If you know little or nothing about weapons you should buy a revolver, not an automatic. 

Maybe the best thing is to start training? I would go to Israel or russia for proper training! They have the best survival training. A gun alone is in best case just a suicide tool.

Edited by Hummin

39 minutes ago, mogandave said:

I like the Sig P226 but as others have recommended, I would involve the local PD and see what they're using and what is popular.

If you know little or nothing about weapons you should buy a revolver, not an automatic. 

Thats why I suggest the glock. Consistent trigger pull, simple manual of arms, safety after firing the first shot. Training a rookie on a Glock is easy, you start them live fire with two rounds in a magazine to demonstrate the operation cycle including slide lock. A glock is as safe as a revolver.

Im a SIG guy too and carried a 228 for years, the problem for rookies is the Double/Single transition.

I learned to shoot on a 1911 which I do not recommend nowadays.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NilSS said:

However, I'm sure open to better advice.

You really need to talk with some policeman, captain or above, to understand the situation while you ll be carrying and unfortunately maybe using a side arm.

9 mm pistol are war/law enforcement weapons !

(It's great to shoot with them on a firing range, i  personally really enjoyed it for years).

But for self defense you may considering a revolver and maybe something on the .410 caliber. It's less lethal than other munitions but might do the job. Professionals should be consulted, for your safety and your sanity. Caring a weapons is always a huge responsibility.

Nyezhov and Rv Hawee, I'd like to talk to you both via PM if you're willing. Topics like this always bring out the worst in people. I can also privately detail the circumstances here, to give you a better understanding as to why I've come to this decision. You also both have the experience I've been seeking.

Edited by NilSS
  • Haha 1

You really need to talk with some policeman, captain or above, to understand the situation while you ll be carrying and unfortunately maybe using a side arm.
(It's great to shoot with them on a firing range, i  personally really enjoyed it for years).
But for self defense you may considering a revolver and maybe something on the .410 caliber. It's less lethal than other munitions but might do the job. Professionals should be consulted, for your safety and your sanity. Caring a weapons is always a huge responsibility.

9mm is easy to handle, much easier than a .45 or even a .38.

Shouldn’t pull anything out you are not ready to shoot, and shouldn’t shoot at anything you are not ready to kill.

9 out of 10 unarmed guys stop when they realize you have a gun. 1 out of 10 does not, and if you pull your gun on that guy, you have to be ready to kill him.
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Rv Hawee said:

So? So are auto pistols in 45s, 40s, 32s....in fact most pistol calibers were designed as war weapons, even the lowly .22

45 minutes ago, Rv Hawee said:

But for self defense you may considering a revolver and maybe something on the .410 caliber. It's less lethal than other munitions but might do the job. 

.410 revolvers are huge. Huge. And if you think its less lethal, would you let me shoot you center of mass with one?

Nope. I wouldnt let someone do that to me.

21 minutes ago, mogandave said:

9mm is easy to handle, much easier than a .45 or even a .38.

Shouldn’t pull anything out you are not ready to shoot, and shouldn’t shoot at anything you are not ready to kill.

9 out of 10 unarmed guys stop when they realize you have a gun. 1 out of 10 does not, and if you pull your gun on that guy, you have to be ready to kill him.

Can't you just wing him, you know, in the leg or something? Seems a bit OTT to kill an unarmed man.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

So? So are auto pistols in 45s, 40s, 32s....in fact most pistol calibers were designed as war weapons, even the lowly .22

.410 revolvers are huge. Huge. And if you think its less lethal, would you let me shoot you center of mass with one?

Nope. I wouldnt let someone do that to me.

My favorite shotgun, bolt-action Webley & Scott .410. Great starting off shotgun for kids.

Even everyone's favorite movie cop only carried a .357

Edited by grollies
  • Like 1

Can't you just wing him, you know, in the leg or something? Seems a bit OTT to kill an unarmed man.

Yes, maybe shoot off a couple fingers while on a galloping horse like they do in the movies...

I didn’t say you had to kill him, I said you had to be ready to kill him.

If I thought I could kick his a**, I wouldn’t pull my gun out. If he doesn’t stop when you shoot him have to keep shooting until he does stop.

If it’s some big bug-eyed tweeter jonesing for a bump, shoot to kill...
  • Like 2

My favorite shotgun, bolt-action Webley & Scott .410. Great starting off shotgun for kids.

Even everyone's favorite movie cop only carried a .357

My favorite shotgun was my cousin Donna’s over-under .410 22-250

Favorite cop gun, Clint’s .44 mag...

31 minutes ago, NilSS said:

Nyezhov and Rv Hawee, I'd like to talk to you both via PM if you're willing. Topics like this always bring out the worst in people. I can also privately detail the circumstances here, to give you a better understanding as to why I've come to this decision. You also both have the experience I've been seeking.

Dude your decision to aquire a gun is your personal decision and not one to be taken lightly. I got my first carry permit in NY 40 years ago. Before getting that permit, I had been shooting almost weekly for about 15 years. I was a certified Glock Armorer and can tune a 1911 to pefection (if I have the tools). Over the years, I have owned, shot, disassembled and studied well over 3,000 different firearms. At one point, I owned over 400, including ones 99% of the folks here have never seen, or maybe even heard off. I have handloaded 25 plus different rifle and handgun cartridges. I have had LE training amd owned subguns and machine guns. In my prime, I was able to shoot measured sub MOA groups with or without optics with a rifle. In my prime, I was able to put 9 shots into the kill zone of a Sillhouette with a SIG 210 at 100 meters, off hand.  I will bet you that even now, at 7 meters, I could shoot say a....455 Webley Mark IV in a combat situation better than 90% of the folks here could do with a modern weapon. Until about 10 years ago, that was what I did....guns. Like some folks golf and fished, I played with guns. Can you time Ma Duece? Repair a Mauser C96? I have even had an FFL. My last carry guns were either a pocket 32 or a Browning HP.

I dont tell you the above to brag, its the internet after all. I tell you that to illustrate a point.

I dont play with or carry a gun anymore. Why? Because my vision is at the point where: target shooting isnt fun, I cant see well enough to take an unfamiliar apart and play... AND carrying a gun with bad eyes is a danger to other folks. Carrying a gun is an AWESOME responsibility. You have to know when and under what sceanario you can shoot AND be confident enough to know that that bullet is going to hit where you want. Its called retirement. Its called knowing that its time to quit because you shouldnt be doing it anymore. Is called not letting your ego tell you that reality doesnt exist. I can still shoot and in a dire emergency Im sure I would be fine, but...

I dont have the confidence in my abilities to carry one all the time. So I change my lifestyle. I avoid certain areas. Smoke more weed. ????

I look askance at folks who think that a gun is a solution to problems, yet arent willing to take the time (years) or spend the money (thousands and thousands of dollars) to make sure that they are able to safely and confidently use one. And when you have one, you are no longer just a regular joe, you are an armed citizen that should be alert and aware of everything around you.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, grollies said:

You shoot dead center of mass, and you shoot only when you are stopping the imminent use of deadly physical force against you (or are in your home in the USA).

I personally am an old Rhodesian Drill guy, two to the chest and one to the head. Now they train the  Double Tap, two to the chest.