Ford Safety Recall.

NE1

9 hours ago, sirineou said:

One question, I don't understand why the Ford Everest in Thailand and not the Ford Explorer

I have no idea, marketing I reckon...

8 hours ago, Henryford said:

Best selling car in the UK for several years now. My Fiesta has been perfect.

Manual tranny?

4 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Any better in Udon Thani? Asking as it is the same dealership in Udon Thani, Nong Khai and Bueng Kan. 

Two Rangers since 2011 with a collective ~150,000 km on them and the main Teeka Charoen dealership just south of town on the Mitrapharb haven't missed a beat yet.

The wife just rung our Ford dealer , she told them about the letter etc. Can we bring the vehicle in on Thursday .

In a nutshell she got told to leave her phone number and they will get back to her , as they have to order the parts .

On 12/22/2018 at 8:53 PM, DavisH said:

Who actually supplies parts to Ford? I guess they don't manufacture their own parts? I do recall once seeing parts in a fiesta/focus that were stamped "made in Indonesia". It seems to me it would be hard for Ford to check the quality of their parts during their production when they are made all over the place. Do Honda and Toyota outsource production of many of their components?

No car makers makes his own parts anymore. Those days are long gone. These days it's who can deliver the cheapest part within the specifications set out by the manufacturer. As for Honda, they still import many parts from Japan (especially the more fickly electronic parts), but tend to keep a large stock in their warehouses both in Ayutthaya and Bangkok. Most horns on Japanese cars are made by Mitsuba so are the wipers and those are made in Malaysia if I remember correctly. 

I have replaced/upgraded a fair few parts on my Ranger, all OEM parts ordered either through the dealership or bought on eBay and all came in sealed, Ford packaging with manufacturing variously in India, Italy, Belgium and Thailand.

Honda was one of the assembly plants hit hard by the 2011 floods but the floods also wiped out several manufacturers of OEM parts which had the knock-on effect of stalling car assembly in factories that were unaffected by flooding such as Ford's plant in Rayong.

On 12/23/2018 at 7:09 AM, Nyezhov said:

I have no idea, marketing I reckon...

Manual tranny?

I guess it's a personal preference, but i like the Explorer much more, The new front of the Everest is nice, but to me it looks like they run out of ideas after that, and the rest of the car  looks bland,  IMO not the Ford look, except for the front. 

As soon as we get back we will be buying an SUV , wife likes the Everest, I like the TrailBlazer more. and like the price of the trailBlazer (if they continue the discount by the time we come back) , but I also like my wife, so we will see.  

On 12/24/2018 at 9:46 AM, NE1 said:

The wife just rung our Ford dealer , she told them about the letter etc. Can we bring the vehicle in on Thursday .

In a nutshell she got told to leave her phone number and they will get back to her , as they have to order the parts .

Contacted our local Ford , asked them if they had received the parts needed. 

Told us maybe next month.

This is a bit like when I ordered a battery from them , best part of 3 months to get it.

2 hours ago, NE1 said:

This is a bit like when I ordered a battery from them , best part of 3 months to get it.

We ordered 3 base Trucks when they announced the Turbo years ago,  Yes i blew the turbo in days. Great Amusement to all.! We got a new one in days, no hesitation from Ford, quite excellent. Its hard read their attitude these days. Perhaps they dont have a fear of private buyers. They served 3 years well after that,  but Toyota is our preferred workhorse.

On 12/22/2018 at 9:19 PM, action said:

Why in the world people still buy Ford vehicles is beyond me....

My 2001 Ford Ranger 2.5 turbo, 4 door 4wd is still rattling along after 17 years and 383,xxx km.

Sure I have had a few minor problems over the years but none of them would stop me buying another tomorrow if I had the cash.

On 1/7/2019 at 3:50 AM, NE1 said:

Since I am up the Orinoco, Mrs NL did the needful and called Teeka Ford in Udon and she got an appointment for 4th April so at least it will get done before Songkran.

That and hope nobody falls out of a spontaneously unlatching door in the meantime, especially the driver!

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Since I am up the Orinoco, Mrs NL did the needful and called Teeka Ford in Udon and she got an appointment for 4th April so at least it will get done before Songkran.

That and hope nobody falls out of a spontaneously unlatching door in the meantime, especially the driver!

I e-mailed Ford Bangkok after reading your post , and asked them why would they would send a letter out admitting there was a door fault but not have the parts to fix it for a month or so . I asked them sort of tongue in cheek , " in the event of an accident involving the door , does my lawyer contact you or my local Ford dealer " . 

Bugger me , if we haven't just had a phone call asking us to bring the vehicle in Saturday to get the new parts fixed.....????

Looks like the joke was on me......Booked in for 11am got there , " it will be ready for 5pm " I asked " why will it take so long , there are 5 vehicles before you and yours will not get worked on till after 1pm. "

I thought the idea behind booking a time and day , was so you could save time by bringing the vehicle in when you booked to avoid this.

Buggered if i am sitting 6 hours in a waiting room. The door latches have been good for 5 or 6 years , i think they will last another 5 or 6.

On 1/9/2019 at 8:39 AM, NE1 said:

I e-mailed Ford Bangkok after reading your post , and asked them why would they would send a letter out admitting there was a door fault but not have the parts to fix it for a month or so . I asked them sort of tongue in cheek , " in the event of an accident involving the door , does my lawyer contact you or my local Ford dealer " . 

Bugger me , if we haven't just had a phone call asking us to bring the vehicle in Saturday to get the new parts fixed.....????

The recall notice has to go out in all markets for legal protections. Meanwhile, someone at Ford has already been tasked with getting OEM door lock makers to boost their production. Pretty sure that anything that was on the shelf in Thailand was quickly punted to Australia where the recall uptake and legal protections are taken much more seriously.

20 hours ago, NE1 said:

Looks like the joke was on me......Booked in for 11am got there , " it will be ready for 5pm " I asked " why will it take so long , there are 5 vehicles before you and yours will not get worked on till after 1pm. "

I thought the idea behind booking a time and day , was so you could save time by bringing the vehicle in when you booked to avoid this.

Buggered if i am sitting 6 hours in a waiting room. The door latches have been good for 5 or 6 years , i think they will last another 5 or 6.

Mrs NL was advised over the phone it was a 'whole day' job with no specific time being offered. Since I will be home well before then, I will drop by and see is I can get it bumped to 8 AM some time early next month. Since I am already in their 'system' as a much respected repeat Ford purchaser (got a phone call from Ford Thailand VP of Sales to say as much) and normally get fast-tracked when doing regular services and previous recall work, I think this will not be a problem. One thing I have noted after many years and 4 vehicles here that they do treat women motorist/drivers/owners differently and I don't mean that in a good way. I guess that's a universal.

But just in case there's a new Ford Thailand VP of Sales and all his predecessors sweeteners have been rescinded, I will just make sure I am front of the queue and even possibly drop the truck of the night before.

As for sitting in waiting rooms, if there's some tight-skirted cuties in sales, kill some time licking your eyebrows... over the new Raptor, maybe take one of the sales babes on a test drive? Max out your free 3-in-1 coffee and khanom allocation, surf their free Wi-Fi relentlessly. I usually strap on the bike rack and take the bike so I can check out the local attractions. Worked well at Ford Pattaya with Rioja only about an 8 minute pedal away.

• 5 weeks later...

Turned up at 08.30 this morning at Ford Chiang Mai to have the work done at appointment time.  Pick up at 5pm was the reply!  Why so long?  Big job, all 4 locks have to be changed.  I'd no intention of waiting all day, so back home I went.  At least I got a free coffee to recompense me for wasted drive & time.

If you read my previous post you will see I did the same . I sent another e-mail to Ford Bangkok asking them " if they understood the concept of booking a time "

A very nice lady called me back and asked for the scenario , I told her the booking time and I , like you were told 5pm.

She got in touch with the dealer and booked me in for 8:30am the following day and the vehicle was ready for 12:30pm.

Archived