Income Letter for Marriage Rejected at Chon Buri Immigration

Went in to change my tourist visa to Non O based on marriage following rules here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79  She rejected my income letter for the 40K a month saying that only applies to Pensions...  I tried explaining the pension is 65K but the Tom wasn't haven't any of it...my wife gets upset easily...anyway nasty Tom also told me to 'Gep Kaiya' on my way out as well (referring to 2000 baht income letter) quite rude

So don't know what to do next except maybe Suvannkhet or another Immigration(Siraracha?)... 15 days needed to change runs out tomorrow

I heard this is what they are doing in Phuket but its obvious 40K refers to husband even though it says pension...they are trying to bend the rules

If husband is foreigner, the following evidence of income must be submitted.
7.1 A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 40,000* per month; 

(I'm not 50)   so are they saying all husbands under 50 have to pay 400K ? they tried to make this out

Immigration Bureau number says not recognised

Edited by richiejom

11 minutes ago, richiejom said:

But this has been stated at Phuket as well.... would Bangkok still issue it?  as this means I can't get the extension based on marriage now coz they won't accept my income letter

Bangkok will not do it unless you have proof of residence for there.

No it does not mean you will be be able to get the extension at Jomtien. Only the section for getting the non immigrant visa is making up their own requirements. No reports of the section doing extension refusing the income letter.

11 minutes ago, richiejom said:

Do you mean multi entry in Savannakhet? that would give me a year then... also can see I'm gonna have to go chasing after my original marriage certificate from the Amphur

No I meant a single entry non-o visa in Savannakhet. Then apply for the extension of stay during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from it.

You will not be able to get a new marriage certificate at an Amphoe. If you have copy of it they will certify it and attach a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry to it that the embassy or consulate will accept.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johng said:

I was able to "convert" in BKK  though it was a good few years ago now

At one time Bangkok was the only place to do it. Since all offices are now authorized it issue a non immigrant visa Bangkok will only do them for people living there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok will only do them for people living there.

I think at the time I was "living"  at Ken Hom's  Maison Chin hotel  ????

120 Sala Daeng 1/1, Khwaeng Silom, Khet Bang Rak, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10500

Their databases maybe working a bit better nowdays ?

12 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

But, if you attempt the 1-year marriage-extension at that office, be aware that the "family extension" desk also want you to use an agent, so will try to block your honest in-person application.  It is nothing at all like the reportedly-friendly retirement desk there. 

Is there some huge cost in using an agent for marriage? This is something I cannot understand?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Bangkok will not do it unless you have proof of residence for there.

Is it just a matter of showing an electricity bill? Plus maybe a rental contact for proof of residence Do you think some people just fudge their residence to get things done.  Would be easy albeit dishonest to do it right? 

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

The cost of using an agent varies, but is always more than 10,000 baht over the basic 1,900 baht fee for an extension. The premium can often be 15,000 baht or more. The bulk of this goes in bribes to immigration. This is have the extension go properly through the Jomtien office. Not recommended, but possible, are extensions that are processed improperly through offices up country where the necessary bribes are a lot lower. That implies 90-day reports also going through that office. Very risky.

Thanks for pointing this out

Recently converted 30 day tourist visa to 90 day Marriage Non O in Ayutthaya. Before expiry will go to 1 year Non O Marriage but had to go the 400k route to get it done. Took 2 weeks to get the Non O 90 day. No Agent, Just the wife. IO were very nice and accommodating, no issues at all.

Edited by iroc4life
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure what the rules are for changing a tourist visa to a marriage visa here in Thailand at immigration but it sounds like that was your problem more than the income affidavit.  You probably should get a new marriage visa outside the country at a Thai Embassy.  

Although here is the law regarding extensions for marriage visa which confirms monthly income verification:

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_18

Although I don't think this law applies to changing a tourist visa to a marriage visa.  This law I copied applies to extensions of marriage visas and the law hasn't changed.  

3 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Although I don't think this law applies to changing a tourist visa to a marriage visa.  This law I copied applies to extensions of marriage visas and the law hasn't changed.  

The only "law" relating to immigration is the immigration act of 1979.. Everything else is done by ministerial regulations and police orders.

What you posted a link to is from the clause of the police order for extension of stay which is clause 2.18 (note the number at the end of the link).

For doing a change of visa status based upon on qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage it is this page on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You cannot compare Phuket to Jomtien or any other office. 

Jomtien has been accepting income letters from a embassy without a problem for extension applications. The desk for visas you dealt with is notorious for making up their own rules to push you in the direction of using an agent.

Sorry Joe, gotta disagree on Jomtien accepting income stat dec letters for ext of stay,attempted to renew my ext of stay early last month with only the embassy letter, young lady said cannot do now with only letter you must show evidence of money in a bank. 

• Like 1

There is deffo something going on in Chon Buri immigration, I went last Week and after queueing up was told to return after lunch, we arrived Before 1pm and there was 30 people ahead of us?

after going through all my paperwork I was told I could not apply more than thirty days ahead, I mentioned that most agents say they do it at two months before expiry date ?

I was then told to apply on the 24th of December ? thirty four days before expiry ??? and that was that. they make it up as they go along.

getting worse I think. oh and my quest was for renewal of extension of stay (retirement) all docs/paperwork ok.

Edited by zoza
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

38 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The only "law" relating to immigration is the immigration act of 1979.. Everything else is done by ministerial regulations and police orders.

What you posted a link to is from the clause of the police order for extension of stay which is clause 2.18 (note the number at the end of the link).

For doing a change of visa status based upon on qualifying for an extension of stay based upon marriage it is this page on the immigration website. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_79

Well the information posted on the immigration website is from their laws obviously or they wouldn't post it on their website but I understand what you mean.  That's just semantics but I get what you're saying.  I knew the rule I posted didn't apply to him and that probably wasn't much help for the op.  So thanks for posting the correct immigration law off of the immigration website that applies to his specific situation because my post didn't really apply to his situation.  I was just thinking extensions specifically my bad.  

6 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Sorry Joe, gotta disagree on Jomtien accepting income stat dec letters for ext of stay,attempted to renew my ext of stay early last month with only the embassy letter, young lady said cannot do now with only letter you must show evidence of money in a bank. 

Were you able to get your extension?

Yours is the only report of Jomtien not accepting proof of income from an embassy.

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Were you able to get your extension?

Yours is the only report of Jomtien not accepting proof of income from an embassy.

Yes, I produced a copy of part of my super fund account in Oz, she looked at it, asked couple of questions then consult her boss, then said all ok, then tongue in cheek said to me with a smile, don't waste yr money again with embassy letter. 

20 minutes ago, zoza said:

There is deffo something going on in Chon Buri immigration, I went last Week and after queueing up was told to return after lunch, we arrived Before 1pm and there was 30 people ahead of us?

after going through all my paperwork I was told I could not apply more than thirty days ahead, I mentioned that most agents say they do it at two months before expiry date ?

I think you are confused about this.

Chonburi is unbending about not allowing extensions more than 30 days before the permission to stay date. No exceptions without an agent.

However, if you use an agent and pay a premium, that 30 days may be extended to 60 days.

If you think you can barge in there and demand they change their long-standing rules on when extension applications can be made just for you, citing what agents can do, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

Gee, guess my comments about big joke got deleted!  When it comes to Jomtien they are pretty consistent in my book doesn't mean they aren't doing things under the table? I always get there early whenever I need to report etc.. you can figure it all out if people would open their eyes just the 30 minutes of waiting you can figure out who are the top dogs running the place, 

My extension falls on the 20th of Feb...  I will go like always 30 days prior which this year put the 20th on a Sunday. last year it was on Saturday so like last year I will go on Friday the 18th.  Will report back since my situation is not common?

11 minutes ago, Oztruckie said:

Yes, I produced a copy of part of my super fund account in Oz, she looked at it, asked couple of questions then consult her boss, then said all ok, then tongue in cheek said to me with a smile, don't waste yr money again with embassy letter. 

They have always had the option of asking for backup-docs for the embassy-letter amount.  In some offices, this is the norm.  It used to be unheard of in Jomtien, but that could be changing. 

I suspect her comment about the letter might have to do with a proposed new police-order in the draft-stage, which might make embassy-letters from some/all consulates no longer needed - but we won't know for sure until it becomes official.

21 hours ago, richiejom said:

(I'm not 50)   so are they saying all husbands under 50 have to pay 400K ? they tried to make this out

From reading the TV forums, they accept retirees income letters as its a pension and something home governments garantee as ongoing future payments, as your under 50 how can you garantee your next years wage of 40k+ per month? Even a early superfund cant be validated through the embassy anymore.

This rule of 40k Im guessing maybe if you have a contract in Thailand for work, but then you would have a work permit.

Unless I am missing something?

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

I think you are confused about this.

Chonburi is unbending about not allowing extensions more than 30 days before the permission to stay date. No exceptions without an agent.

However, if you use an agent and pay a premium, that 30 days may be extended to 60 days.

If you think you can barge in there and demand they change their long-standing rules on when extension applications can be made just for you, citing what agents can do, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment.

MOST IMMIGRATION ALLOW TWO MONTHS TO RENEW EXTENSIONS.

I used an agent for my income letter from the BE he has this on his web

Site and I took it to be the actual truth,

I have contacted him but he just laughed, as he must be happy that Things are looking better if you are an agent.

I thought Chon Buri was known for being helpful

And I was told that if I returned 34 days before I could have the

Extension. yeh 34 ok 40 not ok? all my paperwork was ok.

I was getting told ''this is Thailand we can do as we please''

The only people who were barging in were none farangs, who

Were just walking to the front of the Queue (outside), and were getting 

looked after first, by the one lady giving the tickets out. she even

left her post empty, to deal with these agents while the queue got longer.

Seemed to me worse than last year.

• Like 1

Weird - I have only found them to be very helpful

Of course one wonders why the perceived sexual orientation of the officer is in any way relevant to your story. I thought we had moved on a bit. Perhaps that provides a clue . 

Surely you must realise if you live in the Kingdom and hopefully understand how things are done here- any confrontation and making a fuss - will get you absolutely nowhere; and make the situation much worse. 

Were  you well dressed, pleasant, respectful, smiling - chatting  with the officer - these things can make a big difference - and certainty appearance can be important.

• Like 1

Richiejom,

This is what happened to me 3 weeks ago in that same Jomtien IO. With over 400K. In the bank. We handed over all the paperwork to the io sitting left in front of us, everything seemed to be ok. She handed it over to her colleague and bla bla bla with my wife. She wanted photos of us and a Thai witness showing housenumber, in the livingroom and also in our bedroom.  Also copies of their id card and housebook. That was on a thursday. Friday we drove back to the IO without witness photos in the hope to get a 60 days extension ( it was my last day of my 1 year extension). I finally got a 60 days extension for 1900 baht. A couple days later I found 2 Thai people who want to witness for me but I think end of januari I will drive to Vientiane and apply for a single non O retirement visa since I'm older than 50. After that I can apply for retirement extension at Jomtien IO. Need 800K in a Thai bank but that's not a problem. I have had it with that family desk in Jomtien!

Good luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rutteketuut said:

I will drive to Vientiane and apply for a single non O retirement visa since I'm older than 50. After that I can apply for retirement extension at Jomtien IO

You don't need to get a new non-o visa. You only need to change the reason for your extension from marriage to retirement.