Do you hoard ‘Farang’ food?

Chomper Higgot

Has anyone  ever had  problems  coming  through thai customs  with  farang  food ,   eg  cheese , tinned heinze beans , corned beef, hp sauce , weetabix  .. etc   my  friend  got stopped  with 6 boxes  kellogs fibre  flakes ....ended up giving one  to the  officer  and on his  way !

when I was in LA after a night of drinkin' we'd go to a mom 'n pop mexican place that opened at 6am and chow down on combo plates for breakfast...good hangover food...chorizo and eggs with rice and beans and a stack of fresh corn tortillas with some Superior beer couldn't be beat...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Sounds a bit like the British cousin to American Spam!

I could see eating the British tinned stuff in a corned beef hash.... But I really wouldn't be interested in sitting down to a meal of slices of the tinned stuff solo.  But that's my American palate speaking.  Same answer would apply to Spam, BTW....  

Yup, the British tinned stuff is only good for a sandwich, hash, or throwing in a frying pan with left overs (IMO ).

I have the same opinion on Spam, although it does appear sliced and fried in an English breakfast occasionally, but that to me is kinda like a poor mans bacon !! [emoji51]

7 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

I have the same opinion on Spam, although it does appear sliced and fried in an English breakfast occasionally, but that to me is kinda like a poor mans bacon !! emoji51.png

Spam fritters in my local chippy, in the UK. Always get one with my fish and chips. Been eating them since I was knee high to a grasshopper.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tutsiwarrior said:

when I was in LA after a night of drinkin' we'd go to a mom 'n pop mexican place that opened at 6am and chow down on combo plates for breakfast...good hangover food...chorizo and eggs with rice and beans and a stack of fresh corn tortillas with some Superior beer couldn't be beat...

Jojo's on Richmond in Houston would swell between 2.30 AM and dawn with all the strippers, punters, dick-dancers and barstaff from the surrounding clubs that closed at 2 AM. My favorite to soak up the booze was their chicken fried steak and eggs with jumbo OJ and endless coffee refills. Then, around 6 AM, it was time for a much more sensible bacon, eggs, sausage with a pancake stack at IHOP or maybe sausage, scrambled eggs, biscuits and gravy at Waffle House. Weekends usually meant huevos ranchero at El Rey on North Shepherd.

• Like 1

On 12/23/2018 at 9:56 AM, Andrew Dwyer said:

Yup, the British tinned stuff is only good for a sandwich, hash, or throwing in a frying pan with left overs

I can't understand why people will eat that voluntarily.  

I buy sliced pepper ham from Foodland , only 50 baht for 100 grams , perfect on my sandwich , also buy Gouda cheese 1 kilo for 400 baht (Friendship).  

I see no point in bringing a lot of stuff from abroad , most of it is already here. 

I can't understand why people will eat that voluntarily.  

I buy sliced pepper ham from Foodland , only 50 baht for 100 grams , perfect on my sandwich , also buy Gouda cheese 1 kilo for 400 baht (Friendship).  

I see no point in bringing a lot of stuff from abroad , most of it is already here. 

I wish I had the options you have !

I don’t know where Friendship is ( I’m assuming it’s in Pattaya ). Tops is the nearest ( excepting Lotus and Big C ) and that is 1 1/2 hrs away.
  • Sad 1

On 12/22/2018 at 11:17 PM, Spidey said:

It would have been if I'd spotted them! Love the Irish version of corned beef hash. Easy to make here in Thailand.

I have 4 giant jars of Marmite in my fridge, have it every day for breakfast. Also have a number of London Pies in my freezer. I've only eaten one of them and they've been there for several months. Emergency rations.

Would love to stock up on Warburtons Crumpets, never found them in Thailand. Villa stock crumpets, smaller and far inferior to Warburtons. I think that they were around 140 baht for 6 last time that I bought them, pay 50 baht for a pack of 9 Warburtons in the UK. Went to the new Villa today, no restaurant and crumpets 205 baht for a pack of 6 crappy crumpets. Walked straight out, won't be going back.

Mate brought me 2 packs of Warburtons over last month (18 crumpets). He ate 6, my wife ate 6 and a Thai neighbour had 2. 4 for me! Thais absolutely love a good crumpet, anyone able to import Warburtons would make a fortune.

Easy to make and taste great.

To the original topic. 

Yeah there were things that show up in local Tops outta the blue, and Yes I'd become deranged and buy a ton of it, knowing that you never could be sure when aforementioned item may or may not reappear!

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 11:17 PM, Spidey said:

It would have been if I'd spotted them! Love the Irish version of corned beef hash. Easy to make here in Thailand.

I have 4 giant jars of Marmite in my fridge, have it every day for breakfast. Also have a number of London Pies in my freezer. I've only eaten one of them and they've been there for several months. Emergency rations.

Would love to stock up on Warburtons Crumpets, never found them in Thailand. Villa stock crumpets, smaller and far inferior to Warburtons. I think that they were around 140 baht for 6 last time that I bought them, pay 50 baht for a pack of 9 Warburtons in the UK. Went to the new Villa today, no restaurant and crumpets 205 baht for a pack of 6 crappy crumpets. Walked straight out, won't be going back.

Mate brought me 2 packs of Warburtons over last month (18 crumpets). He ate 6, my wife ate 6 and a Thai neighbour had 2. 4 for me! Thais absolutely love a good crumpet, anyone able to import Warburtons would make a fortune.

crumpets and posh totty? no wonder that folks can't understand you guys...

'hey tutsi...lets go down the whore bar and have a look at the crumpet shall we?...' and then tutsi thinks about home and buttered english muffins...and some nice hot coffee (posh totty)...and from total innocence de debbil emerges again...

addcc88e58ca065c1ab7589994460626.jpg

Edited by tutsiwarrior

When I came to Thailand 3 years ago, I brought a 1m*.750cm*750cm box full of spices, dried fruits, chilies, specialty nuts, grandma's canned harvests, and hot sauces from back home. Can't wait to go home and restock this year.

Every time I go to Bangkok, I make sure to load up on BBQ sauce, wood chips, cereal, and decaff coffee.

Edited by ChokDee4213

When I came to Thailand 3 years ago, I brought a 1m*.750cm*750cm box full of spices, dried fruits, chilies, specialty nuts, grandma's canned harvests, and hot sauces from back home. Can't wait to go home and restock this year.

Every time I go to Bangkok, I make sure to load up on BBQ sauce, wood chips, cereal, and decaff coffee.

Wood chips ?

When I travel to the US, I bring back 15 lbs of goat cheese ($9 a lb. there, compared to $30 a lb here), peanut butter (difficult to get good quality peanut butter here, without added junk, salt, palm oil and sugar, that is not stupid expensive), almond butter, pretzels (again nearly impossible to get pretzels here without the deadly palm oil), vitamins and herbal supplements, good quality chocolate, nuts, dried fruits, vacuum packed wild Alaskan smoked salmon, and much more. On many of those items, the price is 30% of what it costs here, or the items are just not available, at least not the same quality. 

• Like 1

Now that I've moved to Africa and a place where they aint much quality farang OR Thai food at all.... that will be me in our next visit to Thailand.  And we'll be flying whichever airline gives the most baggage allowance.  But no, for the most part we don't hoard when in the village...needing a particular ingredient gives us a good excuse to drive 80 mins to Udon for a touch of civilisation ????