Do you hoard ‘Farang’ food?

Chomper Higgot

About a year ago I bought a can of Princes corned beef when it was on a special promotion at Tesco's for the bargain price of 100 baht.

I've still got it if anyone wants to make me an offer. Its good until 2021.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

Where do you all live? Here in Pattaya there is loads of all these things all the time.not that i eat masses of falang food,but as we lived in the UK when our son was young,he does like it a lot as does his girlfriend NOW lol.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yeah, makes me glad that I live in Sin City, never any shortage of farang food here. Foodland (X2), Friendship, Best, Villa (X2), Central/Tops, Siamburi's, Foodmart, Tesco's Finest imported range, Bic C Extra as well as Big C normal, all loaded up with (expensive but available) farang goodies.

I worked in Nigeria for 7 years in the 1980's and early 1990's, and I can tell you it's really frustrating when you've got loads of money but nothing to spend it on. I'd happily pay 20 quid for a can of asparagus if it was available, which wasn't very often. The Pattaya over-abundance is much better than the farang food famine that's apparently across much of Thailand.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Top tip always travel with an airline that has a cheap or free 2nd bag option and save a fortune when you empty it here ????

thats what i do {pathetic realy}, but i fill my bag with peanut butter, honey, baked beans etc--all nicer and much cheaper, from home country...china sthern airlines give allow 2x 43kgs checked baggage....i maximise on this ...

• Haha 1

i slightly different issue-----why dont pattaya supermarkets offer decent discounts ??? specials

it seems like there is NO  competition here,,,,they have a 'special'  2bahts off---how pittiful....

there is VERY LITTLE  variance in prices from 7 elevens to supermarkets...

it seems like the prices are being 'contolled'....no competition..

• Like 1

I've been using someone who uses the name of Nookie, but don't let that put you off. Corned beef 130 baht among many, many items he sells. He lived fairly close to Korat and is not averse to putting stuff on a bus to distant parts. Probably not allowed to link to him here so PM me if you're interested in getting a link to his website.

12 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

BTW. What is a freezer?

Sorry, in America they are as common as water bottles.  Freezers are just refrigerators what have only one section.....the freezer.  Not sure what you have, maybe not combination fridge/freezers like we have.  Google will help you sort if out if my definitions are incorrect, or not clear enough.  People in America use stand alone freezers to keep meat mostly, but they commonly hold a lot of other things as well.   Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

I've never been to a Supermarket in Pattaya.....anyone got a good source for Kosher Salami and Beef hot dogs?  Also Oscar Meyer all beef bologna.  Like you all said, found these in the Hua Hin Villa market and gorged myself on them until they ran out.......several years later now and haven't ever seen them again and have been unable to convince anyone at Villa to order them for me.

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Could not find Corned beef up here in Chiang Mai,

Princess that is, had a friend just arrived from UK with

some supplies,Yorkshire tea,John West kippers,

and 3 tins Fray Bentos corned beef,you cannot

beat a corned beef ,potato,and onion pie,which

i will be making tomorrow.

regards worgeordie

You're making my mouth water just thinking about the corned beef pie.

Always used to be on the shelves, haven't seen any for many years

Aus Corned Beef is totally different to the Corned Beef us Brits are referring to, that's just some info for anyone who is unsure, I have had both and I much prefer the tinned version from S.America than the Aussie version, chill the tin in the fridge (makes slicing so much easier) slice plenty, put between 2 slices of your favourite bread, lather with lashings of HP Brown Sauce and enjoy :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, TGIR said:

I've never been to a Supermarket in Pattaya.....anyone got a good source for Kosher Salami and Beef hot dogs?  Also Oscar Meyer all beef bologna.  Like you all said, found these in the Hua Hin Villa market and gorged myself on them until they ran out.......several years later now and haven't ever seen them again and have been unable to convince anyone at Villa to order them for me.

You’re full of baloney  lol !

Edited by alex8912

15 hours ago, samsensam said:

i lived and worked in mongolia 20 years ago, the local food could be pretty grim and all foreign food had to come by road. i would pop into the sparcely stocked supermarket a couple of times  a week to see if there had been a delivery of western products and stock up when there had been. thailand today is nothing like mongolia 20  years ago.

Pattaya about 40 years ago was pretty close. All we pioneers had back then was Spinney's at the bottom of Soi Post Office (where McDonalds is now). That and the Golden Tex 'department store' up on Soi 6.

16 hours ago, impulse said:

With you, it's red wine.  With others, it's cheese.  With me, it was a specific flavor of barbecue sauce that I found once, then it went out of stock for years.  When they came back into stock, I stocked up.  I left a lot behind for others, which turned out to be a mistake when I ran out after a few months and never saw that flavor again.  I resorted to making my own barbecue sauce.

I was a heavy user (thus never a hoarder) of Leggo's pasta sauces from Australia, especially their two variants of bolognese sauce. Haven't seen it locally for about a year now although their cream-based sauces (that I don't like) still pop up on shelves now and again.

Like yourself, I started making my own 'recipe' for dads spaghetti night.

Edited by NanLaew

5 hours ago, Guderian said:

Yeah, makes me glad that I live in Sin City, never any shortage of farang food here. Foodland (X2), Friendship, Best, Villa (X2), Central/Tops, Siamburi's, Foodmart, Tesco's Finest imported range, Bic C Extra as well as Big C normal, all loaded up with (expensive but available) farang goodies.

I worked in Nigeria for 7 years in the 1980's and early 1990's, and I can tell you it's really frustrating when you've got loads of money but nothing to spend it on. I'd happily pay 20 quid for a can of asparagus if it was available, which wasn't very often. The Pattaya over-abundance is much better than the farang food famine that's apparently across much of Thailand.

You'd be one of those expats we'd get visiting the ship in Apapa or Port Harcourt. Always on the bum for Branston pickle, cheese and free beer.

I live about 60Ks from the nearest city, and there is food I buy there to bring home which I cannot buy locally, so yes, I am a hoarder, and talking about tins of corned beef, there is Foodland in Soi 5, a tin of Princes corned beef 179 Bt, a five min walk up Sukhumvit Road, and you get that same tin of corned beef at the vastly over priced Villa Market for almost double that price, so yes, I buy some tins at Foodland to bring home with me.

19 hours ago, JAG said:

I quite like the occasional bit of corned beef, and the Waitrose cheddar cheese is rather good. You usually can't get it, because some so and so has bought up the entire supply!

I was just in "Tops" yesterday, they have some frozen sage and onion stuffing in at the moment. I managed to get some, but the Bloke in front of me put six trays in his trolley. Granted, he was an amply proportioned sort of chap, but he must be stuffing a turkey the size of an ostrich this Christmas!

19 hours ago, JAG said:

I quite like the occasional bit of corned beef, and the Waitrose cheddar cheese is rather good. You usually can't get it, because some so and so has bought up the entire supply!

I was just in "Tops" yesterday, they have some frozen sage and onion stuffing in at the moment. I managed to get some, but the Bloke in front of me put six trays in his trolley. Granted, he was an amply proportioned sort of chap, but he must be stuffing a turkey the size of an ostrich this Christmas!

What I would give for a jar of Robertsons Shredless Marmalade, you just cannot buy it here.

16 hours ago, janclaes47 said:

Why the need for an insult.

Do you know what I store in my fridge, and are you so illiterate that you couldn't read that I said FREEZER.

You do know the difference between freezer and fridge, do you?

You have to remember that a lot of Thaivisa members do not have English as their first language.

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What I would give for a jar of Robertsons Shredless Marmalade, you just cannot buy it here.

Mmh - for me cheese, especially Wensleydale, Caerphilly and Lancashire... if anyone knows?