Rules for issue of Non-O in different provinces

5 years ago I obtained my first Non-O 90-day visa for retirement in Bangkok.  It was simple and fairly quick.  I applied the day after my money arrived at the bank, and had my visa in just 2 weeks.  I used a hotel address, and they took my word for it that I was staying there.  I subsequently extended it by one year, and then repeated annually.  

Unfortunately I let my last extension lapse when out of Thailand for more than one year. 

Now I am back, and trying to do it all over again  But this time I am staying with a friend in Nonthaburi, so must deal with Immigration there.  The rules are so different and the whole process so much more difficult and intrusive that I wonder if this is a nationwide change in rules, or just Nonthaburi making up its own rules.

1) They made me wait until one month after the money arrived in my account before I could even apply for a Non-O visa.
2) I had bring with me the purchase contract and house registration of the friend with whom I was staying, a map of the area around her house showing the exact location, and a set of photographs of myself in front of the house, showing the address, another in the bedroom where I sleep, another in the living room, kitchen, etc - about 6-8 photographs as they demanded.  
3) After doing all that, they will not give me any information about the date I can expect issue of the visa, but tell me that I must call repeatedly to ask about it. The line is nearly always busy, and the person answering speaks no English..

4) The next week I received a phone call from an Immigration officers (non English-speaking).  I am told that officers will arrive at the house at 9 o'clock the following morning to inspect the premises.  They show up only about an hour late.  I had to keep my Thai friend away from her work to do this as she had to be there to communicate with the officers and show here ID yet again.  They made me sit on the bed I sleep on with the wardrobe open showing my clothes are actually there while they take yet more photographs of me, the first of many more.  They cannot provide any information about how much longer I must wait for the visa.

I have already extended my 30 day visa waiver up to the 60 day maximum, and have little time left.  I am worried now that I will not get the visa in time to avoid having to leave the country or risk prosecution for overstay after my permission to stay expires while I wait an indeterminate time for my visa.   

Furthermore, they told me (via my friend) that they will make a similar visit two more times during my 12-month extension to check up on me.  I am not making any of this up I assure all readers!  I can hardly believe it myself...

Now the next problem arises.  I have overstayed my welcome (partly as a result of the above) at my friend's house, and need to rent a place of my own.  The area I would like to live in is in Bangkok, not Nonthaburi.  Now I have these questions:- 

1) If I get a Non-O issued in Nonthaburi, can I get it extended for a year after moving to Bangkok by going to the Bangkok Immigration office?  Will they be willing to extend a visa issued in another province?   

2) Are the current rules in Bangkok anything like the ones I have just described as being enforced in Nonthaburi?  If the Bangkok system is as it was when I last experienced it, then I have an additional compelling reason to prefer living there!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, roberta said:

I have already extended my 30 day visa waiver up to the 60 day maximum, and have little time left.  I am worried now that I will not get the visa in time to avoid having to leave the country or risk prosecution for overstay after my permission to stay expires while I wait an indeterminate time for my visa.   

The delay in getting the approval is that it has to sent to immigration division 3 for approval.

Immigration should get the the visa application approved before your permit to stay ends. If not then they should do a under consideration stamp that would allow you to stay until it is approved.

There is no prosecution for an overstay unless you are caught with it. Normal is a 500 baht fine for each day of overstay.

11 hours ago, roberta said:

1) If I get a Non-O issued in Nonthaburi, can I get it extended for a year after moving to Bangkok by going to the Bangkok Immigration office?  Will they be willing to extend a visa issued in another province?   

2) Are the current rules in Bangkok anything like the ones I have just described as being enforced in Nonthaburi?  If the Bangkok system is as it was when I last experienced it, then I have an additional compelling reason to prefer living there!

1. Yes

2. No

Nonthaburi immigration is known for coming up with some strange requirements of their own.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunProletariat said:

Go to Savannakhet in Laos and apply for your NON-O visa there. 

Easier said than done for a non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement. He would still need the money in the bank and proof of retirement to get it there plus of course a trip to Savannakhet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, ubonjoe,  for the clear and definitive information.  I only wish I had asked here about Nonthaburi Immigration before applying, as I could almost as easily have used a Bangkok address and could have had my visa by now. 

Do you think I should go to Nonthaburi Immigration on or before 6 Jan (the day my permission to stay expires) and request the "under consideration" stamp you mentioned?   Apparently one of the officers told my Thai friend that I would be safe because I have applied, but I have nothing to show any visa application in my passport, just a loose paper receipt for 2000 baht which mentions non-O and retirement.

14 minutes ago, roberta said:

Do you think I should go to Nonthaburi Immigration on or before 6 Jan (the day my permission to stay expires) and request the "under consideration" stamp you mentioned? 

Yes you should but I think it will be done before the 6th.

3 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Why on earth would you expect Thais to learn English to make your life easier?

Immigration offices accept documentation in English and Thai.  I have overheard people of several nationalities speaking English to Thai immigration offices, as this is the common-language used between almost all.  I suspect they refuse to speak English at that office, as part of their general "make problems for farang" attitude.

This includes lying about needing a "seasoning period" on money for a Non-O Stamp, which is against the rules issued by Bangkok.  This lie is also enforced at the Jomtien office, but they want 2 months seasoning - "or use an agent" for 20K Baht - which I suspect is the reason for all the headaches they are giving to the OP - no agent-fee.

Still no word of a "home visit" for an agent-application reported here yet.

Edited by JackThompson

On 12/22/2018 at 6:00 PM, glegolo said:

For me as a swede I see it as a step towards being able to communicate with eachother round the world. I feel that I have taken one step ahead by learning english this because nobody speak swedish outside Sweden.

I do therefore expect other nationalities to do likewise, if not, I do not see them as especially cooperative and willing to have a communiction, and work together to ackomplish anything hand in hand so to speak....

But in this country they just do not care, they live their lifes in their village and are happy with that thinking screw the swedes and the english and the americans...

glegolo

why would you expect other nationalities to learn english as you did, did ever consider they may not have the means (financial or brains) to do so??? did somebody forced you to learn english or you did it on your own?

by any chance did anybody forced you to come to thailand? if you cam in your own you should have done you home work before coming and if you did the home work you would know that in thailand the english speaking level is very or extremely low...knowing that don't ask for miracles.... adjust to the place and to the people

Edited by Mavideol
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/22/2018 at 6:00 PM, glegolo said:

For me as a swede I see it as a step towards being able to communicate with eachother round the world. I feel that I have taken one step ahead by learning english this because nobody speak swedish outside Sweden.

I do therefore expect other nationalities to do likewise, if not, I do not see them as especially cooperative and willing to have a communiction, and work together to ackomplish anything hand in hand so to speak....

But in this country they just do not care, they live their lifes in their village and are happy with that thinking screw the swedes and the english and the americans...

glegolo

The OP already has good advice from UBON(as usual), so without sidetracking thread, I must say your post should be held up as typical farang superior nonesence. Most Thais do not have access to western education systems. They, if lucky, receive basic education. Certainly not affluent Sweden. So you lob on Thaivisa with T shirt.." Look at me I'm so clever I learnt English". BTW got had small smirk at your reference to English that YOU need in your travels. Unlike your nationality and many others, Thai cannot travel throughout the world due to money and travel restrictions (visas).

Edited by DrJack54
Error
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Mavideol said:

why would you expect other nationalities to learn english as you did, did ever consider they may not have the means (financial or brains) to do so??? did somebody forced you to learn english or you did it on your own?

by any chance did anybody forced you to come to thailand? if you cam in your own you should have done you home work before coming and if you did the home work you would know that in thailand the english speaking level is very or extremely low...knowing that don't ask for miracles.... adjust to the place and to the people

I cant really put it any other way than I did. If you cant grasp the meaning or agree to what I am saying then it is certainly your own loss...

Anyhow for me, we started at age 10 (1961) in school to learn english... Soon after that I became teenager plus Beatles and the popculture hit Scandinavia and it became "kosher" to learn and speak english, This language as being the comon communication between the western countries.

Since then english became even more frekvent around the world and as I said if everybody learn english, that is to take one step forward to comon understanding. If you do not agree, then I feel very sorry for you...

glegolo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The OP already has good advice from UBON(as usual), so without sidetracking thread, I must say your post should be held up as typical farang superior nonesence. Most Thais do not have access to western education systems. They, if lucky, receive basic education. Certainly not affluent Sweden. So you lob on Thaivisa with T shirt.." Look at me I'm so clever I learnt English". BTW got had small smirk at your reference to English that YOU need in your travels. Unlike your nationality and many others, Thai cannot travel throughout the world due to money and travel restrictions (visas).

You yourself do NOT contribute a shit, so bye bye.....

glegolo

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You yourself do NOT contribute a shit, so bye bye.....

glegolo

16 minutes ago, glegolo said:

You English is OK. You can omit the "a" in your post. Superior one. Maybe also the "You yourself", but I get your meaning. How's your Thai?

Edited by DrJack54
Error

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I must say your post should be held up as typical farang superior nonesence.

What is wrong with you?

The officers work for immigration. Immigration deals with foreigners, obviously.

The commonly accepted language for business and other is English.

For this reason, Europeans and others learn English.

Now, place yourself in a Thai immigration office, where Thai's don't use the services and so there is no need for the Thai language. The only people going in there are non nationals and the vast majority will have some level of English.

Now, watch the Thai immigration officer speak Thai to the 'customers' who mostly speak English. That's like saying you are a mechanic but you can't fix cars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/22/2018 at 5:41 PM, Pedrogaz said:

Why on earth would you expect Thais to learn English to make your life easier? You are in Thailand. People speak Thai here, not English. It is one of the difficulties of living in a foreign country where you don't speak the language. You came to live here, they didn't;t beg you to come here. Learn to speak Thai.

Yes, they should also take all English and Russian off all the road signs and advertising,  too. This is Thailand.

I came here PRECISELY because I knew I could get by with only English. Glad you are smart enough to learn Thai. I am not and I have a lot of company.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thequietman said:

What is wrong with you?

The officers work for immigration. Immigration deals with foreigners, obviously.

The commonly accepted language for business and other is English.

For this reason, Europeans and others learn English.

Now, place yourself in a Thai immigration office, where Thai's don't use the services and so there is no need for the Thai language. The only people going in there are non nationals and the vast majority will have some level of English.

Now, watch the Thai immigration officer speak Thai to the 'customers' who mostly speak English. That's like saying you are a mechanic but you can't fix cars!

Best post I have seen in years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/23/2018 at 9:05 PM, glegolo said:

I cant really put it any other way than I did. If you cant grasp the meaning or agree to what I am saying then it is certainly your own loss...

Anyhow for me, we started at age 10 (1961) in school to learn english... Soon after that I became teenager plus Beatles and the popculture hit Scandinavia and it became "kosher" to learn and speak english, This language as being the comon communication between the western countries.

Since then english became even more frekvent around the world and as I said if everybody learn english, that is to take one step forward to comon understanding. If you do not agree, then I feel very sorry for you...

glegolo

Do foreigners who move to Sweden not have to learn Swedish? Does Swedish immigration/bureaucracy all speak English? 

They do not.

How about learning Thai when living in Thailand?

Happy New Year

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Do foreigners who move to Sweden not have to learn Swedish? Does Swedish immigration/bureaucracy all speak English? 

They do not.

Happy New Year

You are wrong... ALL people almost, except the dyslectic or stupid ones, speak english in Sweden, Dont underestimate us plse...

Regarding speaking thai when living in Thailand, I cant really argue with that. I would love to be able to speak thai...

Sawatdee phi mai khrap...

glegolo

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Letseng said:

They do not.

Happy New Year

Bogus..

The Thai immigration officers who work in the offices have to pass a basic English proficiency test.

I have only been here 3 years full time, but I think learning Thai is a waste of time.  Have gotten by just fine with only a few appreciative and kind Thai words.

• Confused 1

Whilst I agree that it is right and proper to learn Thai if you decide to live in Thailand permanently, it is not unreasonable to expect Thai immigration officers, or the immigration officers of any country for that matter, to speak English.  English is the international language and the whole purpose of having such a language is so that different nations can communicate. 

I think you will find that most Thai immigration officers do speak English to a certain degree - they may choose not to use that education for reasons we all know about. I'm pretty sure that if you said "would 10,000 baht make this application go more smoothly" they would understand that.

Edited by KhaoYai

On 12/23/2018 at 6:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

All that is not the fault of expats who want to live here.

Why on earth would you expect Thais to learn English to make your life easier? You are in Thailand. People speak Thai here, not English. It is one of the difficulties of living in a foreign country where you don't speak the language. You came to live here, they didn't;t beg you to come here. Learn to speak Thai.

They are Immigration. Dealing with foreigners. How can they do there job properly without speaking another language.

On 12/22/2018 at 11:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

Easier said than done for a non-o visa based upon being 50 or over for retirement. He would still need the money in the bank and proof of retirement to get it there plus of course a trip to Savannakhet.

Hi everyone, happy new year to all.

Having read the nightmare that Nonthaburi has become for issuing a Non-O it may be best to avoid that place (I'm in that province).

Does anyone know exactly what documents are required for a Non-O from Savannakhet?

Joe has already mentioned proof of $800k in a Thai Bank.  No problem there.  Do you need to provide a letter from the bank stating that the funds came from outside Thailand?  What is this proof of Retirement?

What other documents are required?

Is it possible obtain a Non-O in Phnom Penh?  I ask because we are going to Cambodia just before my entry stamp expires.

TIA

7 minutes ago, lujanit said:

Joe has already mentioned proof of $800k in a Thai Bank.  No problem there.  Do you need to provide a letter from the bank stating that the funds came from outside Thailand?  What is this proof of Retirement?

What other documents are required?

You only need copies of your bank book. Update it just before your start your trip.

Proof you are retired. Their website states it needs to be from embassy but their was recent report of them accepting a pension statement.

You could try in Phnom Penh. They seem to reluctant to issue them.I can recall a report of person waiting for 2 hours while the decision was made as to whether they would accept the application for the non-o visa. He did get one though.

English is the Universal Language of the world.  It's the language of medicine and aviation, and I'm sure a few other professions.  In America we find translators to help our visitors navigate things such as border crossings.  

Perhaps we are just more evolved.