Brit who broke neck diving into shallow end of pool to return home on Christmas Day

rooster59

Brit who broke neck diving into shallow end of pool to return home on Christmas Day 

Kate Buck

SEI_45094873-de20-e1545385556676.jpg

Sophie Wilson, 24, broke two vertebrae in her spine by diving into a shallow pool in Thailand on December 1  (Picture: Leicester Mercury/BPM Media)

A British woman who was left with no feeling from her chest down after diving into a shallow pool in Thailand will begin her long journey home on Christmas Day.

Sophie Wilson, 24, was one week into her six-month backpacking tour of Asia when she broke two vertebrae in her spine on December 1.

Just before midnight on Christmas Day, Sophie will be taken on a stretcher to Chiang Mai Aiport with three Thai medics and her parents for the 13-hour flight to Heathrow.

Full story: https://metro.co.uk/2018/12/21/brit-who-broke-neck-diving-into-shallow-end-of-pool-to-return-home-on-christmas-day-8272170/

METRO: 2018-12-22

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

There was a previous mention of her insurance company name. Can anyone update that info. Bit unrelated to this young lady, however insurance cover is a big problem. In particular fact many insurance companies do not cover motorbike accidents (small print). In this case didn't cover pool accident.

I wonder if insurance from a "GOOD" company could be offered to tourists visiting los. Recently a young Australian man passed away after being flown back to au after motorbike crash. He also used go fund me. I personally was surprised that this ladies gofundme raised so much money. A credit to those that supported her. Now we all hope for full recovery.

Dr Jack. It is not so much about good and bad companies although of course there are bandits to steer clear of. It is about getting the cover you really need and making a call on the cost. Most feel that they will cut a corner or two and some, like this young lady, live to regret it. Everyone hates insurance when paying their premium, and they hate them even more when they make a claim and get nothing. Then there are the people who cry with happiness when they talk about their insurance company because, like a friend of mine right now, they pay out, without any dispute US$2mio for her cancer treatment (over 6 year period). You pays your money and you takes yer choice.

• Like 2

There is a rooftop pool in the building where my son's condo is located in Bangkok that is an accident waiting to happen. The entire pool is tiled in black so that one has absolutely no reference point to warn himself that he is approaching the end of the pool. In fact, one must constantly lift his head out of the water to see where he is going or risk bumping his head. Most lap pools where I come from have black tiles in them only to mark lanes and to mark the end of the pool.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Rod the Sod said:

Dr Jack. It is not so much about good and bad companies although of course there are bandits to steer clear of. It is about getting the cover you really need and making a call on the cost. Most feel that they will cut a corner or two and some, like this young lady, live to regret it. Everyone hates insurance when paying their premium, and they hate them even more when they make a claim and get nothing. Then there are the people who cry with happiness when they talk about their insurance company because, like a friend of mine right now, they pay out, without any dispute US$2mio for her cancer treatment (over 6 year period). You pays your money and you takes yer choice.

And you have read her policy no doubt, I assume. If not, I'd say you know a lot less than you think you do about insurance companies. I've had enough dealings with all sorts of Ins companies to be considered an expert. It's luck of the draw as to whether an insurance company will look for an excuse to weasel out of coverage. This move is a classic one, industry standard to try to blame the victim. Some are more crooked than others but they're all crooked to some extent. My fire insurance company wanted to falsely accuse me of arson in order to deny coverage. I got a lawyer and we beat the crap out of them, and they paid dearly. I now have a nice nest egg in a mutual fund, and a 1957 Thunderbird. I fixed up the house myself because I really don't care about it - Thailand is home now. Thank you State Farm Insurance for being a bunch of heartless a$$ holes and being stupid enough to think you could beat a seasoned attorney.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The first rule of diving is know the depth of the water you're diving into. 

If you don't know the depth or what's beneath the surface, you don't dive.  It's as simple as that. 

Shallow end of the gene pool. ????

Oh, and young people are not supposed to make mistakes, is that it? Plenty of people twice as smart as you think you are make mistakes under various and variable circumstances. Do you suppose maybe she never got any formal teaching as to swimming, maybe was never told that "rule"? Your remark is disgustingly insensitive, and reflects your own shallowness as a person. You're laughing and joking about a tragic and painful thing. How's that for a "shallow" reference? Shame on you. You're a poor excuse for a human being, even if you are a skilled diver and swimmer

Edited by Jonathan Swift
spelling
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect her 'go fund me' campaign was so successful because people recognized the injustice... She'd taken the right steps to get insurance and was then cheated. 

I do wish the unlucky young lady a full recovery. 

As I recall from a previous story they blamed her for negligence, that was how they rationalized denying her

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I suspect her 'go fund me' campaign was so successful because people recognized the injustice... She'd taken the right steps to get insurance and was then cheated. 

I do wish the unlucky young lady a full recovery. 

The campaign was also successful because she is a woman and not a man. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The first rule of diving is know the depth of the water you're diving into. 

If you don't know the depth or what's beneath the surface, you don't dive.  It's as simple as that. 

Shallow end of the gene pool. ????

If God told me to choose her genes or your genes for my newborn baby I would choose hers. I don’t know her but your words tell me all I need to know about you so I would take my chances with someone else. ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

I now have a nice . . . . . and a 1957 Thunderbird

After reading your post, I shouldn't worry about the old T-bird. Keep cracking funnies like that and you'll be able to afford a new one . . . one day ????

• Haha 1