Police arrest man and woman over Gatwick drone disruption

rooster59

5 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Punishment may well go the same way as the 'Grenfell garden bonfire' stunt once the outrage has passed.

Although that stunt was extremely distasteful , apart from hurting peoples feelings, it didnt cause anyone any issues or problems .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pegman said:

I'm with you. The more I read about this the more I sense the cops picked up the wrong people. Let's see how long it takes them to admit it. The appropriate minister should resign for being so ill prepared for such an expected event.

Who fits the demographic for a droner? Essex chav or eco warrior? Guy works as a double glazing installer. Take a look at his wedding photos. Classic Essex chav. Smart arse who thought it big and clever to shut an airport down with his beloved drone.

Edited by Spidey

11 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:
16 hours ago, 7by7 said:

You must be bitterly disappointed that the arrested couple are white and have British names.

No. Most people will be relieved, because we have names and faces. 

My comment was directed at a specific individual as a reaction to his earlier xenophobic comment; it was not a general remark to all members. As should be obvious to all who have read the entire thread up to that point.

22 minutes ago, tebee said:

But not before the Mail has them tried, convicted and sentenced, then hung out to dry.

I do hope they have a good lawyer...

DvGT71WWkAA_-50.jpg

My thoughts too. The press have exposed this man/couple by name, appearance, work history (Artillery veteran, see later) and 'x marks the spot' to their house. If they later fall foul of opportunistic vigilantes, perhaps including the sort that turn up mob handed & wearing pyjamas Plod and the press will have some explaining to do. 

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Prime suspects are still protesters against Gatwick expansion, followed by environmentalists opposed to all commercial flights.

Revenge for the fallout over Salisbury tops my shortlist but it's little more than guesswork on my part for now.

Edited by evadgib

17 hours ago, smedly said:

I can't see the currently arrested couple as the culprits - for me they just don't fit although they could be helping police find who is responsible, if it is them then it really is hard to believe  

ahem :whistling:

6 minutes ago, evadgib said:
25 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Prime suspects are still protesters against Gatwick expansion, followed by environmentalists opposed to all commercial flights.

Revenge for the fallout over Salisbury tops my shortlist but it's little more than guesswork ...for now.

Living only 20 miles from Gatwick, and 11 miles from Heathrow, I can assure you that all the local media, broadcast, printed and internet, go for Gatwick expansion protesters or environmentalists.

Of course, as with anything, conspiracy theories abound: from covering up aliens to a government plot to justify banning all non military drones.

Hopefully the police will soon find those responsible and the truth will out; unless one believes the conspiracies!

21 minutes ago, evadgib said:

My thoughts too. The press have exposed this man/couple by name, appearance, work history (Artillery veteran, see later) and 'x marks the spot' to their house. If they later fall foul of opportunistic vigilantes, perhaps including the sort that turn up mob handed & wearing pyjamas Plod and the press will have some explaining to do. 

Exactly why the police don't usually release the names of suspects until and unless they are charged.

But, unfortunately, in this case the press seem to have found out their names and the irresponsible elements published their full details.

I wonder who told them; a neighbour bunged a couple of hundred quid? The tabloids are notorious for offering this sort of money for such information.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Living only 20 miles from Gatwick, and 11 miles from Heathrow, I can assure you that all the local media, broadcast, printed and internet, go for Gatwick expansion protesters or environmentalists.

Of course, as with anything, conspiracy theories abound: from covering up aliens to a government plot to justify banning all non military drones.

Hopefully the police will soon find those responsible and the truth will out; unless one believes the conspiracies!

How far is Highdown or the nearest HMP? I seem to recall it was pretty much next door.

Edited by evadgib

10 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

HMP High Down is about 10 miles. HMP Bisley about 5, as is HMP Send.

Why?

I meant proximity to Gatwick rather than to you! ????

(& I think Bisley Nick is called Coldingly)

I wondered if drug lifts might have had something to do with it?

Edited by evadgib

51 minutes ago, evadgib said:

I meant proximity to Gatwick rather than to you! ????

(& I think Bisley Nick is called Coldingly)

I wondered if drug lifts might have had something to do with it?

Sorry, the <deleted> 'Technical Difficulties' mean that pages take an age to load for me and I answered in a hurry without thinking as the wife was asking me to do something for her.

Yes, the prison at Bisley is officially called Coldingly, but referred to as Bisley by us locals.

The nearest prison to Gatwick is High Down, 16 miles away. The next nearest is Downview, also 16 miles (they're basically next door to each other).

I see where you are coming from as drones have been used to fly contraband into prisons many times. But the distance to the nearest prison is surely too great for these to be contraband lifts gone awry. 

There is an Immigration Detention Centre in the grounds of Gatwick, but as far as I am aware there have been no cases of drones being used to smuggle contraband into an IDC; though this could be the first such. I suppose another possibility is that those responsible wanted to delay flights in an effort to prevent an inmate of the IDC being deported.

But my money is still on his being some form of Gatwick expansion protest.

• Like 1