What age did you retire and how much did you have?

georgegeorgia

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

He said he retired at 48 and he is now 48 and lives in Thailand without spending any money and thanked immigration for the 800k bank method. I didn't understand it either. 

He didn't actually say that - or at least he didn't mean that.  The clue was in him now finally receiving a pension.

I think he was reflecting back to age 48 and what he then thought he would be worth NOW (x number of years later)

8 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

He didn't actually say that - or at least he didn't mean that.  The clue was in him now finally receiving a pension.

I think he was reflecting back to age 48 and what he then thought he would be worth NOW (x number of years later)

i think Marcus was just pulling his thing !    no, not his thing....His thing !   

'Retired' here aged 50 after selling my business in the UK.

Last year invested B3.8m which is currently giving an annual return of B1.2m

UK assets earning around B60k per month.

UK pension will kick in in 2 years time, may increase current investment as ROI of around 30% is hard to come by elsewhere.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, grollies said:

UK pension will kick in in 2 years time, may increase current investment as ROI of around 30% is hard to come by elsewhere.

Where can I get that ROI? With the state of the market at the moment, my ROI is decreasing by the minute.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, GarryP said:

Where can I get that ROI? With the state of the market at the moment, my ROI is decreasing by the minute.

Not from behind a computer screen. Hardest 12 months 'work' I've ever done but the return is worth it.

2 hours ago, grollies said:

I'm wondering if that 30% ROI will look so good when you've lost 90% of your capital.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm wondering if that 30% ROI will look so good when you've lost 90% of your capital.

You are right to a point. But with exchange rates going south and earnings from low savings interest minimal I was eating into the capital living here.

Of course 'I' couldn't sell on the investment but I should recoup the capital within three years. As I am relatively young the return here this investment will provide for my wife and me in the years ahead, provide my stepson with an income and a business when I'm gone.

My children in the UK are provided for separately.

You can't take it with you.

31 minutes ago, grollies said:

You are right to a point. But with exchange rates going south and earnings from low savings interest minimal I was eating into the capital living here.

Of course 'I' couldn't sell on the investment but I should recoup the capital within three years. As I am relatively young the return here this investment will provide for my wife and me in the years ahead, provide my stepson with an income and a business when I'm gone.

My children in the UK are provided for separately.

You can't take it with you.

I wish you luck. While you can't take it with you, there are plenty of people around who would like to take it from you.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, grollies said:

You are doing well, but nows the time to enjoy !!

On 12/28/2018 at 8:48 PM, whitemouse said:

Really? That's 120.000 THB every month, Thailand  and for you this amount covers only going out occasionally.

Can I ask, where do you go, when you go out? And what are daily expenses, roughly? 

I am sincerely curious about spending this amount, and it doesn't even cover going out every night.

I have a daughter and a high maintenance GF. Nuff said?

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 4:36 PM, Kolantaman said:

Been traveling and staying in Thailand since 2004. Retire in 2.5 years with full medical coverage in USA only.

Pension will be 3.8 million baht per year, minus USA taxes it drops to 2.9 million baht/year clear. Plus have 32.2 million baht cash. Other cash stays in USA as backup and in case Thailand just doesnt work out. 

North and south are so inexpensive to live in. Depends on your lifestyle ......just make sure you have cash, brokerage accounts, in your country as a backup.

Use a reputable Thai bank and aet up an account.

Can live reasonably well on 1.2 million baht a year.......

1.2 is about what my income is, between SSD and dividend income.
I had to "retire" at fifty, as I could no longer work reliably. I wasted five years trying to find a way to make a living, meanwhile spending a bunch of cash I wish I had now.
It took a only couple of weeks for the SS Administration to declare me permanently disabled after examination by one of their docs.
Gross from SSD is $1,439, and $1,637 from dividends. Tricky part there is it is paid quarterly, so I have to time transfers every three months to get the 65,000 number for retirement basis.

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 6:39 PM, MadMuhammad said:

Retired @ 36 and moved here at 40 with around 25mil baht in stocks, term deposits and cash. My budget is around 750K per year including all utilities, rent, registrations, insurances, food etc Making around 1mil baht a year in dividends and capital growth. I live relatively cheap but in a nice condo with a decent girlfriend that works a good job.

I brought in a year or so cash for living costs before the exchange rate went south so it hasn’t effected me just yet. 

the capital growth on your stocks is going to up to shit this year when global equity markets collapse. The volatility we have seen in the last few months is nothing compared to what's happening. I sold my stocks and waiting to buy back in

• Like 1

On 12/29/2018 at 6:37 PM, GarryP said:
On 12/29/2018 at 6:27 PM, grollies said:

roulette.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Naam said:

roulette.jpg

Absolutely agree, but life's a gamble. I look at it this way:

I have the cash from selling my business and am investing it here in Thailand for a very good return.

I have a SSAS (not military) pension, property, cash and funds. The funds are managed by others and I have no day-to-day control of those funds, save pulling the investments if they look to be taking a dive. The businesses the funds are invested in I have no control over.

My investment here I have full control over and my wife, stepson and me make the decisions as to how things are done. A punt? Yes. Risky? Yes, to a certain extent.

But I have not paid for renting land, building a house and I bet many here have spent that much building a home, including you and don't get a return from it.

I live here, hopefully for the rest of my life, so have no problem committing fully to my wife, home and the country, with all its faults and immigration requirements.

I feel sorry for those with the attitude of don't put in more than you are prepared to walk away from. Bad attitude. IMHO.

Edited by grollies

19 minutes ago, grollies said:

I feel sorry for those with the attitude of don't put in more than you are prepared to walk away from. Bad attitude. IMHO.

this on Thaivisa often heard "advice" is not bad attitude but in my [not so] humble view clearly rubbish because it applies to any investment in any part of this planet.  however, i agree with your comment

life's a gamble

and so is any investment which provides a multiple of prevailing "normal" yield.

ps. my picture comment was not meant to criticise but as a factual statement. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Naam said:

this on Thaivisa often heard "advice" is not bad attitude but in my [not so] humble view clearly rubbish because it applies to any investment in any part of this planet.  however, i agree with your comment

and so is any investment which provides a multiple of prevailing "normal" yield.

ps. my picture comment was not meant to criticise but as a factual statement. 

Understood, thanks.