What age did you retire and how much did you have?

georgegeorgia

I have a friend ( Australian) about to retire to Thailand ( Phuket), 

he has turned 60 and is eligible for his Superannuation.

/ retirement funds.

He will receive approx , roughly around 11 to 12 million baht at todays rates.

he has to wait until 67 to access the Govt pension scheme 

Questionif your retired , what age did yiu retire? 

How much in thai baht did you retire

has it lasted a long time

gg&

2 hours ago, Will27 said:

You better advise him he will have to return to Australia at 65 for 2 years

to get his OAP.

Retired here at 45.

Better for him to go back to Oz before 65 and prove his residency otherwise he will not get the pension. It will depend on how long he has been paying taxes there. I know of people that went back, went on the dole until they got the pension and were sweet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

he has to wait until 67 to access the Govt pension scheme 

Not sure what you by the above pension scheme, you mean old age pension? if so, very rarely old age pension given to people in Thailand as Australia and Thailand doesn't have reciprocal arrangements regarding OAP...

• Like 1

I retired here at 63 with about that amount of money but income around 600,000 baht. He will need to be very frugal if he has little other income as my budget was 800,000 per year with cheap rent and eating Thai food. Have now spent 5M baht on house and land so the income has gone down as well as the aud/baht exchange rate. That leaves maybe 10 years money left, so at 60 yo it is not enough without other income.

Going through this I can't help thinking about some other threads on income letters and compulsory health insurance. The more i read the more I can understand that the Thai authorities are getting restless about a large group foreigner who have put themselves in a potentially difficult situation.

As far as I am concerned I came at 62, when eligible for a full pension of about 2.7M a year with about 15M, half of which has be spent on a nice house. I also have a "no limit" health coverage for me and my elder daughter. And all this doesn't make feel like I and my family were 100% safe.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

Better for him to go back to Oz before 65 and prove his residency otherwise he will not get the pension. It will depend on how long he has been paying taxes there. I know of people that went back, went on the dole until they got the pension and were sweet.

He doesn't qualify until he's 67 so going back at 65 would be perfect.

48 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Not sure what you by the above pension scheme, you mean old age pension? if so, very rarely old age pension given to people in Thailand as Australia and Thailand doesn't have reciprocal arrangements regarding OAP...

There are loads of Aussies living in Thailand getting the Old Age Pension.

Once you qualify, you can get portability.

11 minutes ago, Ahab said:

Retired here at 54 years of age, two years ago, on a US Navy military pension (24 years). I will receive additional pensions when I turn 62 years of age. Currently plenty to live a very comfortable lifestyle in rural Thailand. We also bought our house (wife's house), and a truck (my truck) with cash. Our monthly bills here are about 2000 baht for electricity ($63 USD), 700 baht for internet ($22 USD), and 200 baht for water ($6 USD), fuel for the truck varies but is less than $100 USD per month, and about 6000 baht ($188 USD for health insurance). No debt, life is good.

I guess a lot of you from the USA are lucky with your Govt paying military pensions and other Pensions after 20 years Service.

38 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

If it was “enough” then, it is unlikely to be enough now with exchange rate factors.

Well its 31 years here,and have more than I started with,and about 70 % in THB,

so i think it will still be enough.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I guess a lot of you from the USA are lucky with your Govt paying military pensions and other Pensions after 20 years Service.

Aussies are even luckier if they served in Vietnam, declared PTSD and retired very comfortably.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Well its 31 years here,and have more than I started with,and about 70 % in THB,

so i think it will still be enough.

regards worgeordie

So your income (forget capital) has been higher than your expenditure for 31 years +/- exchange rate factors since 1987.