9 motorists strapped with ankle monitors and placed on parole for drunk driving

rooster59

9 motorists strapped with ankle monitors and placed on parole for drunk driving

11.jpg

Nine motorists were placed on parole and strapped with ankle monitors for 15 days by the court on Thursday after they were found guilty of drunk driving, said Mr Prasarn Mahaleetrakul, director-general of the Probation Department, today.

The nine convicted drunk drivers were among 313 offenders who were caught for drunk driving on the first day of the 7-day road safety campaign during the New Year’s festival.

Besides the ankle monitors, the nine convicted drunk drivers were barred from leaving their houses or from where they are living from 10 pm until 4 am the next morning for 15 days and to undertake community service for 24 hours and have their driving licenses suspended for six months.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/9-motorists-strapped-with-ankle-monitors-and-placed-on-parole-for-drunk-driving/

thaipbs.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-12-29
  • Like 1

Try 900,000 tags..there was a head on scooter and pick up right outside the bar I was sat in last night.no lights and driver pissed up.feeble effort of any sort of punishment.ive driven around for 10 years without a Thai license so what does it matter.anyway here comes the carnage and dodgy numbers on road accidents and road kills.oh and the standard pics of officials patting each other on their backs at the end of death week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Same sense of denial about cause and effect exhibited by the NRA about firearm possession in the US.

Only once people realise that lack of enforcement and lack of popular pressure for change means that their parents and children will continue to die indiscriminately will anything improve.

I partially agree.  What I do agree is that Law Enforcement does not enforce the law.  Gun laws in US.  All Laws in Thailand.

On Saturday, December 29, 2018 at 9:20 AM, fruitman said:

I just went to a party with 15 Thai, they were all drunk and drove their car home except one who used a taxi.

Opposite where we lived a few years ago was a Plod , above your average plod , possibly sergeant plod. Anyway he came over and invited us for a drink , JW Black label. His brother was there too and he must of had most on the JW as he was well refreshed , just after midnight ( NY eve ) the chap was helped into his pickup , the vehicle leaped back until plod found neutral for him , on leaving he brushed our wall opposite . Never found out if he got home , but what a disgrace

more on the part of the host.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:32 AM, happy chappie said:

Try 900,000 tags..there was a head on scooter and pick up right outside the bar I was sat in last night.no lights and driver pissed up.feeble effort of any sort of punishment.ive driven around for 10 years without a Thai license so what does it matter.anyway here comes the carnage and dodgy numbers on road accidents and road kills.oh and the standard pics of officials patting each other on their backs at the end of death week.

not having a go, but how can you complain about anything if you have been driving around for 10 year without a thai licence? and why would you do that? it is really easy to get a licence. care to reply?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ericnoodeeka said:

not having a go, but how can you complain about anything if you have been driving around for 10 year without a thai licence? and why would you do that? it is really easy to get a licence. care to reply?

When in Rome do as the romans do.ive finally got my yellow book so it looks like I'm up for the test in the new year.oh and for 6 years I didn't know I had to have one even though the insurance company kept taking my annual premium using my uk license.

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 2:23 AM, Chippy151 said:

313 found to be drinking and driving in the whole country. I don't think the police were trying very hard.

Also, I'd love to know if any of the 9 drivers strapped with ankle monitors drove an expensive car or were higher up the social ladder.

No chance!

I have never seen the police stop or check anyone driving a luxury car.

Yes, I don't understand that. Why only 9 given such harsh treatment? What was different about their offences.

The figure of 313 I can understand. Probably caught thousands but only 313 were unable to pay at the roadside.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I spot a trick here... the one who used a taxi was a taxi driver, yes?

No he was a chinese, maybe that's why...he speaks fluent thai though.

There were 2 other chinese as well but they have their own private driver, every single day...he stayed in the car for 5 hours..

On 12/29/2018 at 7:09 PM, digger70 said:

Stupid idea they can still drink and drive pot the drunken sods in jail.

No they can't , if it's the same system as in many other countries, an alarm will go off if they leave the house and someone will come and get them. The built in GPS will make sure of that.  

Edited by balo

44 minutes ago, balo said:

No they can't , if it's the same system as in many other countries, an alarm will go off if they leave the house and someone will come and get them. The built in GPS will make sure of that.  

Although if it's running on Thai time, it may not be for a week or two.

• Haha 1

Aren't the tags GPS styled to mean they have curfews life at home?

Go out and they go off?if not than they are not monitors at all! 

Maybe they are bluetooth? And if so would be great to detect someone who drives themselves into a Checkpoint 

On 12/29/2018 at 7:45 PM, Cake Monster said:

Is it any wonder these morons continue to drink drive and flaunt every law in the land whilst driving.

What a hardship these nine have to suffer for their intent to commit murder.

555. "intent to commit murder". Hilarious. Some of you guys are just on another planet.

So where do you stand on the penalties of serious assault in thailand. I have seen guys get the <deleted> beaten out of them and the assailant cops a 400 baht fine