UK's Royal Mail sorry for D-Day landings stamp blunder

rooster59

UK's Royal Mail sorry for D-Day landings stamp blunder

800x800 (3).jpg

Royal Mail vans are parked in the Leytonstone post office depot in London, Britain early July 6, 2017. REUTERS/Russell Boyce/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Royal Mail apologised on Friday after historians pointed out that a stamp design it planned to issue to commemorate the D-Day landings in France in fact showed U.S. troops going ashore thousands of miles away weeks earlier.

The stamp, part of a series of 11 to mark the 75th anniversary of the June 1944 landings, was part of a special programme for 2019 to showcase the "Best of British".

"The stamp issue will be a timely commemoration of all those who participated and will use images from the day itself," the Royal Mail said before the blunder was revealed.

However, after a preview of the stamp was put on the Royal Mail's Twitter feed, historians and others noticed that it actually showed U.S. troops wading ashore in May 1944 in Dutch New Guinea, now Indonesia, from a landing craft that was not involved in the D-Day landings.

"We sincerely apologise that our 2019 Special Stamp preview included a design which had been incorrectly associated with the D-Day landings," Royal Mail said on Twitter.

"This stamp design has not been printed. We would like to reassure our customers that this image will not be part of the final set."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-12-29

51 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

I notice on the main page there's a photo of a phone box, which Royal Mail said was "the K2, also known as the iconic red telephone box".

The "iconic' phone box was the K6, not the K2. Another boo-boo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

Reminds me of when the Sydney Olympics gave out gold medals with the Italian  Rome Colosseum embedded on them  to denote the origins of the Olympics .....from Athens in Greece

The origins of the Olympics are that in ancient times they were held in Olympia, in the region of Elis, about 260 kms from Athens, which is in Attica.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Enoon said:

The origins of the Olympics are that in ancient times they were held in Olympia, in the region of Elis, about 260 kms from Athens, which is in Attica.

so not Blackpool then. As for the stamp, who cares, it's a landing craft, it's the thought that counts

9 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

so not Blackpool then. As for the stamp, who cares, it's a landing craft, it's the thought that counts

Actually Al it is the lack of thinking which is the problem. 

Whoever was responsible failed to check the person who did the work, and I have no doubt that at least 4 layers of management were involved, all of whom are incompetent.

All they had to do in the first place was to do a simple Google search, either on the RN historical website, any site referring to the D-Day invasion, any of the Army regimental units that were involved.

I did a simple Google search "photos of infantry landing craft used on D-Day invasion".

result 

About 9,740,000 results (0.82 seconds)

It ain't rocket science and if it was you can Google that too.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A non story!!

Let's review,

they previewed the stamp on twitter before it was issued, the error was caught, an apology was issued. the problem is being fixed. 

OK, let's change the headline from 'UK's Royal Mail sorry for D-Day landings stamp blunder', to 'UK's Royal Mail gets customers to do its proofreading and check errors as it is incapable of doing it'

Maybe I should them a bill for my error checking on their twitter page regarding my earlier post, mentioning there's a photo of a phone box, which Royal Mail said was, "the K2, also known as the iconic red telephone box, was introduced in 1926".

The 'iconic' phone box was the K6, not the K2. The photo is correct however, it is a K2 as mentioned.

image.png.07796a0e0f0942d90d5e94694100d3f9.png   image.png.a58c66de8a02641760dd6042b5d181b6.png   image.png.8bd735031ab775c3c40c4efd287d0dac.png

Royal Mail Twitter image                    K2 (1927)                        K6 (1936)

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

OK, let's change the headline from 'UK's Royal Mail sorry for D-Day landings stamp blunder', to 'UK's Royal Mail gets customers to do its proofreading and check errors as it is incapable of doing it'

Maybe I should them a bill for my error checking on their twitter page regarding my earlier post, mentioning there's a photo of a phone box, which Royal Mail said was, "the K2, also known as the iconic red telephone box, was introduced in 1926".

The 'iconic' phone box was the K6, not the K2. The photo is correct however, it is a K2 as mentioned.

image.png.07796a0e0f0942d90d5e94694100d3f9.png   image.png.a58c66de8a02641760dd6042b5d181b6.png   image.png.8bd735031ab775c3c40c4efd287d0dac.png

Royal Mail Twitter image                    K2 (1927)                        K6 (1936)

Sure . they should have caught the mistake  themselves , and that's why they apologised. If they had caught the mistake  themselves it would had being even more a none story that IMO it already is.

As far as the telephone booths are concerned, any fool can clearly see that the one in the first picture is not red!

Anyone who knows anything, knows  that you can not time travel in a monochromatic telephone booth. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

A non story!!

Let's review,

they previewed the stamp on twitter before it was issued, the error was caught, an apology was issued. the problem is being fixed. 

Yes, but the wit unleashed here is top-notch.

Dresden... priceless!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

Sure . they should have caught the mistake  themselves , and that's why they apologised. If they had caught the mistake  themselves it would had being even more a none story that IMO it already is.

As far as the telephone booths are concerned, any fool can clearly see that the one in the first picture is not red!

Anyone who knows anything, knows  that you can not time travel in a monochromatic telephone booth. 

Ha ha! What about pre-1968, before Dr Who was in colour? It seemed work OK then!

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

Actually Al it is the lack of thinking which is the problem. 

Whoever was responsible failed to check the person who did the work, and I have no doubt that at least 4 layers of management were involved, all of whom are incompetent.

All they had to do in the first place was to do a simple Google search, either on the RN historical website, any site referring to the D-Day invasion, any of the Army regimental units that were involved.

I did a simple Google search "photos of infantry landing craft used on D-Day invasion".

result 

About 9,740,000 results (0.82 seconds)

It ain't rocket science and if it was you can Google that too.

Which is EXACTLY what one dim-bulb, generation-x'er intern at the agency retained by HMPO to create these commemorative stamps did because he wanted to leave the office early. Probably thinks the Nazi swastika is a cool Hindu emblem of prosperity and good luck too.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, sirineou said:

And here's a K6 caught in the wild in South Pattaya.

Since you brought up time-travel, have you been inside this one?

PS. You're among friends here so you can be honest. The wife will never know.

1882736037_letelephone.jpg.5b92ab28487060ab6310b01ce21c4112.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

The Tardis is (was?) a Police Public Call Box. It was (is?) black, even on a colour TV.

Do I win an anorak?

The police boxes were dark blue. Was the Dr Who tardis black for some reason, I'm sure it wasn't?

btw, I'll out-anorak you with this: Tardis, it's an acronym: Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

Ha ha! What about pre-1968, before Dr Who was in colour? It seemed work OK then!

I

That's because he had traveled there from the future with a red  telephone booth.

By the way the show was never B&W , it is a well known that pre-1968 the world suffered from a color blindness condition causing them to see TV and movies B&W,

Good drugs changed all that, in fact it all started in 1939. You can see it happening while watching the Wizard OF OZ . WW2 disrupted the recovery until the late 60s when the leadership of Timothy Leary started and accelerated the process. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sirineou said:

I

That's because he had traveled there from the future with a red  telephone booth.

By the way the show was never B&W , it is a well known that pre-1968 the world suffered from a color blindness condition causing them to see TV and movies B&W,

Good drugs changed all that, in fact it all started in 1939. You can see it happening while watching the Wizard OF OZ . WW2 disrupted the recovery until the late 60s when the leadership of Timothy Leary started and accelerated the process. 

From that minimally enlightening discourse, I surmise that you indeed have never been inside South Pattaya's K6.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

The police boxes were dark blue. Was the Dr Who tardis black for some reason, I'm sure it wasn't?

btw, I'll out-anorak you with this: Tardis, it's an acronym: Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

Wrong!!

Time Adjusting Red Device In Space

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

And here's a K6 caught in the wild in South Pattaya.

Since you brought up time-travel, have you been inside this one?

PS. You're among friends here so you can be honest. The wife will never know.

1882736037_letelephone.jpg.5b92ab28487060ab6310b01ce21c4112.jpg

Ha ha, but sorry, that's not a real BT phone kiosk!

The K6 had 24  (8x3) panes of glass per door, the K2 had 18 (6x3), but just looking at it, it's not the real macoy.

Btw, a K6 weighs 15 cwt (three quarters of an imperial ton)

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

You are correct, of course, the Tardis is dark blue. I said it was black in order to make the monochrome-v-colour TV joke work (I use the term "joke" in its loosest sense).

Police boxes came in a variety of colours.

The anorak award is well deserved.????