WHEN TO USE RE ENTRY PERMITS

Hi Guys,

I am a bit unsecure how it really works with Re Entry Permit.. I understand the thing with it when it comes to the yearly extensions. It protects my extension from being used and cancelled out when leaving Thailand.

BUT, when it comes i.e. for Tourist_VISA single entry and/or Non Immigrant "O" single entry, is it usefull to have a re entry permit in that situation or is it just that I have used the one and single entry I got when I arrived to Thailand??

Plse enlighten me, I am grateful for any input.

glegolo

A re-entry is issued to keep a existing permit to stay valid when used to enter the country.

A re-entry permit can be obtained for 60 day entry from tourist visa or the 90 days a non immigrant visa to keep the remainder of the entry valid when using it to enter the country.

It can be useful to have a re-entry permit to protect any permission to stay in Thailand, depending on the situation. It could even be worthwhile with a visa exempt entry. Some questions to answer are:

• Could there be problems travelling to Thailand and entering the country if you did not have a re-entry permit?
  • Do you want to apply for an extension of your permission to stay on your return where it is important that a non immigrant entry be preserved to make this possible?
  • Would it be better to apply for a new visa before coming back to Thailand, rather than getting a re-entry permit?

Regardless of whether you entered Visa exempt, SE Tourist Visa, SE Non Imm O, or have an extension, you will have been given permission to stay for either 30,60, 90 or 365 days.

If you want to exit/re-enter Thailand during any of those periods of permitted stay and keep any remaining permission to stay valid you need a re-entry permit.

Example, if you entered on a SE Non Imm O on 1st March and given permission to stay until May 29th, but wanted to make multiple trips to adjoining Countries. If you purchased a multi re-entry permit, on each re-entry into Thailand you will be stamped again with permission to stay until May 29th.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

Now im confused. I went to HK  last month, 3 days for no real reason, flew out,flew in on marry extension, no one said anything about visa re entry, was i lucky, id like to be sure next time.?. This is not the first time , im not very carefull about these things!!.

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Regardless of whether you entered Visa exempt, SE Tourist Visa, SE Non Imm O, or have an extension, you will have been given permission to stay for either 30,60, 90 or 365 days.

If you want to exit/re-enter Thailand during any of those periods of permitted stay and keep any remaining permission to stay valid you need a re-entry permit.

Example, if you entered on a SE Non Imm O on 1st March and given permission to stay until May 29th, but wanted to make multiple trips to adjoining Countries. If you purchased a multi re-entry permit, on each re-entry into Thailand you will be stamped again with permission to stay until May 29th.

Great explanation for me, thank you so much..

glegolo

5 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Now im confused. I went to HK  last month, 3 days for no real reason, flew out,flew in on marry extension, no one said anything about visa re entry, was i lucky, id like to be sure next time.?. This is not the first time , im not very carefull about these things!!.

What did they stamp in your passport when you entered into Thailand.

That is your permission to stay.

6 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

If you didn´t have a re entry permit then I am 110% sure you were EXTREMELY lucky if your extension weren´t cancelled.  

Have you checked your passport really......?? It should have been cancelled for sure..

glegolo

19 minutes ago, glegolo said:

If you didn´t have a re entry permit then I am 110% sure you were EXTREMELY lucky if your extension weren´t cancelled.  

Have you checked your passport really......?? It should have been cancelled for sure..

In reality the extension would not be canceled. It would just become invalid since a new permit to stay date would be stamped in his passport. Which would likely be a 30 day visa exempt entry.

38 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

You probably got a 30 day visa exempt when you came back and are no longer on the marriage extension. So you will be on overstay soon if you don't leave the country or extend it. Check the latest stamp that you got from immigration when you entered the country

Edited by jackdd

41 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Or you used an agent for your extension, who may have obtained a ME re-entry permit without your knowledge, OR

You have a ME Non Imm O Visa obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate, which is a Visa, not an extension, OR

As already suggested you received a 30 day Visa exempt stamp and are now on overstay.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

In reality the extension would not be canceled. It would just become invalid since a new permit to stay date would be stamped in his passport. Which would likely be a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Joe, you are just splitting hairs now, and you know it as well.... The yearly extension is as dead as it can be and REPLACED by a 30 day excempt-stamp.

glegolo

35 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Joe, you are just splitting hairs now, and you know it as well.... The yearly extension is as dead as it can be and REPLACED by a 30 day excempt-stamp.

Cancelled implies that the extension stamp would be stamped as canceled.

2 hours ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Did 90 day report in Dec, not even a comment about anything. Collected papers for 1 year marry extension same time .27 years of same same, just seems pointless now, 90 days even worse.

90 day reporting should have been done 90 days after your HK trip, what date is in your entry stamp from that trip?

2 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

90 day reporting should have been done 90 days after your HK trip, what date is in your entry stamp from that trip?

90 days after i came back then i suppose my Wife looks after such things, left to me they can chuck me out. Topic just caught my eye this morning.Just thought its a big fuss over nothing if you are retired/married and not a bouncer.

14 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

90 days after i came back then i suppose my Wife looks after such things, left to me they can chuck me out. Topic just caught my eye this morning.Just thought its a big fuss over nothing if you are retired/married and not a bouncer.

Check your entry stamp, if you get over 90 days overstay even though you are married you will be deported blacklisted.

7 minutes ago, kevin612 said:

i have a 6 months multiple entry tourist visa, when i finish 60 days plus the 30 days extension, do i need a reentry permit to come back due to must leave the country?thank you

You do not need a re-entry permit if you have a multiple entry visa. You can leave and re-enter the country as many times as you want to up to the date your visa expires.