Anupong pledges better road safety measures

webfact

Anupong pledges better road safety measures

By The Nation

3e96d2dedca0c21033a656d8ed71e86c.jpeg

The number of road fatalities is lower so far during this year’s New Year holidays, but drunk driving and speeding remain the key contributing factors in crashes, accounting for most of the arrests made, Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda told reporters at Government House on Wednesday.

He said further measures would be discussed to reduce the loss of life stemming from these factors, and more analysis would be done on the most accident-prone highways and secondary roads and time periods. 

“Agencies would then have to assess whether the new measures are sufficient to lower the death toll or whether even more measures are needed, such as promoting driver discipline or introducing harsher punishments,” General Anupong said.

“We have to assess the effectiveness of the measures one by one. I will try to do this as fast as possible so that we will be better prepared to handle the type of accidents that cause the most deaths year-round, not just in festive times.”

Anupong made the remarks before the Road Safety Centre had issued its report on the sixth of the so-called “seven dangerous days” of the New Year holidays.

Early on Wednesday, two people were killed and 14 others were injured when two pickup trucks collided in Muang Yasothon. 

Pol Captain Prasert Lasak led police, rescue workers and soldiers to the scene on Chaeng Sanit Road in Tambon Du Thung after the report came in at 1.25am. 

The driver of a white Chevrolet pickup, seriously injured and still trapped in the wreckage, had to be extricated with a mechanical device so he could be sent to Yasothon Hospital. He died on the way. His name has not been released.

The driver of the Mitsubishi pickup truck it stuck was also still inside the vehicle. She was identified as Panyakuan Lajit.

The body of a five-year-old boy was lying on the ground between the trucks. 

Thirteen passengers were taken to hospital.

Yasothon-based senior military officer Colonel Chakatpong Hongthong, who witnessed the crash as he was driving home behind the Chevrolet, said the Mitsubishi suddenly crossed over from the oncoming lane. 

Police expect charges to be filed.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30361463

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-02

Anupong why you spouting sh++e?

No way can you or any other government lacky fix this major problem.

Every year it is getting worse, nobody gives a toss about what you say, Somchai will carry on drinking regardless.

He is just waitng for Songkran for his next BIG pissup.

2 hours ago, SkyNets said:

I don't see the problem, all 7 drunk drivers in Thailand have been tagged!

Not according to the authorities.

In addition 66 people had been tagged nationwide with the EM or electronic monitoring devices. 

Passed about 12 check stations on the way to and from, from Udon Thani yesterday. Round trip 180km.

No police presence or vehicle checking.

Seemed to be a social occasion for Thais and just a few police or military.

No one was checking for drunk driving or other problems.

Also didn't see any police on the road looking for traffic violations.

Just the normal non action it seems.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He said further measures would be discussed
more analysis would be done
Agencies would then have to assess
We have to assess the effectiveness of the measures one by one.
I will try to do this as fast as possible

Thailand, the new hub of paralysis by analysis.....  :burp:

Driving in Rayong this week, a road block in the inside lane and the other 2 lanes conned off.  Moved to enter the road block and was pulled over for manoeuvring dangerously to enter the road block.  I was doing around 5 mph and was let in by the driver behind me.  I just laughed at them with incredulity and they let me pass.  The police in LOS are an absolute joke and a national disgrace. 

The Conundrum: How do you stop speeding vehicles when you have no police patrol cars on Thai roads?

Answer: You don't.  You fine them after they have caused an accident, or, you send them a ticket from a stationary roadside radar trap (that all the locals know about) and then they throw the ticket into the trash can because there is no effective enforcement of unpaid tickets either.  Which is why nothing ever changes nor will it in the future. 

Khun Anupong or his cohorts will roll out the same remarks during Songkran, then New Years 2019-2020 - wash, rinse, repeat ad-infinitum.

2 hours ago, seajae said:

seriously it is not hard, get the police to enforce the road rules and go out on the roads to do it, cant stop this sitting in tents or an office

Sorry Seajae, but THAT is the hard part, getting the BIBs off their <deleted>. Can I say bottoms then?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Early on Wednesday, two people were killed and 14 others were injured when two pickup trucks collided in Muang Yasothon

Tells you all you need to know .. And weren't they outlawing the riding in the back of pickup trucks .. 

"The Emperor's New Clothes" (Danish: Kejserens nye klæder) is a short tale written by Danish author Hans Christian Andersen, about two weavers who promise an emperor a new suit of clothes that they say is invisible to those who are unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent – while in reality, they make no clothes at all, making everyone believe the clothes are invisible to them. When the emperor parades before his subjects in his new "clothes", no one dares to say that they do not see any suit of clothes on him for fear that they will be seen as stupid. Finally, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!" 

Reminds me of this short tale.

There has to be people other than non-thais who can see that this pledge contains no substance.

Now in a culture where 'saving face' is so much more important, how come nobody in the entourage dares to tell the truth. How come.

And even more odd, how come anyone would dare voice such a pledge. Not caring about saving face, or knowing that there are no children around to tell the truth, or caring more about not making any changes at all. Must be a reason....

All these years of carnage and they are still 'assessing' the situation and so called 'safety measures' one by one to see if they work !   The dimmest Human on Planet Earth could tell them in seconds that nothing will ever work owing to the 'attitude problem' of Thai people in general...they are a lost cause.

Apart from the huge outcry from the Thais they could easily  solve it, unmarked  cars could  stop all tailgaters  immediately, it  would take them 2  seconds to catch them just by driving in in any lane on any road, 1  warning next time car taken away and if  u repeat without caring car taken and sold or crushed.

All U turns where BOTH  carriageways can U  turn in the same place should  be closed for one of the directions  as an easy measure, the reason is your visibility is 100%  blocked by other U turners on the other  carriageway, they could be staggered 1  km apart would be  and easy fix for an appalling layout anyway.

Speeding  will be targeted wrongly in my opinion, its  pure  lack of  attention and stupidity/selfishness that are to blame but theyll roll out the old "speeding" bs for sure.

Selfishness, witness any Thai who cant wait and will jump the queue at traffic  lights when turning right , if theres  a long queue they just drive down the "straight on"lane and then cut  over at the junction................I mean theres  a police  box at every <deleted> junction, how hard can it be for Plod??

These minor  things would make a huge  difference but you know  what..................Thais wont accept any of this.

4 minutes ago, Nong Khai Man said:

And weren't they outlawing the riding in the back of pickup trucks .. They were supposed to have " Laid Down the Law Last year " They Never heard it in & Around Nong Khai,I've seen Hundreds of pick ups here With half of the Village in the back of some !!!

They backed  down after uproar from.......................the Thais

7 hours ago, webfact said:

I will try to do this as fast as possible so that we will be better prepared to handle the type of accidents that cause the most deaths 

For a few hundred people, this is too late. 

Archived