Health insurance for retirees

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa allows unlimited one year entries for a year from the date of issue. By getting a new one year entry just before it expires you can get almost 2 years of total stay from it.

I understand can only get it from home country. What is the cost? 

48 minutes ago, farangx said:

I can't see that happening.  Most retirees here are visitors for 12 months.  And 12 months is just temporary or short term.  A travel insurance that can cover a whole year would make better sense.

There are plenty of travel policies that will cover up to a full year.

But they are TRAVL policies and will not cover you if living long term abroad. You would need to still have a home in your home country and spend time there periodically. And, of course, be prepared to go back there for medical care at any time. travel insurance does nto guarantee to pay for treatment in the country you are "visiting", it has the option of instead paying to send you back home (where you are required to have  health cover). It also pays only for emergency things, nto elective procedures so cannot claim for cataracts, joint replacements, hernia repairs and the like. So it is a workable solution only for those who truly have homes back West to return to, access to health care there, and are easily able to go back there for  medical care. For those for whom all this applies, a good travel policy is workable and affordable as protection against unexpected emergency medical costs while in Thailand.

1 hour ago, davhend25 said:

Thanks, ubonjoe...I couldn't seem to find an answer for this anywhere. Seemed like a simple enough question, but multiple "Google" searches just turned up more confusing answers. Thanks! DH

I don't know where you are from but the description given on the Thai Embassy London Website is quite good.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There are plenty of travel policies that will cover up to a full year.

But they are TRAVL policies and will not cover you if living long term abroad. You would need to still have a home in your home country and spend time there periodically. And, of course, be prepared to go back there for medical care at any time. travel insurance does nto guarantee to pay for treatment in the country you are "visiting", it has the option of instead paying to send you back home (where you are required to have  health cover). It also pays only for emergency things, nto elective procedures so cannot claim for cataracts, joint replacements, hernia repairs and the like. So it is a workable solution only for those who truly have homes back West to return to, access to health care there, and are easily able to go back there for  medical care. For those for whom all this applies, a good travel policy is workable and affordable as protection against unexpected emergency medical costs while in Thailand.

But, if you are out of UK for more than 180 days, you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you must pay 150% of the cost. (Unless you arrive by rubber dinghy). Most Travel Policies only cover up to any 31 consecutive days.

Edited by wgdanson

32 minutes ago, madmen said:

Depends on where you apply.

UK its 125 GBP

MIne was done in the UAE 700 AED. 150 GBP.

The 12 month Non O&A multi entry works well for me.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

But, if you are out of UK for more than 180 days, you are not entitled to free NHS treatment, you must pay 150% of the cost. (Unless you arrive by rubber dinghy). Most Travel Policies only cover up to any 31 consecutive days.

I can't answer to the first part, though  from what I hear, something of the kind is true, exception being if you have returned with intention to remain back there indefinitely.

But the second part definitely is not true. It is a rare travel policy that has such a short limitation, many many trips exceed 31 days. And there are a number of policies that will insure for up to a full 365 days.

For those TV members who spend only part year in Thailand (or are here just temporarily, expecting to return after no more than a year)  travel policies are certainly worth considering as a less expensive alternative to full health insurance.

• Thanks 1

UK its 125 GBP

Thanks I'm oz. Any other requirements eg bank records etc. And you can extend it in Thailand?

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

But the second part definitely is not true. It is a rare travel policy that has such a short limitation, many many trips exceed 31 days. And there are a number of policies that will insure for up to a full 365 days.

I am not sure if there are travel insurance that covers the full 365 days, if so it will be good.  I had annual travel insurance in the past but they only cover up to 60 days per trip.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 7:33 AM, ubonjoe said:

A OA visa can only be applied for at a embassy or official consulate in your home country if you are 50 or over. Extension of stay are applied for at immigration here.

Joe, I'm currently on a 5 year privilege elite visa. When it finishes I'd like to get a visa based on marriage to a Thai. Will I absolutely have to return to UK to get this?

Thanks

6 minutes ago, dode57k said:

Joe, I'm currently on a 5 year privilege elite visa. When it finishes I'd like to get a visa based on marriage to a Thai. Will I absolutely have to return to UK to get this?

Thanks

No, you can go to a nearby country for a Non-O, various options, single or multiple entry.

But Yes, if you want a Non-OA, they are only from your home country (UK) or country of residence, as you residence country is Thailand you can not get it here.

I am not sure if there are travel insurance that covers the full 365 days, if so it will be good.  I had annual travel insurance in the past but they only cover up to 60 days per trip.

The best annual travel insurance I've seen is 90 consecutive days. Backpacker insurance up to 18 months is available but there is usually an age cut off, around 49

1 hour ago, madmen said:

It costs the same 5000 baht fee as other multiple entry non immigrant visas. But it will be in the currency of your home country converted from baht.

Requirements are here. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4908/15385-Non-Immigrant-Visa-"O-A"-(Long-Stay).html

Ignore the incorrect part at the bottom of the page that says you can apply for it at immigration.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:
1 hour ago, Snow Leopard said:

UK its 125 GBP

Thanks I'm oz. Any other requirements eg bank records etc. And you can extend it in Thailand?

You need proof of income or money (800K) in an account for more than 3 months or the combo. 

You still need to do your 90-day reports whilst in Thailand. If you stay for more than 90 days.

Everytime you leave and come back you get 12 a month stay up until your visa expires. 

I take  out travel ins, can take it for up to a year, BUt, it expires if I return to Oz during that time. As I go back a few times a year to monitor my multiple corporations I run, I take it out for 4 or 5 months at a time, if decide to stay here for longer, I extent the ins . Extension must be done before the policy expires. Doubt if this will satisfy IO unless t is for the full12 months. Flight Centre, Covermore Ins.