Health insurance for expats over 65 in Thailand?

JTXR

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sitting at the hospital and wondering about coverage called the local agent and she advised how to proceed as she was familiar with the hospital and doctors because she was local.  It was good luck that she was local.

Don't confuse local insurance with local broker. You can have an international policy purchased through a local broker.

For that matter some international insurers have offices in Thailand.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Pacific Cross was one of the best coverages I had while in Hong Kong. But I don't know if they are the same as Thailand.

Going with a broker offer some advantages: like comparing apples and oranges, being in the middle in case of disputes, and does not cost any extra to you!

Having said that, we are on Aetna (Bupa) from arrival to Thailand, no claims so no issues until now. Directly, no brokers.

I would like to add up now the unexpensive  insurance for expats from Bangkok Insurance Brokers in Phuket. Getting ready for the day Aetna will stop covering....all of them do, if you get some long-term condition. Also Keep in mind that one should use public hospitals as much as possible, and learn how to navigate the system inside there. 

Private hospitals are simply too expensive.

On 7/6/2019 at 9:08 AM, Sheryl said:

Don't confuse local insurance with local broker. You can have an international policy purchased through a local broker.

For that matter some international insurers have offices in Thailand.

I had A1A and the hospital was in Rayong.  Although now an agent handling Pacific Cross is telling me the tests for application are 8000 baht and another poster is saying 2100.  

Physician Examination.pdf

I had A1A and the hospital was in Rayong.  Although now an agent handling Pacific Cross is telling me the tests for application are 8000 baht and another poster is saying 2100.  
Physician Examination.pdf
The cost will depend on what hospital you have it done at. From what I see in their form 8000 at least if done at a private hospital. That 2100 quote was for a government hospital upcountry.

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The cost will depend on what hospital you have it done at. From what I see in their form 8000 at least if done at a private hospital. That 2100 quote was for a government hospital upcountry.

Thanks I was feeling dumber than usual but I really don't want to go to a government hospital unless necessary - been there done that.  

I am in the process of applying for a Premier Policy with Pacific Cross, and yes, I am the poster who got blood tests done at a Govt Hospital for Bht 2100.

However on reading the Remarks on the very brief brochure, be aware that in clauses 8 & 9 regarding Emergency Evacuation, 8 says that you must be resident for 6 months each year, 9 says that the Evacuation can only be claimed if you are over 150 km from your home for less than 90 days. Confusing to say the least. It will NOT pay to take you back to your country of origin in the event of a Medical Emergency.

There is a FIVE YEAR waiting period before any implants will be covered. Clause 10.

And where it gives the discounts available, 20% for no Outpatient and then a further 25% for 40k excess. The 25% is off the already discounted premium so really only a further 20%.

I am in the process of applying for a Premier Policy with Pacific Cross, and yes, I am the poster who got blood tests done at a Govt Hospital for Bht 2100.
However on reading the Remarks on the very brief brochure, be aware that in clauses 8 & 9 regarding Emergency Evacuation, 8 says that you must be resident for 6 months each year, 9 says that the Evacuation can only be claimed if you are over 150 km from your home for less than 90 days. Confusing to say the least. It will NOT pay to take you back to your country of origin in the event of a Medical Emergency.
There is a FIVE YEAR waiting period before any implants will be covered. Clause 10.
And where it gives the discounts available, 20% for no Outpatient and then a further 25% for 40k excess. The 25% is off the already discounted premium so really only a further 20%.
Did you consider April Thailand or April International?

Just now, scubascuba3 said:
1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Did you consider April Thailand or April International?

Yes, but did not get very far on their website. I shall try again. It is recommended by Sheryl.

On 3/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, simon43 said:

That seems rather unfair.  Surely they should pay the amount for a semi-private room at least.

what is a semi-private room....surely one uses a ward or private room..and if one chooses a private room MUST have someone to stay with one.....??

15 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, but did not get very far on their website. I shall try again. It is recommended by Sheryl.

Yes April International (not Thai) and Cigna are ones of the best in my Opinion. I am with Cigna. I only was with Pacific Cross the first year. 

AA Insurance will send you the forms to complete, by default they sent you the April Thailand ones but will send you the International France ones when you ask.
With April Thailand i found their pre existing exclusions a bit vague and go back much longer "have you ever" rather than say "in the last 5 years"

Just now, marcusarelus said:

Do you also mean x ray, stool, urine and ecg.

Yep, the whole lot incl PSA, except Hep A and CRP for which I had to go to the private hospital where just those two tests cost me Bht 2200. But even so, all tests were Bht 4300.

OK, a bit of hanging around at the Govt hospital, but I have plenty of time to save money !

At Govt place, ECG was Bht 200, x-ray 220, stool test Bht 30 !, Hep B was most expensive at 480.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Yep, the whole lot incl PSA, except Hep A and CRP for which I had to go to the private hospital where just those two tests cost me Bht 2200. But even so, all tests were Bht 4300.

OK, a bit of hanging around at the Govt hospital, but I have plenty of time to save money !

At Govt place, ECG was Bht 200, x-ray 220, stool test Bht 30 !, Hep B was most expensive at 480.

Actual comparison would be 4300 for you and 5900 BDMS.  

On 7/4/2019 at 8:34 AM, Sheryl said:

Not sure re Pacific Cross but Cigna and April both offer deductible options which lower premiums.

Just had quotes from Cigna. For me at 71 yrs old.

£2700 with £2000 xs = £4700 in the event of a claim. 

£2900 with £1000 xs = £3900 if claimed. 

£3131 with NO XS. I know which I am going for.

Pac Cross want Bht 65000 with Bht 40000 xs = Bht 105000 = £2736 if claimed, but they exclude too many things. So for £400 more, full cover from Cigna.

On 7/13/2019 at 9:56 AM, scubascuba3 said:

AA Insurance will send you the forms to complete, by default they sent you the April Thailand ones but will send you the International France ones when you ask.
With April Thailand i found their pre existing exclusions a bit vague and go back much longer "have you ever" rather than say "in the last 5 years"

Definitely specify April International (France) not the Thailand policy.

Better terms/protections (falls under French insurance laws) and still have the advantages of the Thailand office handling the claims.

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Better terms/protections (falls under French insurance laws) and still have the advantages of the Thailand office handling the claims.

Do you know if they have an age cut off for the French application?

I was just looking at the Pacific Cross application form.  I noted that it is a PDF which does not allow typed entries.  It has to be printed out and filled in by hand.  It is fairly easy to create a PDF with fields to enter information.

That tells me something about the company, but I'm not sure what......

The advantage of the Thailand policy is it's much cheaper, so if someone has no pre existing it may be the best option. It also has up to USD10k Deductible which brings the premium to low levels. A big disadvantage is their pre existing conditions in some cases go back to birth..

It is not much cheaper. Premiun costs are nearly the same but for a much lower level of cover.

International pkan also offers deductibles.

For my age 49, 16m baht cover, with max USD10,000 deductible, with April Thailand the premium is 15,000 baht a year.

With April Intl France, max Euro 5,000 deductible, premium is 40,500 baht.

So 25,500 baht / 62% cheaper annually. How do you get "not much cheaper"?

I was compating rates with no deductible.

There is no $10,000 a year deductible option for the international plan so if that is what you want, you'd have to go with the Thai plan

The premium you wuote for a $5000 deductible on the intl pkan seems high though. What zone of cover is that for?

Archived