pulled muscles in back

kannot

not  sure  how  this  happened  but ive  pulled  some  muscles  in  my   back, its  freaking  agony on  the  bed  3  days  now, whats  recommended,  did  this  once  before  in  my  neck  an  apart  from  painkillers  and  anti inflammatory  drugs   nothing  else  could be  done, is  it  just  a waiting  game? 

Ice packs, compression and rest should probably be the first and most important thing.... the aim is to reduce swelling to allow quicker healing... the sooner the ice the better. (Although after three days I’m not sure of the efficacy of this)

compression might be hard in this climate, but strapping an ice pack in place might give a little compression, although I’d probably swallow some painkillers (and anti inflammatories) and try to lie on the ice pack for the compression effect. (Or as Mrs farc would say... throw some fat on it????)

a day or two of rest is the go.... up to a week.... then slowly start stretching exercises.... lol... and stay the hell away from the thai massage girls, although if you know of a sports massage person with real cred, that might be worth considering.

if possible, (pain permitting) a decent doctor should be consulted.... my last back injury was actually a torn ligament.... ergo I try not to self diagnose to much.

Good luck.

59 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Ice packs, compression and rest should probably be the first and most important thing.... the aim is to reduce swelling to allow quicker healing... the sooner the ice the better. (Although after three days I’m not sure of the efficacy of this)

compression might be hard in this climate, but strapping an ice pack in place might give a little compression, although I’d probably swallow some painkillers (and anti inflammatories) and try to lie on the ice pack for the compression effect. (Or as Mrs farc would say... throw some fat on it????)

a day or two of rest is the go.... up to a week.... then slowly start stretching exercises.... lol... and stay the hell away from the thai massage girls, although if you know of a sports massage person with real cred, that might be worth considering.

if possible, (pain permitting) a decent doctor should be consulted.... my last back injury was actually a torn ligament.... ergo I try not to self diagnose to much.

Good luck.

thanks will give it a few more days an see how it goes

1 hour ago, kannot said:

how did u  do  it  as  cant  think  of  anything  ive  done?

Lol... stupidity.

i was actually in a work harness and was over reaching, stretching against the restraint to get a couple of extra inches.... (those extra inches are always important, as most of us know)... in an attempt to install a large shackle on a load. So... both dumb and unusual.

as for you, it probably wasn’t something dumb (or you would probably remember), so it could have been something as simple as twisting too quickly, Perhaps when already in motion... and therefore not noticed because you were already “warm”, so the pain itself didn’t manifest until swelling occurred hours later (Or the following morning?)

the back is a really sensitive area, prone to injury, especially after a lifetime of abuse.... “they” talk about core abdominal strength as the best defense against back damage, but in my case, unfortunately, it’s been quite awhile since my abs displayed any real strength

i have a Velcro fastening back support deal that I can wrap around my waist, securing it fairly tightly in front (like a corset, but Velcro vs lace).... it provides support and reduces the strain on my lower back whilst minimizeing further aggravation, (although it’s not that comfortable to wear in warm weather.). I highly recommend it whilst recovering, especially if you need to be moving about before you are properly recovered. (It’s largely concealed under a baggy shirt)

and something to remember... if using pain meds (lol... which I highly recommend) do bear in mind that they mask the symptoms vs cure the problem, so don’t fall for the old trap of thinking your good to go, as the pain is gone.... that will only lead to more misery and a longer recovery, although I’m sure your aware of that.

i hope you feel better on the morrow, and also that others, perhaps with clinical knowledge, see your OP, and chime in... but rest up till then.

Hopefully you don't have any pain or numbness in the buttock, going down the leg or into the foot. 

I also use diclofenac. But if you go to the local pharmacy just buy the Thai brand. It's way cheaper than voltaren.  100 to 200 mg a day worked for me. 

That being said. I'm unfortunately seeing the nerousurgeon Monday for a surgical consultation.

Good luck.

4 hours ago, farcanell said:

Lol... stupidity.

i was actually in a work harness and was over reaching, stretching against the restraint to get a couple of extra inches.... (those extra inches are always important, as most of us know)... in an attempt to install a large shackle on a load. So... both dumb and unusual.

as for you, it probably wasn’t something dumb (or you would probably remember), so it could have been something as simple as twisting too quickly, Perhaps when already in motion... and therefore not noticed because you were already “warm”, so the pain itself didn’t manifest until swelling occurred hours later (Or the following morning?)

the back is a really sensitive area, prone to injury, especially after a lifetime of abuse.... “they” talk about core abdominal strength as the best defense against back damage, but in my case, unfortunately, it’s been quite awhile since my abs displayed any real strength

i have a Velcro fastening back support deal that I can wrap around my waist, securing it fairly tightly in front (like a corset, but Velcro vs lace).... it provides support and reduces the strain on my lower back whilst minimizeing further aggravation, (although it’s not that comfortable to wear in warm weather.). I highly recommend it whilst recovering, especially if you need to be moving about before you are properly recovered. (It’s largely concealed under a baggy shirt)

and something to remember... if using pain meds (lol... which I highly recommend) do bear in mind that they mask the symptoms vs cure the problem, so don’t fall for the old trap of thinking your good to go, as the pain is gone.... that will only lead to more misery and a longer recovery, although I’m sure your aware of that.

i hope you feel better on the morrow, and also that others, perhaps with clinical knowledge, see your OP, and chime in... but rest up till then.

ha  ha , yeah  stupidity,  it  actually got  worse yesterday  as i  was  trying  to  wipe  my  rse in  the  bathroom  when  using  the  bum  gun  was  really  enough, my  own  fault  for  trying  when  it  was  already  bad.............thats  stupidity

i do a  lot of physical  work  on  the  land  here  (have  been  for 5  years) so  something  always  aches,  been  spreading 12 tons  of  stone a  day  for  the  last 2-3  weeks but  felt  ok.......... luckily am  in Bkk  with  Mrs kannot  at  the  moment

Pain  aside am  bored sh**less.

Just  ordered  a  back  support  thanks  

ddd.jpg

4 hours ago, NickJ said:

Hopefully you don't have any pain or numbness in the buttock, going down the leg or into the foot. 

I also use diclofenac. But if you go to the local pharmacy just buy the Thai brand. It's way cheaper than voltaren.  100 to 200 mg a day worked for me. 

That being said. I'm unfortunately seeing the nerousurgeon Monday for a surgical consultation.

Good luck.

thanks,  no,  no  numbness everything  feels  fine, except  the muscle which  i  can  feel going  into  spasm (stopped  now),  am  taking  Arcoxia and a  muscle  relaxant Myonal,  asked  for  a  revolver but  they were  out  of  stock and  harder  to  swallow..........bloody  typical

Are you sure you haven't herniated a disc (slipped disc)?.

That really does hurt. It also produces feelings of spasms, but it's not a muscle complaining. It's rather more serious than that.

If the pain is intense and doesn't seem to be getting better, if it's in the lower back, and close to the spine, you may want to  check that out professionally.

56 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Are you sure you haven't herniated a disc (slipped disc)?.

That really does hurt. It also produces feelings of spasms, but it's not a muscle complaining. It's rather more serious than that.

If the pain is intense and doesn't seem to be getting better, if it's in the lower back, and close to the spine, you may want to  check that out professionally.

its in the muscle on the left hand side, can feel it, pretty sure not a disc, black arrow shows area

anatomy-of-muscles-tendons-and-ligaments-in-back_3382937e-9a7c-4f7b-a167-2152b94b61d6.jpg

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Is that a go-kart circuit you're building?? ????

ha ha, no but could be used as, drop by if u have a go kart..........Prachuap area, here before trees and stone

20181127_140328.jpg

Moist heat and yoga (it sounds like croc, but every time my back hurts, yoga/stretching help.  A lot).

Sometimes it maybe just happens.  Last year I suddenly woke up one morning with my upper back seized up (like, I literally woke up, sat up in bed, and went "ohhhhhhh <deleted>???").  Muscle soreness, interspersed with sudden random spasms that took my breath away (partly from pain and partly just from sudden tensing of muscles in the thoracic area).  It was like that for a couple weeks.  I hadn't done a thing that could have caused it (nothing I hadn't/haven't done a million times before and since with no issue)-- I don't think I even slept weird.

I know someone who once hurt her back but got over it pretty quickly... she said her doctor told her don't lie around in bed but keep moving.  Apparently it worked for her.  I imagine this depends on exactly what the issue is-- don't do it if it's a condition that'll cause injury with movement, and obviously it doesn't mean hop to the gym and bang out some lat pulldowns and rows-- but in some cases it might help.

Archived