How many of you are part timers?

Now things are changing i meeting a lot more part timers staying in Thailand, that is 6 months in Thailand and 6 months in their own Country.

I met a guy the other day he was 61 and does Uber driving in Australia for 5 months over Xmas time and 7 months in Pattaya over low season.

the only thing i didnt agree with him was he was renting out his house for 6 months whilst he was in Thailand and he said the last tenants trashed it so he was running it under Airbnb whilst he was in Thailand.

If your lucky enough to be a tradesmen plumber or something yiu can easily work for yourself or someone for the 6 months 

How many of you are part timers or changing from full time to part time, what about the new rules , has it made you  decide to be a part timer than move full time?

Do any of you work  part time job for 6 months or so then spend the rest of the time in Thailand .

I notice a few Uber drivers in Australia tell me they spend time in Asia a lot , a few living part time in the Phillipines etc 

But im thinking there is some great ideas there , rent out my house say for 3 months at a time whilst in Thailand and come back say for 3 months and work a job .

Edited by georgegeorgia

Uber make me feel that soon there will be Uber teacher and Uber nurse. They will be the monopoly employment agent of the future so that employees can be taken advantage of smoothly and legally.

6 months in 6 months out. What a great luxury. I recommend it as a lifestyle. Best of both worlds, worst of both worlds

4 hours ago, roo860 said:

6 months Thailand, 6 months UK for the last 20yrs. Owned a condo for the last 12yrs in Chiang Mai , self employed in UK, close house up, no problem.

Retirement extension for the last 5yrs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I’m doing the same but about 6 months based in BKK and I work in the Boston area self employed late April through September. I close my part of my old house up for that time but I have a large flat above mine that I rent out all year and they keep my pipes warmed and pay a rather large rent that pays my entire mortgage , property taxes , house insurance , water bill and there is still $$ left over to pay all my utilities. I love late Spring and Summer in New England and I still take most Sunday’s off and many other days off to enjoy.  My condo in BKK I have a friend look over when I’m away I don’t want to rent it out. I might consider renting out my flat in Boston sometime for extra $$. 

Can I ask you why you don’t do a METV? Just $200 and no reporting etc??  I love it because I travel around Asia a lot as well. 

Dont you have to be here sometimes at certain dates for a retirement extension? I was always wondering if there is any benefit to a retirement extension and I do not see any. 

• Like 2

I’m doing the same but about 6 months based in BKK and I work in the Boston area self employed late April through September. I close my part of my old house up for that time but I have a large flat above mine that I rent out all year and they keep my pipes warmed and pay a rather large rent that pays my entire mortgage , property taxes , house insurance , water bill and there is still $$ left over to pay all my utilities. I love late Spring and Summer in New England and I still take most Sunday’s off and many other days off to enjoy.  My condo in BKK I have a friend look over when I’m away I don’t want to rent it out. I might consider renting out my flat in Boston sometime for extra $$. 

Can I ask you why you don’t do a METV? Just $200 and no reporting etc??  I love it because I travel around Asia a lot as well. 

Dont you have to be here sometimes at certain dates for a retirement extension? I was always wondering if there is any benefit to a retirement extension and I do not see any. 

I'm married to a Thai national, as for the reporting every 90 days can do it online. All I do before going home is get a single re-entry permit, 1,000bt, I get this when I do my yearly extension in February.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

If you live in Thailand year round like I do and are over fifty and retired it is the go to thing. 

super cheap and very easy to get if you qualify.  One day a year.

Your anniversary date has to be timed when you are here for sure so I guess you have to start it at a certain time if you are away a lot. But I’m more interested in knowing if you are here just for a 6 or 7 month time frame and will definitely be away for a 5 month block is is really better? 

Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, roo860 said:

I'm married to a Thai national, as for the reporting every 90 days can do it online. All I do before going home is get a single re-entry permit, 1,000bt, I get this when I do my yearly extension in February.

Ok. If you were single and knew you would be back in your home country for at least a 5 month break each year at the same time would you still do retirement extension? I’m just trying to see if it really would benefit my current situation but the METV seems to fit me like a glove even though some experts here seem to disagree. I just think one METV a year lasting about 6 months and returning to your home country about 6 months is no way a red flag to immigration and I’m a tourist here and love to get away after my 60 days and come back again on my METV. I have never even gone to Chang Wattana to extend 30 days because I hate wasting nearly a day there. Thanks. 

• Like 1

Ok. If you were single and knew you would be back in your home country for at least a 5 month break each year at the same time would you still do retirement extension? I’m just trying to see if it really would benefit my current situation but the METV seems to fit me like a glove even though some experts here seem to disagree. I just think one METV a year lasting about 6 months and returning to your home country about 6 months is no way a red flag to immigration and I’m a tourist here and love to get away after my 60 days and come back again on my METV. I have never even gone to Chang Wattana to extend 30 days because I hate wasting nearly a day there. Thanks. 

I used to get the triple entry TV before.

Probably would still do the retirement extension if I was single.

My wife has duel US/ Thai PP, we own a house we stay in 7-8 months a year. My Niece and sister-in-law live with us and take care of the house while we are gone. We go to NW Florida and stay as snow birds! Except we get some cold weather, opposite of all the Canadians and northeast people to get out of the very cold who are here. We rent our house out here in Fort Walton Beach Florida to some great renters. Sitting in a condo on the gulf of Mexica at snow bird rates, enjoying. Back to Bangkok in middle of Feb. Also have another house for sell cheap in Nonthaburi area if anyone is interested. Tired of dealing with Nonthaburi immigration ( pain in the ass ). So doing a ME O visa for now. Maybe next year a OA.

Edited by allen303

13 hours ago, madmen said:

I'm looking at it seriously after 13 years here. 6 months in oz and 6 months here

So many things I miss about oz especially Beach fishing and the cheap price of deli food, cheese, wine etc.

I think it's far better to feel like a tourist in both countries than to feel trapped in either

I have no trouble renting my condo on lower Sukhumvit through air bnb so that all helps

Based on what you were yearning for I would have thought Spain would be a lot cheaper than Australia, so I assume you miss Australia too.

I have been part-time 8 months in Thailand on retirement visa based on income letter and 4 in UK where I have a rolling consultancy contract. However the new rules requiring THB 65k every month are causing me to rethink. Although I remit more than the required 65k when I am in Thailand I remit nothing when I am in UK. I can find 800k but am reluctant to move that to Thailand at current exchange rate and for a 1-2% return. Definitely time for a ponder!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GordonP said:

I have been part-time 8 months in Thailand on retirement visa based on income letter and 4 in UK where I have a rolling consultancy contract. However the new rules requiring THB 65k every month are causing me to rethink. Although I remit more than the required 65k when I am in Thailand I remit nothing when I am in UK. I can find 800k but am reluctant to move that to Thailand at current exchange rate and for a 1-2% return. Definitely time for a ponder!

I'm pretty sure I read that they are looking for an "average" of 65k per month into a Thai bank, from a foreign source.

If you live in Thailand for 8 months you would need to remit 97,500THB each of those months to "average" 65,000THB.

If you bring into Thailand more than you need, you can always take cash back to your home country when you return.

• Confused 1

I'm pretty sure I read that they are looking for an "average" of 65k per month into a Thai bank, from a foreign source.
If you live in Thailand for 8 months you would need to remit 97,500THB each of those months to "average" 65,000THB.
If you bring into Thailand more than you need, you can always take cash back to your home country when you return.

That's wrong. I asked the same question about the average yesterday and that term was wrongly translated. Their is no average just 65 k minimum
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been doing 4/5 months thailand, ( or elsewhere) for 34 years. I work for the other 6/7 in the tourist trade in the south of France. Lots of my friends do the same. It’s a great option for people working a seasonal job., It was easier before with a double entry and no queuing for hours for notification of address and extensions.Small price to pay though for year long sunshine and a nice pool.

• Like 1

I spend 7 months a year in Bkk, 5 months in Florida. I prefer rainy season here to the summer heat in Florida where I bought a condo a few years ago. Renting in Bangkok for the months I am here. I get OA visa in USA every other year and obtain re-entry permit in Bkk to keep visa alive for nearly 2 years but this takes some careful planning.   I used to spend more time in Bkk but mandatory USA Medicare keeps me there longer now and I buy travel insurance for the months spent in Thailand.

• Like 1

183 days in Thailand to be precise. That's the minimum for the taxmen back home. If 3 months were enough I'd go for 3 months. As a pensioner this requirement to be at least 183 days in a given country is killing me.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 2:47 AM, madmen said:

I'm looking at it seriously after 13 years here. 6 months in oz and 6 months here

So many things I miss about oz especially Beach fishing and the cheap price of deli food, cheese, wine etc.

I think it's far better to feel like a tourist in both countries than to feel trapped in either

I have no trouble renting my condo on lower Sukhumvit through air bnb so that all helps

I understand AirBNB has been declared illegal in Thailand, also that the authorities are cracking down on condo rentals shorter than 1 month. Be careful.

I understand AirBNB has been declared illegal in Thailand, also that the authorities are cracking down on condo rentals shorter than 1 month. Be careful.
Air bnb isn't illegal in Thailand and yes I rent monthly as it's illegal in our condo block if less than 30 days
  • Like 1

On 1/9/2019 at 2:47 AM, madmen said:

I just got back from 3 weeks in Oz over christmas. Took mt gf back to meet mum and the fam. I can honestly say the only thing I miss is Nandos. !0 or 15 years ago it would be a different story but now everything is over priced (taxes, fuel, utilities), there's too many stressed and unhappy people and the roads are a nightmare. I'll stick with Thailand fulltime now for the forseeable future

On 1/9/2019 at 8:02 PM, JackGats said:

183 days in Thailand to be precise. That's the minimum for the taxmen back home. If 3 months were enough I'd go for 3 months. As a pensioner this requirement to be at least 183 days in a given country is killing me.

I just take the hit as a foreign resident for tax purposes. 33% on my dividends isn't too bad when I account for tax withheld on fully franked distributions, makes investing a little more difficult but doable. This route is much preferred than being forced to go back to Oz for 6 months a year (and cheaper!)