"Jomtien Supertown Walking Street" -- they built it, will you come?

Jingthing

If I would be gay I would visit Jomtien for nightlife. But in the non-gay the bars and massages are working the mothers of the Pattaya´s Soi 6 girls. So I enjoy the better beach, the food, the market and that it´s quiet in Jomtien, but for sure not the nightlife.
Can't argue with your wisdom on that one.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not homophobic but I am not gay so there is no need/reason for me to go into an area with bars that cater to the LGBTQS---- community. As for the restaurants, they may be excellent but I will never find out because I  will not be drawn to the area. If there is a large enough gay community I am sure it will thrive. If not it will struggle. Best of luck to the businesses involved.

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

If I would be gay I would visit Jomtien for nightlife. But in the non-gay the bars and massages are working the mothers of the Pattaya´s Soi 6 girls. So I enjoy the better beach, the food, the market and that it´s quiet in Jomtien, but for sure not the nightlife.

8 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

There are a few young hotties amoungst the <deleted>'s working the bars on Jomtien Soi7. Same for the quasi massage shops on Jomtien Soi6. 

Edited by pegman

Can't see why they built this ......... the "Rompho" market complex is very similar & in need of a urgent facelift. My visits of late show that everything connected to the "bar scene" is in decline & dying a death in Jomtien. If Pattaya city is suffering, which it is badly, then it's only a indication that bars are living on borrowed time. Christmas Period was different as it is every year, but the visitors frequenting the bars were mostly from "eastern block" countries for the holidays. It will drop off dramatically mid Jan guaranteed. Blame the influx of Chinese, Indians, plus all the Asian visitors that are made welcome here with "free visas" on "zero package" tours that do not want or can afford this type of entertainment period ......... give them more 7/11's as that is the only venue they frequent for all their daily needs ............ fact

8 hours ago, pegman said:

There are a few young hotties amoungst the <deleted>'s working the bars on Jomtien Soi7. Same for the quasi massage shops on Jomtien Soi6. 

You are right, there are some hotties at the small soi on the way to a hotel. I guess it´s Soi 6. I don´t know how many customers they have per day and the price because they tried to sell themself very aggressive, when I passed them to have a look at the hotel. It was annoying so I didn´t asked details. Also not if they would come to the room. But at the bars in Soi 7 I saw no cute girls except the last one, coming from the beach side. And for sure there were none at the bar complex on the other side of the Second Road.  

On 1/9/2019 at 6:58 PM, petermik said:

That "potential" has been the hope for the past ten years that I know of.............:whistling:

25 years ago it was a "white elephant" and they are still trying to reinvent it! 

8 minutes ago, CGW said:

25 years ago it was a "white elephant" and they are still trying to reinvent it! 

Perhaps but I'm confident something positive is happening. Look at the anchor building now housing the large Chinese restaurant and hostel. That building was totally vacant and decaying I think for over a decade! (Though I recall there was a German restaurant there going for some time only on the ground floor.) Now it's a thriving new landmark. I think that if people don't see the clues that the area is on the up have blinders on. The area is not literally a "mall" but don't look for Jomtien Complex / Supertown to be featured on the dead mall website anyone soon.

http://deadmalls.com/

Edited by Jingthing

10 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

no re branding will make me ever walk down that street, i live here, its just full of gay massage parlours , not my scene, once was enough for me.

Supertown is multiple streets. You don't like French pastries and possibly the best French bread in Thailand?

https://www.facebook.com/odelicejomtien/

If you're only talking about the one street with the new sign, yes there are a lot of gay beer bar places but that's not all. There are also multiple restaurants and hotels as well. Also a show bar that attracts a lot of straight people. 

There is even Yupins a higher end European restaurant that appears to be highly rated (but not my style of restaurant so I haven't even been) directly on that sign entrance street. A very long standing business so if the location was that much of a disaster a place like that would have never made it.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g293919-d4698571-Reviews-Yupin_s_restaurant-Pattaya_Chonburi_Province.html

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, Daveyh said:

Can't see why they built this ......... the "Rompho" market complex is very similar & in need of a urgent facelift.

The main lease on the bar part of the Rhompo complex expires soon. Apparently it may not be renewed and the land will be put to some other use.

So few people are likely to want to spend any money on the existing structures, or indeed get financially involved with the area at all.

23 hours ago, pegman said:

I've read reports that all the leases at the RomPho Beer Bar Complex will not be renewed this spring by the church that owns the land. There will likely be plenty of bar owners and patrons looking for a close by area to relocate. 

Feel free to correct me if you have better information, but RomPho has continued to lose bars over the past two years.  Part of the reason might be an impending lease refusal ... or a lack of customers in the bars.  The food area of RomPho is unusually strong -- and is mostly "family" attended.

52 minutes ago, CGW said:

And it is possible that this and other factors might change it.  There is a club (in the complex) that performs drag shows nightly (entertainment staff of 27+).  Over 50% of the clientele are Male/Female couples.  IMO, Jomtien has an over-abundance of visiting non-gay adults looking for something "naughty" that is "close" to the area they are staying.

Look at the response to the night market and the number of families going there for food and something to do.  It will be interesting to see if the complex can find a way to attract these visitors who are spending money.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaihot said:

And it is possible that this and other factors might change it.  There is a club (in the complex) that performs drag shows nightly (entertainment staff of 27+).  Over 50% of the clientele are Male/Female couples.  IMO, Jomtien has an over-abundance of visiting non-gay adults looking for something "naughty" that is "close" to the area they are staying.

Look at the response to the night market and the number of families going there for food and something to do.  It will be interesting to see if the complex can find a way to attract these visitors who are spending money.

Excellent points. Reinforcing my feeling that this new sign and branding was a good move. It's fun, flashy, and welcoming. Yes if anybody didn't know beforehand there is a lot of gay stuff in there and they can't handle that, well they can run away if the like, but isn't seeing/experiencing something "different" part of vacation fun for many? 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chaihot said:

It will be interesting to see if the complex can find a way to attract these visitors who are spending money.

I hope it does work out, if the "owners" can make it work after all these years more power to them.

This was one of the many "complexes" that were built pre 1997 & helped lead to the Asian crisis.

Money was made by the original developer and the bankers who gave them the money to build something that was just not needed at the time, years later they are still struggling to make money.

12 hours ago, Ulic said:

Not homophobic but I am not gay so there is no need/reason for me to go into an area with bars that cater to the LGBTQS---- community. As for the restaurants, they may be excellent but I will never find out because I  will not be drawn to the area

Strange decision, it's a mixed area with plenty of food options.

First Tinnies pies,  then walk a few meters to get to the French bakery and around the corner a French restaurant. 

Some gay massage places and bars but it's a mix , most tourists walking there are families and straight I would think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, balo said:

Strange decision, it's a mixed area with plenty of food options.

First Tinnies pies,  then walk a few meters to get to the French bakery and around the corner a French restaurant. 

Some gay massage places and bars but it's a mix , most tourists walking there are families and straight I would think. 

Freakin' exactly, Balo. Anyway if some sensitive people are spooked away by some male masseurs giving them the come hither, their loss!

Correction update. There is also a second Supertown Walking Street entrance sign at the Tinnies corner entrance. So as said before Supertown covers the same large area as ex Jomtien Complex. It looks like the business owners gay and straight are going all in on this new branding.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I walked through the entire area last night. It's not one soi. It is numerous sois covering a quite large area. It was packed with people. The restaurants were full. Dying? Hilarious what ignorant people that won't ever go in there think. 

Again, how can it be a mini Boystown when there is no district in the city at all that is called Boystown? For there to be a mini, there needs to be a maxi. Duh.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I walked through the entire area last night. It's not one soi. It is numerous sois covering a quite large area. It was packed with people. The restaurants were full. Dying? Hilarious what ignorant people that won't ever go in there think. 

Again, how can it be a mini Boystown when there is no district in the city at all that is called Boystown? For there to be a mini, there needs to be a maxi. Duh.

If this area is to your liking then good luck to you.....fortunately I was wired right at birth and find more normal areas much more agreeable to my simple and uncomplicated tastes :jap:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, petermik said:

If this area is to your liking then good luck to you.....fortunately I was wired right at birth and find more normal areas much more agreeable to my simple and uncomplicated tastes :jap:

More like wired right wing. 

Let me ask you, if there was a business in there that had something you really wanted and there was no other option for that in town, would you visit?

For example if you loved Ethiopian food and there was an Ethiopian restaurant there. 

The right answer is yes. The "normal" answer is yes. The right wing/homophobic answer is no.