Saudi teen who fled family welcomed as 'brave new Canadian' in Toronto

rooster59

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"(Australia) takes too long. That's why I went to Canada," she told Reuters in a direct message before boarding her flight to Toronto. Qunun took a Korean Air flight from Bangkok to Seoul on Friday and then a connecting flight to Toronto.

It seems cold snow covered land is better than hot deserts ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Why would land borders with the USA be important ? I mean she is getting set up in Canada why even think about the USA. Not everyone wants to go to the USA especially now with Thrump in power. 

Despite the past and current realities, a greater percentage of 'third worlders' still subscribe to living or realizing their dream in the US. I wouldn't discount that the common border was a significant influence in her sudden change of venue. Australia or Canada? Bit of a no-brainer there.

She's a Saudi, and ultimately she may prefer a more temperate climate. Once she has her Canadian citizenship and passport, San Diego is truly her oyster. DJT isn't a diamond either.

Personally, I would have opted for an EU country for the endless possibilities and opportunities. Both Australia and USA are geographically isolated if/when one feels the need for a change. Breakfast in Ireland, lunch in Austria, dinner in Greece.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NanLaew said:

Despite the past and current realities, a greater percentage of 'third worlders' still subscribe to living or realizing their dream in the US. I wouldn't discount that the common border was a significant influence in her sudden change of venue. Australia or Canada? Bit of a no-brainer there.

She's a Saudi, and ultimately she may prefer a more temperate climate. Once she has her Canadian citizenship and passport, San Diego is truly her oyster. DJT isn't a diamond either.

Personally, I would have opted for an EU country for the endless possibilities and opportunities. Both Australia and USA are geographically isolated if/when one feels the need for a change. Breakfast in Ireland, lunch in Austria, dinner in Greece.

Irish breakfest? 

15 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Good luck in Canada but reality will set in soon.  The family probably has cut off her credit cards and access to money in the bank.  Asylum doe not mean a luxurious lifestyle.  She might have to get a job.  At 18 I wonder what skills she can offer?  Will she live in public housing with other refugees in Canada?  Freedom is Not Free(literally).  

Nothing is unachievable now that there's crowdfunding.

I would hope she's still more concerned with her safety since she has spurned both her faith and family.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 300sd said:

You kind of missed the point. But yes Canada was certainly more convenient for her and she'll never forget it. Canada stood up while the rest of the world sat on their hands.

my 'point' follows the same path as has @PJPom written recently above too...