Stop tearing families apart based on earnings! Scrap minimum income requirement

5 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

I don't understand. How can self employed income not count?

It states on the UK Gov website that self employed income is acceptable 

What counts as income

You and your partner can use:

• income from employment before tax and National Insurance (check your P60 or payslips) - you can only use your own income if you earn it in the UK
  • income you earn from self-employment or as a director of a limited company in the UK - check your Self Assessment tax return

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa/proof-income

6 minutes ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Yes. As it should be as it is a perfectly acceptable way to get a mortgage.

Something dodgy in op story.

It also stated that she was working in the U.K as well and both incomes can be combined to reach that amount .

Self employed in this case refers to unincorporated proprietorships, a sole trader.

If you incorporate then you're not in this class, you're a director.

Lots of people run small business in the UK with this type of informal company.

33 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Self employed in this case refers to unincorporated proprietorships, a sole trader.

If you incorporate then you're not in this class, you're a director.

Lots of people run small business in the UK with this type of informal company.

I was a sole proprietor in Canada. It doesn't make any difference regarding financial matters.

Is it different in UK? I wouldn't think so.

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He says that his plastering business makes 18 000 a year , but its not clear whether he has people working for him and thus his profit may not be higher then 18 000 ,(if he has to pay wages out)

If that's the case then he is lying in his post.

No one sane calculates profits before expenses. Your tax returns are your earnings. You either pocketed 18k or you didn't.

Edited by theguyfromanotherforum
  • Like 1

Self employed do count but you need £18,600 before tax is deducted. The self employed have all sorts of allowances that are all taken into account before your income is taxed and I would think that the guy in the story has a turnover above £18,600 but he will be able to claim for a van (100% tax deductable), fuel if he uses it for his business and many other allowances.

There has to be a threshold and I think £18,600 is probably on the low side for a couple who will need to spend £8000 plus on visa fees, travel etc etc over five years. I think it's around £2400 extra if they have a child. Really? Somebody needs to tell me if they have a baby that it costs less than £50 a week to look after.

6 minutes ago, rasg said:

Self employed do count but you need £18,600 before tax is deducted. The self employed have all sorts of allowances that are all taken into account before your income is taxed and I would think that the guy in the story has a turnover above £18,600 but he will be able to claim for a van (100% tax deductable), fuel if he uses it for his business and many other allowances.

There has to be a threshold and I think £18,600 is probably on the low side for a couple who will need to spend £8000 plus on visa fees, travel etc etc over five years. I think it's around £2400 extra if they have a child. Really? Somebody needs to tell me if they have a baby that it costs less than £50 a week to look after.

'there has to be a threshold' why?

• Like 1

For the simple reason that people will end up claiming from the government fraudulently if they don't have enough money to live on and who loses out? The tax payer, as always ends up footing the bill one way or another. I'm not saying the system is perfect. It's not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, rasg said:

For the simple reason that people will end up claiming from the government fraudulently if they don't have enough money to live on and who loses out? The tax payer, as always ends up footing the bill one way or another. I'm not saying the system is perfect. It's not.

Well there is very little fact to back that up, the home office figures show that immigrants on average earn more, start more businesses and claim less benefits. 

As long as someone can support themselves without relying on state benefits and can supply a home then their spouse should be allowed to live with them, my wife will work when she gets here (harder than most of my staff do) and I imagine your wife does too... 

• Like 1

maybe he hasn't been self employed long enough, look at the case of the 'only fools' actor who was refused with a Thai wife.  but i can not see how a self employed person wanting to earn £18,600 can not do so, as he will tell the tax man how much he earns, if he says £20,000 on his tax return that's how much he earns.

• Like 1

I know of many Poles who live fairly close to me who live six to ten to a house. Many of them earn mimimum wage or less but as they are in the EU they claim help for rent, money for their kids. They used to get it and send it back to Poland. A lot work in the building trade paying no tax at all. My neighbour had an extension built a couple of years ago. A team of eight. One Brit, one Pole who could speak English and the rest, Poles with no English.

I know of at last half a dozen Thais whose visas have run out a long time ago and they work with family in the black economy. A local shop to me that sold many, many asian ingredients, prawns, fish and meat was raided a few months ago and three quarters of the staff were found to not have visas to work or be here. I think it's a £10K fine for each of them.

10 hours ago, rasg said:

I know of many Poles who live fairly close to me who live six to ten to a house. Many of them earn mimimum wage or less but as they are in the EU they claim help for rent, money for their kids. They used to get it and send it back to Poland. A lot work in the building trade paying no tax at all. My neighbour had an extension built a couple of years ago. A team of eight. One Brit, one Pole who could speak English and the rest, Poles with no English.

I know of at last half a dozen Thais whose visas have run out a long time ago and they work with family in the black economy. A local shop to me that sold many, many asian ingredients, prawns, fish and meat was raided a few months ago and three quarters of the staff were found to not have visas to work or be here. I think it's a £10K fine for each of them.

You need to look at data... try to be more scientific to make better decisions.

11 hours ago, rasg said:

There are many facts to back that up. You just choose to believe the bilge that they spout. Many who do come here end up on minimum wage or in the black economy and take far more out of the system than they put in. They have more kids and put a lot of strain on systems that are fit to burst. The police, education, the NHS, the roads. Pretty much everything and I'm not specifically referring to your wife or mine.

'bilge they spout' - you mean H.M.R.C ?

Please let us know what data you are basing your assumptions on?

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 6:33 PM, GinBoy2 said:

These kinda threads are always fascinating to me.

I'm American, especially in the Trump era we get portrayed as some anti immigrant xenophobic country. Yet in reality compared to most European countries we're pretty liberal when it comes to bringing spouses to the US.

Don't quote me on the absolute numbers, but when you file your support affidavit I think it's only an income of $24,000 or assets which could be liquidated up to $100k to qualify to bring your wife to the US, which only needs to be in place for 24 months.

Maybe we're not the anti immigrant xenophobes you'd all like to believe!

Yes, ofcourse!

Isn't it ironic that we let tens of thousands people into the most prosperous nation on earth for nothing and a 3rd world country requires that you have $25,000 to live there.

Edited by mshs