Don't rip off tourists - be good hosts! - Pattaya tourism leader implores Thais

webfact

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes but at least it has been said the guy names the problem so instead of burning him down applaud him for what he is saying. Some people have to be negative about Thais all the time.

The applause will start when they DO something. We are always hearing words only and we're now cynical. 

6 hours ago, balo said:

Good hosts indeed.

"It's high season so all prices are now increased."  

Yes, look at some of the hotels and guesthouses, some have even put their prices up on 1st October instead of 1st November for the beginning of the high season.

• Like 2

He's right, the word is getting out and the tourist are looking for other areas to is it but the rip off is just too deeply ingrained into the culture and it is unlikely to change. For the few brave ones that try they may see growth of their business at the expense of their competition.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, chama said:

He's right, the word is getting out and the tourist are looking for other areas to is it but the rip off is just too deeply ingrained into the culture and it is unlikely to change. For the few brave ones that try they may see growth of their business at the expense of their competition.

cheating and scamming in society is akin to the bios hardwired into a computer motherboard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, it has been said, but what this young man doesn't know is that the term "Rip Off" is not in the Thai Language  and "Taking Advantage" of Foreigners is a national sport in Thailand, as it is in every other tourist location in the world.  The service providers goal is, and should be, to separate a tourist from his/her money with due diligence.  Plain and Simple.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

I thought the starting price on Grab was cheaper than that.

160 is the lowest I found for Grab.  160 baht to go 210 metres from Avenue Mall to Kiss Food.  (Yes I know no one would ever take a taxi between these 2 locations but I chose 2 locations many of us are familiar with in Central Pattaya so we get an idea on how ridiculous the prices are, even with Grab).  I use Grab in many other cities in Asia, just not Pattaya.

Isn't there still the possibility of getting into fights with motorbike riders and other taxi drivers by using Grab car? 

Edited by AlexCanada
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AlexCanada said:

Isn't there still the possibility of getting into fights with motorbike riders and other taxi drivers by using Grab car? 

I dont know. I have a car and I never take taxis here. Sometimes going to the airport I will take a pre-booked "taxi" from the likes of Mr T, and that's a fixed 1100B for 100+km. Anyone who expects me to pay 160B to go anywhere in Pattaya is dreaming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

. Anyone who expects me to pay 160B to go anywhere in Pattaya is dreaming.

That's exactly my point in regard to this thread.  Tourists who don't own a car or motorbike in Pattaya are being scammed by taxi drivers along with baht bus drivers who sit at the designated 'Bus Stop' areas and are not willing to take 10 baht per ride.  These baht baht drivers rather ask for amounts in line with what a taxi would ask.

Edited by AlexCanada

31 minutes ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Yes, it has been said, but what this young man doesn't know is that the term "Rip Off" is not in the Thai Language  and "Taking Advantage" of Foreigners is a national sport in Thailand, as it is in every other tourist location in the world.  The service providers goal is, and should be, to separate a tourist from his/her money with due diligence.  Plain and Simple.

20 years never happens to me.  Wonder why?  I'm a vet ex Vietnam/Thailand.  I get good service everywhere I go.  Even Lazada gave me 200 baht plus refund for an order being messed up and told me to keep the item and credited my account in 2 hours.  I've had the same doctor for 5 years same driver for 7.  Motorcycle taxi drivers stop me and ask if I want a ride or I'm exercising. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AlexCanada said:

That's exactly my point in regard to this thread.  Tourists who don't own a car or motorbike in Pattaya are being scammed by taxi drivers along with baht bus driver who sit at the 'Bus Stop' not willing to take 10 baht rather ask for amounts in line with what a taxi would ask.

I agree. Many farangs here dont have the faintest idea what money is worth and overpay for just about everything. That includes many who live here.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Thank You, 'cept I never get ripped off in Vietnam, I spend a lot of time there..........Cambodia??  Oh Yes.   Thai's just try to get as much for their product as you are willing to pay - today, I wanted to buy some boxing gloves for my kids..........first word out of her mouth was 500 baht each, I laughed and told her in Thai I saw them in Central for 200 baht, she insisted 500 baht.  so I went back to the stall outside Central Festioval and bought 2 pair @200 baht each and walked back and showed her  -  not to be thwarted, she immediately said "Mine are better"  500 baht...............so she lost 400 baht, trying to get 1000 baht.  they just don't think..........now I am sure there are dozens of tourists that might have paid 500 baht & more each but not me.

Yes, you're are quite right... they may ask for 'rip off prices', on the assumption that some will pay it, but I don't blame them for that, I just give my business to someone else. If like you, you're smart enough to know the right price then you just shop elsewhere. I do like the saving face comment though... "mine are better", even though they're probably exactly the same ????