More sharks found displayed at seafood restaurant in Phuket

webfact

More sharks found displayed at seafood restaurant in Phuket

By The Thaiger

49826046_2369364913096328_38380814955288

PHOTO: Go-Eco Phuket

More sharks been discovered hanging in front of a seafood restaurant in Karon in “Thailand famous tourism city” (translated).

A Facebook page ‘Go-Eco Phuket,’ principally a diving and environmental site, yesterday posted a photo of the shark being displayed out the front of a restaurant with a message reading…

“This is at the number one tourism city in Thailand (Don’t want to mention the place as we might have been thought that we have damaged tourism city image.).”

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/more-sharks-found-displayed-at-seafood-restaurant-in-phuket

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2019-01-15
  • Confused 1

I seem to recall that a few years back the Chiang Mai Night Safari was considering having a restaurant that served meats from the kinds of animals on display in the enclosures. It was seen by the operator as a natural thing to do! Possibly he was looking for a way of dealing with all the animal deaths, who knows.

This Phuket place is just another example of ignorance and insensitivity by people who should know better but prefer to make extra bucks from "exotic eating". And dont expect the authorities to do anything. Demonstrations, Facebook criticism and boycotts by the public are what will be effective.

Is this species of shark endangered, or over-fished? (serious question)

If not, how is it any different from eating any other fish from the ocean?

I've never tasted shark meat and would never buy anything that contributes to illegal trades, but that slice of the tail looks quite tasty.

10 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I've never tasted shark meat and would never buy anything that contributes to illegal trades, but that slice of the tail looks quite tasty.

Shark is very common, sold as flake, in Oz fish n chip outlets.Has been so for 50 plus years.Totally legal and very sweet white flesh.No idea if illegal here but in Oz sharks are plentiful!????????????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

Shark is very common, sold as flake, in Oz fish n chip outlets.Has been so for 50 plus years.Totally legal and very sweet white flesh.No idea if illegal here but in Oz sharks are plentiful!????????????

Yes in WA it is called Gummy shark one of the best eating fish you can get. 

At the end of the day fisheries world wide are under extreme pressure, the days of plenty of fish in the sea are over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

People eat shark meat all over the world. In Australia a lot of the "fish and chips" are made from shark meat. It the staple diet of many poor people in South Asia.

The shark in the picture is not an endangered species.  So why would you question a seafood restaurant selling shark meat? I think you should check your facts and information before making these pointless  posts.

1 hour ago, Oziex1 said:

At the end of the day fisheries world wide are under extreme pressure, the days of plenty of fish in the sea are over. 

Alaska Salmon. One of the most carefully managed fisheries in the world with extreme penalties for violation.

I cant eat it anymore, I have been salmoned out. UNless its smoked.

Edited by Nyezhov

On 1/15/2019 at 8:49 PM, Olmate said:

And if Australia had a population of 70 million, most of which favor seafood, then add millions of tourists and expats, how many sharks would have to be caught so the people could eat "flake?" 

How long before the shark population decreases to dangerous levels, even despite Australia' vast coast lines????

4 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

And if Australia had a population of 70 million, most of which favor seafood, then add millions of tourists and expats, how many sharks would have to be caught so the people could eat "flake?" 

How long before the shark population decreases to dangerous levels, even despite Australia' vast coast lines????

Pretty damn soon with the average Aussie redneck that believes the environment is someplace else. Aussie's are loosing their boats and paying massive fines for breaking the rules (bag limits) I'm referring to recreational fishers. 

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

That’s very hypothetical ,if we all ate seafood ???

16 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Read again.

I said, "most of which favor seafood" not "all."

The people of many countries in South East Asia favor seafood over other foods.

70 million SE Asians in OZ, haha...What happened to the beef and lamb?..