Follow up appointment charge?

navalyn

Hello, 

I have a question that couldnt find the answer in Google and in Thaivisa. If there are any topics related to that, forgive me.

Last week i crashed my feet my accident and my little finger cracked, not a big deal tough. I went to a private hospital and they charged me around 3300 baht, for xray, doctor diagnose, wrapping my finger (with simple wrapping bandage) and 2 medicine as calcium tablets and anti inflammation pills. And they assigned me to a follow up appointment this week so i went yesterday as appointed. Doctor changed the bandage and re prescribed the medicine, as same and nothing else. It charger around 2600baht, including 1200baht of doctor charge and a lot of titles as medical equipment (for simple bandages i guess, bcs nothing used or done other than changing bandage). If they charge more, it might be understandable but actually just bandage and 2 medicine that costs 2600 baht is kind of weird and as far as i know, follow up appointments within a period of time doesnt (and shouldnt) apply any charges. In my country, a follow up appointment in a private hospital within a month doesnt cost.

I didnt put the hospital name in here but got treatments in that same hospital before including a follow up one time and i remember they didnt charge for doctor at least. 

So my question is that am i right to complain and where should i complain?

Can private hospitals charge on simple follow up apointments like that?

Thank you all for reading.

My thoughts on the follow ups is this is a business. Think of it like a restaurant, of course they want you to come back. So, they sometimes steer you into coming back, even when not necessary. Arguable whether this is ethical or not. 

So, what do you do? My thought is go back for the follow up if you really feel like you need it, like the ailment is actually getting worse. Skip it if all seems in order.

Work here is so cheap, so it is great. I hope my post does not come off as negative. I just think since it is so cheap, this is their way to soak it a little bit. Again, casting no aspersions but that is my opinion. In the end I am very happy with the Thai care and pricing especially, but buyer beware on the folow up treadmill cycle. 

Normally you pay after your visit for that visit. And on your next visit (follow up or not) you pay for that visit.

That's normal procedure in Thailand. I never heard about a follow up visit being included. It might exist but probably not.

In many hospitals they have a short invoice and a detailed invoice. In the short invoice you see i.e. "medicine for 3500B". In the detailed invoice you see all the details with costs for each medicine, etc.

Sometimes when I go to a hospital they give me the detailed bill without asking and sometime I have to ask to get it. But I never had problems getting that detailed invoice.

In general about follow up visit I think it depends a lot. Some time ago I visited from time to time a chiropractor. He did what he had to do and the problem was fixed after one visit. The staff always asked me to make an appointment for a follow up visit and I told them always I will call if I think it's necessary. It was never necessary.

Another time I had a broken finger which needed some stiches. And sure I needed a couple of follow up visits. I paid for every visit and that is what I expected.

And if you think they charge too much or for unnecessary things just tell them you want to know what they do and how much they will charge for it. Sometimes there are alternatives, especially for medicine, with very different prices.

52 minutes ago, utalkin2me said:

Work here is so cheap, so it is great.

Yes, in many cases it is cheap. Or to be precise the person who does the actual work, including some doctors, don't make much money.

But that doesn't mean that the hospital doesn't charge a premium to make a lot of profit...

Follow up visits are normally charged for here, both in government and private hospitals.

Also the case in many Western countries. Not at all unusual.

The only exception would be if you had paid a package price for something, in which case follow ups might be included.

You could however have saved money by not buying medications at the hospital pharmacy - mark ups in private hospitals can be as much as 200 - 500%. And most medications, including ones that require a prescription in your home country, can be purchased here fro ma pharmacy without prescription. the main exceptions are narcotics, tranquilizers and some steroids.

In addition, private hospitals frequently prescribe unnecessary medications (e.g. the calcium in your case - and probably the anti-inflammatories at the time of follow up, they are usually needed just  in the first few days after injury).

Next time decline the medications after finding out what they are and have them subtracted from your bill.  Then buy any that are necessary yourself at a pharmacy.

Thank you all for your answers, i made some other diggings related with that issue and also asked to my landlord and with your informations, i have a better understanding for the issue.

Just one thing made me curious, with xray the first appointment was 3300 and without xray 2600 so is it that xrays in Thailand so cheap or should i really go for detailed invoices for both visits and check if they put secretly additional charges?

The charges are usual for a private hospital when medecines are purchased from the hospital phatmacy. I don't see any reason to seek more explanayion but suit yourself.

A single xray (1 film) usually 1000 - 1500 baht max.

You have already said that 1200 of the 2600 was doctor fee (typical). So that leaves 1400. There will be a hospital charge (sometimes called "nursing fee" but it is basicallt a fee for use of hosputal facilities). That is usually around 200 -250 baht. There will he a charge for the elastic bandage but likely not more than 100 baht. Rest will be the 2 medications. Which (1) were unnecessary and (2) could have been bought at a pharmacy for 1/5 the cost.

This is all par for the course. Most of us do not buy medications at hospitals and this greatly reduces costs.

Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app