Brexit bedlam - May's EU divorce deal crushed by 230 votes in parliament

webfact

2 hours ago, aright said:

you talk about EU imposing primary/treaty law in the UK

The supremacy of EU laws

The principle of supremacy, or primacy, describes the relationship between EU law and national law.

It says that EU law should prevail if it conflicts with national law. 

This ensures that EU rules are applied uniformly throughout the Union.

If national laws could contradict the EU treaties or laws passed by the EU institutions, there wouldn’t be this single set of rules in all member countries.

Unfortunately we did not listen to those who said the same in 1975.

If we had, then we would not have the conflict in our country today.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, aright said:

Depends on what sector you are considering

The impact of EU law varies from sector to sector. In many areas - public order, crime, defence, health - EU laws have minimal impact. But in others - workers' rights, trade - the impact is much greater because the single market and the free movement of workers are at the heart of what the EU is about and the substance of Brexit. The way we organise our NHS is not.

Interestingly, worker's rights - labour protection - job safety/protection

is an area that more and more frequently cause conflicts in Norway

The big labour unions are seeing red and becoming furious too frequently.

They feel strongly that EU legislation is undermining and eroding decades of established

legal and well functioning practice in Norway when it comes to labour protection.

Should the big unions start to go against the Labour party and the official support-EEA line

the political landscape may change.

6 minutes ago, Loiner said:

It’s the reason we’re having this discussion today. If more had listened to Tony Benn we wouldn’t have stayed with the EEC and still be trying to find release from the EU now.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I listened to him in 75 and voted to stay out.

I listened to learned economists (more learned than you or I) in 2016 and voted remain.

I listened to him in 75 and voted to stay out.

I listened to learned economists (more learned than you or I) in 2016 and voted remain.

Economists? Lol - learned lefty party lackeys and spin doctors. The same ones that forecast immediate Armageddon in case of a Leave vote?
Didn’t happen did it?

1 minute ago, Loiner said:

Economists? Lol - learned lefty party lackeys and spin doctors. The same ones that forecast immediate Armageddon in case of a Leave vote?
Didn’t happen did it?

What makes you think that economists are "lefties"? You're showing your ignorance now, they're generally the opposite.

The £ did crash, as the economists predicted. The stock market initially held up, as the economists predicted.

The economists predict that, on leaving the EU, British business will take a severe hit, with a resultant loss of jobs. You'd do well to listen to them, they know a lot more than you do.

6 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The economists predict that, on leaving the EU, British business will take a severe hit, with a resultant loss of jobs. You'd do well to listen to them, they know a lot more than you do.

Not only the economists. Literally no day without another expert issuing warnings. Airbus, Sony, medicine shortages, martial law and army available, no new FTA yet, WTO trade potentially to take 7 years to establish,...

10 minutes ago, Spidey said:

What makes you think that economists are "lefties"? You're showing your ignorance now, they're generally the opposite.

The £ did crash, as the economists predicted. The stock market initially held up, as the economists predicted.

This economist also gave a lot of predictions too. Looked what happened!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4419490/Only-two-Osborne-s-19-Brexit-forecasts-come-true.html

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/04/the-brexit-bounce-making-a-mockery-of-george-osbornes-project-fear/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/22/project-fears-brexit-predictions-wrong-100-billion-new-report/

9 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

As opposed to your give up control mission? 

Just curious whether you’re consistent and actually want to take back control or just handing over control from 27 countries and the ECJ to 120+ countries and the WTO. I call your taking back control BS because it doesn’t work when you want to trade with other nations, especially not when you want to do FTA. It’s just one of the many things your typical Brexit voter doesn’t have a clue about but can perfectly be manipulated to believe the EU is evil. On 29 March, those people can celebrate that they’ve taken back control, while their economy takes a hit and their politicians negotiate who to give control next. 

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I wouldn't call Osbourne an economist, ex Eaton and Bullingdon club, just another chinless wonder.

Anyway, according to Loiner, he can't be an economist as that profession belongs exclusively to "lefty party lackeys".

5 hours ago, tebee said:

Is Toy Boy using Brexit to try to deflect his (ex) voters from their own domestic problems. I wonder?

Who said Brexit could be achieved in 15 days? Where was this fleet of buses? No links. Ha ha.

Just like fois de gras - inflated out of all proportion - talks about lies but at the same time telling his own.

LSE, the trendy lefty bastion of Bolshevik propaganda still does not produce many Tories.
The lecturer for our economics modules was full weight sandal wearing muesli munching lefty.

22 minutes ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Just curious whether you’re consistent and actually want to take back control or just handing over control from 27 countries and the ECJ to 120+ countries and the WTO. I call your taking back control BS because it doesn’t work when you want to trade with other nations, especially not when you want to do FTA. It’s just one of the many things your typical Brexit voter doesn’t have a clue about but can perfectly be manipulated to believe the EU is evil. On 29 March, those people can celebrate that they’ve taken back control, while their economy takes a hit and their politicians negotiate who to give control next. 

How can anyone compare the influence of the WTO to that of the EU? Rabid rabid.????

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

dunno what it looks like today

but back in the 70s when I went to UNI in Scotland

my perception was that LSE was considered rather left/radical leaning

but of course, economists pop out everywhere, not only from LSE

your correct,but what many leave voters didnt realise is the asylum seeker is different to the EU economic worker,who come to work usually for minimum wage,the asylum seeker has no interest in working and paying tax and only to scrounge,this was not stated in the leave campaign.  

They’re pretty easy to spot really. You can see immediately whenever you pass the benefits office.
Asylums are in for the full monty. Eurotrash will sign up for minimum hours on minimum wage, plus the all important benefits and universal credits etc.
The Leave campaign quite rightly showed the long queues of Merkel’s guests. Her very own species of scrounger, who would all be over to the UK at the drop of a hat.

14 hours ago, 7by7 said:

The link is there; as I said it's the underlined words in blue.

It does reinforce you point about backlogs; at least it did 9 years ago.

But it shows your follow up

to be completely false.

BTW, I've been off work sick for the last two weeks so had plenty of time to fill. But I'm back to work tomorrow, so will have far less time to devote to this forum. No doubt you and your fellows wont miss me.

I'm sure you will find enough time to post, so we don't get too lonely.

3 hours ago, Loiner said:

They’re pretty easy to spot really. You can see immediately whenever you pass the benefits office.
Asylums are in for the full monty. Eurotrash will sign up for minimum hours on minimum wage, plus the all important benefits and universal credits etc.
The Leave campaign quite rightly showed the long queues of Merkel’s guests. Her very own species of scrounger, who would all be over to the UK at the drop of a hat.

You hit the nail on the head. Once those non-EU migrants have their EU passports they'll be free to come to the generous UK. So the famous Farage poster does have more relevance than Remainers would have us believe. 

4 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Can you tell me how much control Japan has over the EU, or how much control Canada has over the EU? FTAs signed, so according to you logic the EU has given up control to those countries. 

What you should do is read up about the difference between FTAs and trading blocs (which is what we originally signed up to; i.e. the Common Market), and ever closer political union, i.e. the EU. 

1 minute ago, CG1 Blue said:

You hit the nail on the head. Once those non-EU migrants have their EU passports they'll be free to come to the generous UK. So the famous Farage poster does have more relevance than Remainers would have us believe. 

This is a real possibility, especially if some of the EU countries start dishing out passports as a means of getting the migrants to move on (to the UK).

I would agree that all civilized countries should share responsibility to offer shelter (possibly permanent) to genuine refugees and asylum-seekers who are in real danger, for any reason. However, the term "refugee" has been misused extensively to include economic migrants, who form the vast majority of this influx and are trafficked by organised groups in Europe, the Near East and Africa. The people we see in the Calais jungle are, mainly not, fleeing from any threat of death or harm. 

6 hours ago, Loiner said:

Didn’t happen did it?

UK dropped from top and above germany in the GDP table of 7 to 2nd bottom above italy...pound sunk and inflation rose..house prices stalled,worse to come if/when we leave.it will take 2-4 years to kick in, companies cannot do it in weeks/months

6 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

the mail claims only 2 were correct,then uses only 4 examples,one claims good GDP figures yet we went from 2nd to sixth so thats BS,and i dont see how cutting rates from from 0,5% to 0.25% points to a strong economy,it is what happens when the economy needs a boost not booming,anyway with the rate at 0.5% the tools to boost in the forthcoming economy and sparce,good luck mr carney your going to need it

7 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Not only the economists. Literally no day without another expert issuing warnings. Airbus, Sony, medicine shortages, martial law and army available, no new FTA yet, WTO trade potentially to take 7 years to establish,...

Project fear.Mk2

We did not join the Euro, In spite of all the dire predictions, from all the so called experts.

These same experts failed to see the 2008 Economic crisis.

2016, Project Fear.Mk 1 failed to materialize.

What will happen on the Economic front,after Brexit. No one knows,as it’s all guess work. However on the political front,sovereignty we do know for 100% certainty that things can only improve.

EF4B25AD-66A5-431F-8486-AE6CFAFB2FD5.jpeg

25 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Project fear.Mk2

We did not join the Euro, In spite of all the dire predictions, from all the so called experts.

What will happen on the Economic front,after Brexit. No one knows,as it’s all guess work. However on the political front,sovereignty we do know for 100% certainty that things can only improve.

finally you have admitted you dont know whats going to happen,so its a total gamble,the facts are several of project fear mk1s predictions did happen,same as several if not more will happen with a no deal,also this fear of a EU army was never mentioned in the campaign yet it claims no 6 spot in the list,at 5 we have the mighty fishing industry,which i would think 99.9% of leave coulndnt give a fkuc,i still havent had a reply to which EU laws offend you,this is now about the 7th request i have made,it seems there arent any.

39 minutes ago, nontabury said:

Project fear.Mk2

another point,now its a WTO brexit before it was just plain brexit,even Bojo is saying a deal isnt to far away,his attitude since winning has changed hugely,didnt have the balls to be tory leader,he knows Labour will stroll in and brexit is a farce,he had nothing to gain and everything to lose,a total fraud of a man

8 minutes ago, bomber said:

another point,now its a WTO brexit before it was just plain brexit,even Bojo is saying a deal isnt to far away,his attitude since winning has changed hugely,didnt have the balls to be tory leader,he knows Labour will stroll in and brexit is a farce,he had nothing to gain and everything to lose,a total fraud of a man

judging from what you say,

bojo ain't no fraud but rather sensible, 

nothing to gain - lots to lose - stay away - sound in my book

Archived