HUa Hin - KL Round Trip - Good Idea?

I have been staying mainly in Thailand, taking holidays in surrounding countries and coming back on Thai tourist visas for the last 3 years. I am 46. On my last entry through Don M the immigration official said this was the last time  - I should spend equal time in the UK (I am from UK) before applying again but he didnt put a warning in my passport. I am now thinking of simply doing a round trip from Hua Hin on the same day as I'm renting a condo in Hua Hin now. IS this a bad/good idea?

1 hour ago, Khun Ed said:

Thanks for the heads up Jack. Would you say a simple border crossing at Kanchanaburi would be less risk? BritMan I am in agreement but I have a GF in Thailand

Getting a visa exempt entry by land at Ban Phu Nam Ron would not be a problem. However, you are only allowed two visa exempt entries by land in any calendar year.

In your position, I would consider doing the Kuala Lumpur trip, but getting an actual tourist visa while there. Re-entering by air is definitely a risk, but much less so than a visa exempt entry by air. In the worst case where you are denied entry at Hua Hin, you would be returned to Kuala Lumpur. You could then take the train to Padang Besar, enter Thailand using your still valid tourist visa, and probably back to Hua Hin by overnight train from Hat Yai.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khun Ed said:

I have been staying mainly in Thailand, taking holidays in surrounding countries and coming back on Thai tourist visas for the last 3 years. I am 46. On my last entry through Don M the immigration official said this was the last time  - I should spend equal time in the UK (I am from UK) before applying again but he didnt put a warning in my passport. I am now thinking of simply doing a round trip from Hua Hin on the same day as I'm renting a condo in Hua Hin now. IS this a bad/good idea?

Entering with actual Tourist Visas (TR) or using the Visa Exempt Scheme (VE)?

Spending a long time in the country as a tourist is going to get scrutinised especially if using VE. It is always best to enter with a TR whenever you can as it greatly reduces the chances of being questioned or lawfully denied entry.

6 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Thanks, yes. Am I right in thinking if I return overland with a tourist visa I would only get two months?

It does not matter if you enter by air or land a tourist visa only allows a 60 day entry that can be extended for 30 days at a immigration office.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Khun Ed said:

Thanks, yes. Am I right in thinking if I return overland with a tourist visa I would only get two months?

You get 60 days from a Single Entry Tourist Visa and 30 days for Visa Exempt; by land OR air.

Either can be extended by 30 days at immigration.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

But, at the Bangkok and some other airports, as well as one land-border, you could be illegally denied-entry by an IO who has been instructed to prevent entry of those with "too much time in Thailand in the past."  There is no oversight to prevent this, so the only way to avoid the risk, is to avoid entry points run by this clique.

Misinforming again Jack. Please provide some evidence of illegal denied entries.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

All land-borders other than Poipet/Aranyaprathet are safe for entry with a Valid Tourist Visa - because they follow the published laws on the books.  Chiang Mai airport is likely also OK, based on the minimal reporting we have - but a rejected-entry by air can lead to detention and a forced-flight to your point of origin, where you could be denied, again, and sent back to the UK.  If denied by land (unlikely), you could walk back where you came from, and try another entry point.

All airports "follow the published laws on the books" too. There is no more chance of getting denied at the airport than a land border. Cases are few and far between at either and we only hear of more 'hassles' at the airport because more people enter by air; and because many long term tourists changed their MO to use air because of the previous hassles at land borders.

How many border crossings this year? Best you enter by border. 

Not long ago there was thread about fella also from hua hin. He obtained setv at Saigon and was refused entry at DM. He has used that method over 18 month period. Was flown back to Saigon and refused there because no permit for Vietnam. Point of long story, I couldn't handle the stress. You managed 3 yrs. On setv etc. Think you need to be very creative in future and bkk airports perhaps a big no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khun Ed said:

Thanks Ill follow that advice. 4 potential months on the back of two visa exempts a year is also ok

My strategy is to save your 2x land-border Visa-Exempts for cases where you go out for a Visa, the consulate changed something so you cannot get it - leaving you a way back in. 

There is also an "alert" that comes up after 6 Visa-Exempts since 2015, which I would try never to reach (it does not "reset" - counts up forever).  It might not matter at a land-border with a Tourist Visa in hand, but policies can always change anywhere, anytime, without notice.

Important to add - given the state of flux, it is wise to have a backup plan.  Spend at least a little time in Cambodia, Vietnam, and maybe the PI.  Even if you prefer it here, if suddenly uprooted, its better to know you can go somewhere you already developed a feel for.  If you spend at least a week or so out when going for a Visa, it also makes it clear you are not holding down a job (unlikely though that might be, depending on wages in your country of origin vs "under the table" jobs here).

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, elviajero said:

There is no more chance of getting denied at the airport than a land border.

I'll bite. Please provide us with the rejection rates per point of entry (airports, land borders, ports), let's say for 2018, broken down by visa type. That surely is the data you've looked at before making that statement.

17 minutes ago, Caldera said:

I'll bite. Please provide us with the rejection rates per point of entry (airports, land borders, ports), let's say for 2018, broken down by visa type. That surely is the data you've looked at before making that statement.

No. The rejection rates and warnings are having more reports esp at bkk airports. However the key is the persons history. Yes you can still obtain many setv and get around some problem entry points. Rejection rates would be meaningless unless you confined it to folk trying to live here ongoing.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Khun Ed said:

I am 46.

On 1/27/2019 at 12:23 PM, Khun Ed said:

I'm renting a condo in Hua Hin now.

Dear god! You are 46 and you live in Hua Hin? However you get your visa worked out, don't come back to Hua Hin! Get out while you are still young!:cheesy:

• Haha 2

On 1/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, NCC1701A said:

Dear god! You are 46 and you live in Hua Hin? However you get your visa worked out, don't come back to Hua Hin! Get out while you are still young!:cheesy:

)) Ive lived in Phuket, Bangkok, K. Samui before. I like it here. Peace, good sea view, empty swimming pool, Thai dolly GF.

Edited by Khun Ed