Israel, Germany upset by BNK48 singer’s swastika shirt

webfact

Israel, Germany upset by BNK48 singer’s swastika shirt

By The Nation

793edf091f68255845d66c42073748bf.jpeg

BNK48 singer Pichayapa “Namsai” Natha joins the band’s manager in a call on Israel’s ambassador to Thailand, Meir Shlomo, at the ambassador’s residence yesterday to express their apologies in person over a Nazi swastika Namsai wore during a rehearsal

AT LEAST TWO foreign envoys in Thailand have openly expressed dismay after a member of the popular all-girl singing group BNK48 sported a T-shirt bearing a Nazi swastika. 

The sister band of Japan’s AKB48 issued an apology yesterday to match the tearful one delivered earlier by 20-year-old singer Pichayapa “Namsai” Natha. It was a bad fashion choice based on ignorance, she said.

“I am saddened and feel seriously guilty,” she said, overcome with emotion and collapsing to the stage. “Please forgive me.” 

Namsai wore the shirt – featuring a Nazi battle flag with a swastika at the centre – during a rehearsal for a BNK48 concert on Friday.

The timing alone was terrible, coming just two days before International Holocaust Remembrance Day yesterday, meant to honour the victims of Germany’s World War II attempt to exterminate Europe’s Jews. 

Smadar Shapira, deputy chief of mission of Israel in Thailand, said on Twitter on Saturday that the Israeli Embassy was shocked and dismayed over the singer’s outfit, noting that the Holocaust remembrance was imminent.

She wrote that, on January 27, “the world will commemorate six million Jews who perished. Presenting Nazi symbols by the band’s singer hurt the feelings of millions around the world whose relatives were murdered by the Nazis.”

Her words were echoed by the embassy itself on Facebook. 

c34b432d329661b9ef21c0dd0deccdc4.jpeg

German Ambassador Georg Schmidt, whose country has gone to great lengths to amend for the crimes of its wartime regime, also tweeted.

“We share the shock and dismay expressed by @ShapiraSmadar from the Embassy of Israel. We invite members of #BNK48 to discuss the terror to the Nazi dictatorship with us.”

44a4827581228c0c501a935842afc739.jpeg

BNK48 management issued a written apology in response. “We would like to offer our sincere apologies for the incident on January 25 when one of the members featured a costume which included an inappropriate print,” its said. 

“We inadvertently caused dismay and distress to people affected by the … crime against humanity all over the world. In the future, we will take better precautions and make every effort to ensure that an incident of this kind never happens again.”

The manager of BNK48 also brought “Namsai” for a meeting with the ambassador of Israel, Meir Shlomo, at the latter’s residence yesterday to express their apologies in person. 

“I understand that it was an act arising from lack of knowledge and awareness, and I’m pleased that they have apologised and agreed to hold together educational activity in the future,” the ambassador said following the meeting. The BNK48 has proposed that its members join an educational workshop on the Holocaust, in order to emphasise their commitment to this important subject.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30363035

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-01-28

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, webfact said:

I am saddened and feel seriously guilty,” she said, overcome with emotion and collapsing to the stage. “Please forgive me. 

She after a part in a Thai soap opera .? Should also apologise for the turgid crap called music they inflict upon us ..

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

It was a bad fashion choice based on ignorance, she said.

Unfortunately, many choices made here are based on ignorance.

The only education they seem to want to follow, is what is shown in the the weekly 'soap operas' on television.

I am not too sure much history, geography, world affairs etc. are taught in schools here.

BNK48 To Campaign For Holocaust Awareness

By  Jintamas Saksornchai, Staff Reporter

51441790_2349638205060493_81832083616641

Pichayapa Natha of BNK48 and band manager Nattapol Bawornwatana, at left, meet today with Israeli Ambassador Meir Shlomo and his wife Bracha Shlomo at the ambassador’s residence in Bangkok. Photo: Israel in Thailand / Facebook

BANGKOK — Thai idol group BNK48 will participate in educational campaigns promoting awareness of the holocaust and anti-semitism, Israel’s embassy announced Sunday.

The agreement came a day after Pichayapa “Namsai” Natha, 19, gave a tearful apology on stage for wearing a Nazi-themed jersey at a recent concert rehearsal, prompting criticism.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2019/01/27/bnk48-to-campaign-for-holocaust-awareness/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2019-01-28

13 minutes ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK — Thai idol group BNK48 will participate in educational campaigns promoting awareness of the holocaust and anti-semitism, Israel’s embassy announced Sunday.

That would require acknowledging there is history outside of Thailand. Not sure that will be comprehended by many.

I wonder why WW2 is not taught in Thai schools. Did they not get invaded by Japan in 1941 and later form alliance with them? Or is it more a case
of 'yeah that bit didn't look too well on us I.e loss of face, so we'll just not mention anything about it.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am not too sure much history, geography, world affairs etc. are taught in schools here.

A little bit of geography. History, other than purely Thai history (and a heavily bowdlerised version at that), virtually none.

1 hour ago, wellred said:

I wonder why WW2 is not taught in Thai schools. Did they not get invaded by Japan in 1941 and later form alliance with them? Or is it more a case
of 'yeah that bit didn't look too well on us I.e loss of face, so we'll just not mention anything about it.

Ssshhhh. Never happened! 

The reason behind this is simple, it is the lack of education about anything/ anywhere outside of Thailand.

My wife saw this and asked me, why is it a problem, and is israel a communist country.

Well that reflects on education, or lack of education.

5 minutes ago, colinneil said:

The reason behind this is simple, it is the lack of education about anything/ anywhere outside of Thailand.

My wife saw this and asked me, why is it a problem, and is israel a communist country.

So now this incident has provided you with an opportunity to try and make things a little better.

Just now, SheungWan said:

So now this incident has provided you with an opportunity to try and make things a little better.

Yes but my wife is a school director, now if the director knows nothing about other counties, what chance have children got to learn.

The education here only focuses on things Thai, nothing else anywhere matters.

11 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

8 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Yes but my wife is a school director, now if the director knows nothing about other counties, what chance have children got to learn.

If the person concerned is a school director, then looking forwards, your opportunity to improve understanding might stand a chance of success if you take it.

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Of course nothing else matters.

Thailand is very insular, except when it realises the outside world has something it wants - foreign cash, and also foreign technology in order for them to worship their new god - the mobile phone.

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

oh, I don't know.  I never had an education past first year of high school but someone did once mention to me that a swastika was found on the nose of the Sphinx or some other historic place and that it represented the ancient number 10.  Was it in Hebrew perhaps?

Just watching this circus on the morning fantasy Channel 3 news

As my wife openly admits, until she came to the US as a teenager she had no notion of WW2, let alone what the Hell a Nazi or swastika was, or meant.

She's also pretty open to the fact that until history classes in her US High School she really didn't understand the Pacific war, Japan and Thailand's part in it.

So small wonder a bunch of pretty girls have absolutely zero sensitivity to what this symbolizes for most of us

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Of course nothing else matters.

Thailand is very insular, except when it realises the outside world has something it wants - foreign cash, and also foreign technology in order for them to worship their new god - the mobile phone.

The abuse of Thais and Thailand is growing in this thread, gaining momentum .

Quite unpleasant to wake up on Monday morning and reading all the critical comments .

Think that I'll get myself a coffee and play candy crush on facebook and not read anymore comments in this thread , I wouldnt be surprised if within a few pages , someone will be suggesting that Thais should suffer the same fate as the Jews .

Makes for depressing reading 

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Quite unpleasant to wake up on Monday morning and reading all the critical comments .

Think that I'll get myself a coffee and play candy crush on facebook and not read anymore comments in this thread , I wouldnt be surprised if within a few pages , someone will be suggesting that Thais should suffer the same fate as the Jews .

Yea but better than listening to my wife complaining about absolutely everything.  :cheesy:

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Bye :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

lol at people asking if they teach world history in thai school. they completely ignore world war 2 as let's not forget which side they were really on. the japanese were given free reign to do as they please. 

True, but not forgetting the underground resistance movement, the Seri Thai:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Thai_Movement

Lots of people saying we need to educate the kids about the world they live in.

Have a chat with a Thai teacher and listen to what they know about the outside world. Educate the teachers first.

If Thai teachers were even remotely interested in anything outside Thailand, they would probably learn English and attempt to speak it sometimes. 

They might be able to communicate with someone who had the misfortune of not being born Thai. Then they could pass on a little knowledge on to the kids.

Archived