Israel, Germany upset by BNK48 singer’s swastika shirt

webfact

34 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

The real story not spoken is the lack of awareness or education of the history that would have ensured that nobody would wear these items. 

I think the lack of history education here has only been pointed out/commented on in about 100+ prior posts in this and related threads on this episode.

To label her ignorance as racism is blowing everything out of proportion

And to the contrary, I don't recall any poster here labeling the girl's actions as racist or racism.  Ignorance, yes, many times over.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GeoMill said:

European history*

Europe isn't the center of the world. A concept hard to accept for many westerns.

Probably for the same reason that we (Dutch) had to find out about Pearl Harbor through Hollywood, and not our textbooks in school? The pacific part of the WW just wasnt significant enough to us.

Speak for yourself please. WW2 was very significant to the Dutch. the "Jappen kampen" f.i.

to them (99%) thailand is the whole world. that is how their society is, period. if you believe in national sovereignty let them do as they see fit. thailand does not tell other countries what to do so why should other countries tell them what to do?
Thailand does not....WHAT?
Not too long ago, THAILAND demanded an apology from a Dutch company, who printed Buddha-images on the OUTSIDE of portable loos!
Thai (officials) are offended by everybody and their Aunt, about EVERYTHING! They wanted Singapore to stop a Songkhran- festival!
Yeah...Thailand: the beacon of tolerance!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Intresting as some support her some don't support her some just don't care, the important thing to note is that you will always have the two differing opinions wheather it's something like this or something worse than this. Some see good, some see bad, some see evil, some see good, which way you go is the way you will go for the reasoning you have, but always be wise. 

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

You speak a language of feminine hygiene products???

Not understand my post?  I was ASKED if I spoke the German/Austrian language.  If I spelt the word incorrectly it might be a clue that I don't.  But I did have a gf called Neva in a previous life and was told her name was associated with feminine hygiene products (or similar) in some European country.

10 hours ago, sanemax said:

No I didnt , I said in post 269 "No, the Nazi swastika was invented by Adolf Hitler and solely used by the Nazis" and you replied that that was "Hogwash" .

We were quite clearly talking about the Nazi swastika flag , although you seem to think that the ancient swastika and the German swastika are the same thing and they are quite different 

Just to requote your post that I was replying to, as you seem to forget:

OK, you go and find a non Nazi identical to the Nazi swastika used by people other than the Nazis and post it on here .

(BTW , Hitler himself designed the Nazi swastika)

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're identical in many images both ancient and modern.

Both the orientation and the direction of rotation is fairly random.

OK, post an image up of a ancient swastika that is identical to the Adolf Hitler designed Nazi swastika  .   

(exactly the same, not similar )

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

OK, post an image up of a ancient swastika that is identical to the Adolf Hitler designed Nazi swastika  .   

(exactly the same, not similar )

1908 postcard

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1908-vintage-american-indian-swastika-496622520

Here's another, early 1900s (Hitler would have been about 5 years old if he designed this), and a Xmas card from the same time.

indian.jpg

xmas.jpg

34 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They're identical in many images both ancient and modern.

Both the orientation and the direction of rotation is fairly random.

Can we stop this BS, now?

What she was wearing was NOT a random design of a random religious sign!

It was - in color, design and significance- THE GERMAN NAVY NAZI FLAG IN T-SHIRT FORM!

End of!

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1908 postcard

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1908-vintage-american-indian-swastika-496622520

Here's another, early 1900s (Hitler would have been about 5 years old if he designed this)

indian.jpg

Lets play a game of spot the difference 

You go first , can you spot any differences between your swastika and this Nazi swastika ?

Image result for nazi swastika

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, I've had enough of you, on my ignore list.

Ok, here's some differences :

One is black, the other one is blue .

One has a red background , the other doesnt .

One is in a white circle , the other one isnt .

One has bigger spaces between the swastiaka arms than the other .

Four differences between the two 

20 hours ago, sanemax said:

You are just showing your ignorance  , if you were to read the Mishnah (published 643 BC) , which states the rules of Shabbat , you will know that tweeting isnt forbidden , it makes no mention of tweeting as being forbidden .

Writing two letters is forbidden , but theres no mention of typing being forbidden .

Switching on electrical appliances is forbidden , although its OK to use battery powered appliances .

Its acceptable to follow Shabbat and also to  Tweet 

I stand corrected, did not know that Twitter was around 643BC already. 

16 hours ago, DM07 said:
On 1/28/2019 at 6:27 PM, atyclb said:

to them (99%) thailand is the whole world. that is how their society is, period. if you believe in national sovereignty let them do as they see fit. thailand does not tell other countries what to do so why should other countries tell them what to do?

Thailand does not....WHAT?
Not too long ago, THAILAND demanded an apology from a Dutch company, who printed Buddha-images on the OUTSIDE of portable loos!
Thai (officials) are offended by everybody and their Aunt, about EVERYTHING! They wanted Singapore to stop a Songkhran- festival!
Yeah...Thailand: the beacon of tolerance!

stuff like that, little silly things but not trying to alter another society

On 1/28/2019 at 8:04 AM, Trouble said:

I was sharing some wine yesterday with a 40 year old Thai female with a college education. She lives here in the USA.  We got talking about the Vietnam war when she saw some pictures of me in Vietnam. She had next to no knowledge of the Vietnam War or the Cambodia situation with the Khmer Rouge and the slaughter there.  How would any one expect people to know about WWII now 74 years in the past when they don't know about something 50 years ago in their own neck of the woods.  What is reality is that few care about history unless they were directly involved so you can figure that every 70 or 80 years there are mostly people that don't know anything past their own lifetime. That's the way it is.  Don't blame the Thais, it's the same everywhere.  Ever seen TV people go around and ask American college age people what is the significance of the 4th of July?  Half of them don't get the answer right. Sad but true.

You make a good point. However, not sure that excuses the Education ministry from excluding world history and world geography from the curriculum (with the possible exception of two or three hours per year devoted to this). They are incredibly useful subjects, very practical for use later in life, and the subjects go a long way to allow the youth to be aware of the outside world, and to generate curiosity. Yet, that may be the objective precisely. The deliberate lack of awareness of the world at large, and the stunting of the brain that goes along with that. Also, it does appear that curiosity is actually discouraged, at the highest levels. 

46 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

You make a good point. However, not sure that excuses the Education ministry from excluding world history and world geography from the curriculum (with the possible exception of two or three hours per year devoted to this). They are incredibly useful subjects, very practical for use later in life, and the subjects go a long way to allow the youth to be aware of the outside world, and to generate curiosity. Yet, that may be the objective precisely. The deliberate lack of awareness of the world at large, and the stunting of the brain that goes along with that. Also, it does appear that curiosity is actually discouraged, at the highest levels. 

A very good point. I could never see the usefulness of History (and most Geography) in school. Now I am older and hopefully wiser. It stands out to me now that these are probably the most useful subjects of all whenn shaping a population.

Kudos.

6 hours ago, sanemax said:

Twitter wasnt around in 643 BC and the rules of Shabbat havent been updated since then, and theres nothing in the Shabbat rules that say twittering is forbidden 

Don't get me wrong but do you understand what you wrote? Obviously Sabbath cannot forbid twittering but the operation of gizmos (toilet tank flushers, elevator buttons, light switches) are all forbidden - albeit also not being around BC643. Must rest my case as, whatever I do, I cannot understand it for you! 

19 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Don't get me wrong but do you understand what you wrote? Obviously Sabbath cannot forbid twittering but the operation of gizmos (toilet tank flushers, elevator buttons, light switches) are all forbidden - albeit also not being around BC643. Must rest my case as, whatever I do, I cannot understand it for you! 

As a Jewish man, I have never understood the symbology, nor the practical aspect of observing orthodox practice. My grandfather was an Orthodox Jew. As a kid, I used to watch in wonder, at his practices. How does any of this impress the Almighty creator? How is God touched by any of these rituals? Can you explain? Even Kosher food. I just do not get it. I realize that some meat is butchered in a special way. But, some products are simply approved by a Rabbi. What is that all about?

I do not ask these questions with any disrespect. I have alot of affection for the Jewish faith, and many of it's people. But, I have never possessed an understanding of the ritualistic observances of the more orthodox. 

On 1/28/2019 at 9:00 PM, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I have had at least two Thai girlfriends in recent years, who did not know what I was talking about when I mentioned "World War 2".   Unbelievable!

True. That lack of world history and world geography in the school curriculum is nothing short of an intentional abomination. Keep the masses dumb, please. That is the credo of the elites and the leaders here. 

21 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

True. That lack of world history and world geography in the school curriculum is nothing short of an intentional abomination. Keep the masses dumb, please. That is the credo of the elites and the leaders here. 

Worked for them pretty well too, judging by the state of education in Thai schools and universities.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:03 PM, hyku1147 said:

If students were shown the horrific footage of the Einsatzgruppen (mobile killing squads*) and Treblinka, Auschwitz, et al, then they would learn most of what they need to know.

*"Einsatzgruppen were Schutzstaffel paramilitary death squads of Nazi Germany that were responsible for 2 million killings, primarily by shooting, during World War II."

Which 2 million people? Not objecting to you, just curious.

Do they not learn anything at all in schools here?   WW2 happened in Thailand too. Surely the word Nazi must have been mentioned and they have seen the picture of the flag?   

Thais have a human brain like the rest of us, sometimes you wonder if there's nothing in there. 

Archived