Israel, Germany upset by BNK48 singer’s swastika shirt

webfact

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The abuse of Thais and Thailand is growing in this thread, gaining momentum .

Quite unpleasant to wake up on Monday morning and reading all the critical comments .

Think that I'll get myself a coffee and play candy crush on facebook and not read anymore comments in this thread , I wouldnt be surprised if within a few pages , someone will be suggesting that Thais should suffer the same fate as the Jews .

Makes for depressing reading 

I have cut down significantly on my use of Thaivisa and other such media of late and dammit, I feel better for it. You might want to give it a try.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

lol at people asking if they teach world history in thai school. they completely ignore world war 2 as let's not forget which side they were really on. the japanese were given free reign to do as they please. 

The Japanese had money.  They were closely followed by GI Joe who also had money.  Next comes the Xi dynasty because they have money.  

Ignorance is bliss.

14 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The abuse of Thais and Thailand is growing in this thread, gaining momentum .

Quite unpleasant to wake up on Monday morning and reading all the critical comments .

Think that I'll get myself a coffee and play candy crush on facebook and not read anymore comments in this thread , I wouldnt be surprised if within a few pages , someone will be suggesting that Thais should suffer the same fate as the Jews .

Makes for depressing reading 

You are getting excited for what reason?

Did i say anything wrong? No i stated a correct fact, if you dont like the truth, you go and play childish games like candy crush, that is about as sad as Thais knowing nothing about the rest of the world.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, many choices made here are based on ignorance.

The only education they seem to want to follow, is what is shown in the the weekly 'soap operas' on television.

I am not too sure much history, geography, world affairs etc. are taught in schools here.

I couldn't help wondering if the average Thai would know where Germany is or  what it did in WWII that upset people.

3 minutes ago, masuk said:

I couldn't help wondering if the average Thai would know where Germany is or  what it did in WWII that upset people.

Germany is part of that mystical magical 'farangland'

That's sad I know, but horribly true!

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, many choices made here are based on ignorance.

The only education they seem to want to follow, is what is shown in the the weekly 'soap operas' on television.

I am not too sure much history, geography, world affairs etc. are taught in schools here.

I can answer that, basically none, it's not on the central curriculum, which must be followed by all schools.

11 minutes ago, jspill said:

The Swastika has been a Hindu & Buddhist symbol used all over Asia for over a millennium before a bunch of German dudes rotated it slightly for a few decades. Israel is way too sensitive

When all else fails throw in the "too sensitive" dog whistle.

19 minutes ago, baboon said:

I have cut down significantly on my use of Thaivisa and other such media of late and dammit, I feel better for it. You might want to give it a try.

Good advice.

I'm going to cut down too, but I still have some complaining to do. Not finished yet.

17 minutes ago, baboon said:

Point taken, keep in mind that:

- News items (except for items direct from reuters / AFP etc., both biased) are very poorly written.

- The rest of the content on Thaivisa (perhaps 90+% of all content) is constructed / posted by TV members. And the negative brigade have been out in full force recently, much more than I have ever seen before. A story appears and it's instantly followed by several / dozens of negative posts with no balance at all. 

12 minutes ago, jspill said:

The Swastika has been a Hindu & Buddhist symbol used all over Asia for over a millennium before a bunch of German dudes rotated it slightly for a few decades. Israel is way too sensitive

No, the Nazi swastika is unique the the Nazis  , very different to all the ancient swastikas and both have very different meanings .  

20 minutes ago, colinneil said:

You are getting excited for what reason?

Did i say anything wrong? No i stated a correct fact, if you dont like the truth, you go and play childish games like candy crush, that is about as sad as Thais knowing nothing about the rest of the world.

I'm going out to buy some anti depressants , I woke up in a good mood , read thai visa and suddenly the Worlds a miserable place again , full of people moaning and complaining .

22 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

Lots of people saying we need to educate the kids about the world they live in.

Have a chat with a Thai teacher and listen to what they know about the outside world. Educate the teachers first.

If Thai teachers were even remotely interested in anything outside Thailand, they would probably learn English and attempt to speak it sometimes. 

They might be able to communicate with someone who had the misfortune of not being born Thai. Then they could pass on a little knowledge on to the kids.

My opinion, FWIW is the lack of critical thinking - by teachers as well.

I see it as a tool that has been used here for centuries by the those at the top of the system, to keep the peasants down.

Until that changes and the general public can start to think for themselves, sadly not much will improve.

I was sharing some wine yesterday with a 40 year old Thai female with a college education. She lives here in the USA.  We got talking about the Vietnam war when she saw some pictures of me in Vietnam. She had next to no knowledge of the Vietnam War or the Cambodia situation with the Khmer Rouge and the slaughter there.  How would any one expect people to know about WWII now 74 years in the past when they don't know about something 50 years ago in their own neck of the woods.  What is reality is that few care about history unless they were directly involved so you can figure that every 70 or 80 years there are mostly people that don't know anything past their own lifetime. That's the way it is.  Don't blame the Thais, it's the same everywhere.  Ever seen TV people go around and ask American college age people what is the significance of the 4th of July?  Half of them don't get the answer right. Sad but true.

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I'm going out to buy some anti depressants , I woke up in a good mood , read thai visa and suddenly the Worlds a miserable place again , full of people moaning and complaining .

Why are you confusing my correct comments, with moaning/complaining?

I was not moaning, just stating facts.

Every year someone or some place in Thailand pulls this crap .

every year it creates a crap storm all over social media 

every year someone or some place apologises and guess what?

the following year, someone or some place does it again. 

Typical example, helping a school out because of classes without a teacher years ago, I tried a geography lesson.   A compass point was not known before,  Singapore was NORTH of Thailand, The Himalaya's were animals.   It is not just history but world knowledge is non starter.

17 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Point taken, keep in mind that:

- News items (except for items direct from reuters / AFP etc., both biased) are very poorly written.

- The rest of the content on Thaivisa (perhaps 90+% of all content) is constructed / posted by TV members. And the negative brigade have been out in full force recently, much more than I have ever seen before. A story appears and it's instantly followed by several / dozens of negative posts with no balance at all. 

People just aren't listening to one another anymore. They take one side of an issue and bellow slogans and insults at the other. It is wearing and saps the spirit.

Alas, Thaivisa is by no means the only offender. It is everywhere, now. 

3 minutes ago, baboon said:

People just aren't listening to one another anymore. They take one side of an issue and bellow slogans and insults at the other. It is wearing and saps the spirit.

Alas, Thaivisa is by no means the only offender. It is everywhere, now. 

Agree, and just one scenario, I've asked my uni students many times (many other professors asked the same questions:

- Who has read a newspaper, hard copy of on-line in the last 7 days? None.

- How many of your parents have read a newspaper, hard copy of on-line in the last 7 days? None.

- Do you or your parents, around 9.00 pm, watch thai news on TV? Non e/ didn't know there was tV news programs.

- Do you get news feeds on facebook / twitter etc? Do you read the? Delete.

- About 6 months back we had 2 visiting professors from Australia with us for 1 month. This same subject came up. Questions to Australian uni age kids the same as above. Responses the same as above. 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

My Singaporean friends know the Thais aided the Japanese is shipping PoWs from Singapore to work on the Death Railway including their ancestors. 

Another bit of their grubby history that isn't taught in their history books but people don't forget that easily. 

The problem is the parts the Thais are forced to remember about their own history are fabrications and myths and aren't actually based on any facts whatsoever. 

The World has moved on from 1945 , that is history now .

8 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Agree, and just one scenario, I've asked my uni students many times (many other professors asked the same questions:

- Who has read a newspaper, hard copy of on-line in the last 7 days? None.

- How many of your parents have read a newspaper, hard copy of on-line in the last 7 days? None.

- Do you or your parents, around 9.00 pm, watch thai news on TV? Non e/ didn't know there was tV news programs.

- Do you get news feeds on facebook / twitter etc? Do you read the? Delete.

- About 6 months back we had 2 visiting professors from Australia with us for 1 month. This same subject came up. Questions to Australian uni age kids the same as above. Responses the same as above. 

Sorry but i find it difficult to believe that Australian university students or their parents don't read the news in any form.

I do believe it about Thais though.

I think the Thais have currently more pressing problems then some singer in a swastika T-Shirt on a rehearsal stage.
If they are serious about fighting fascism - then where is the German and Israel’s Ambassadors outrage about the rise of fascist elements in this country intimidating, imprisoning and murdering critics and political opponents ?
Oh yes that would be bad for business - never mind that the fascists elements in good old Nazi fashion intimidate, assault and murder right in front of their eyes in this country - that’s not our business - don’t let political prisoners, some bodies in a river or assaults and a burning car spoil a nice cocktail party - where is the outrage?
This is how Hitler started out and nobody but a few dared to speak out - but maybe they can’t remember !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Well for me apology accepted as in this case her ignorance pretty much excuses her, having said that I wonder what she liked about the shirt to ware it and also why no one in rehearsal picked up on it as surely there would have been someone around that would have known what it represents. 

I am just thinking out loud on a phone that has the volume turned down. 

Archived