Israel, Germany upset by BNK48 singer’s swastika shirt

webfact

It is one of the most common symbols on Mesopotamian coins. The icon has been of spiritual significance to Indian religions such as Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism. The use of the swastika by the Bön faith of Tibet, as well as Chinese Taoism, can also be traced to Buddhist influence.

It's been around for 5,000 years and used by a ruthless regime for a dozen years or so.

While talking of education, I don't remember being taught anything regarding the history of Japan, China, in fact most of this part of the world when I was at school in the UK.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Totally nonsensical comment, my wife never bought her position.

The fact you have not been on here long, you have no idea, as i have posted in the past, my wife and self went to live in a remote mountain village for 15 months rather than pay the 500.000 baht demanded.

Also she has never ever tried to line her own pockets.

With respect Colin, it's certainly true that there will be some good School Directors, and that your lady wife might well be one of them. I think the OP was opining that many (perhaps the majority) are not so good, and I agree with him, having seen it in action, after all, you point out yourself that money was demanded and (quite rightly) refused..

Thailand  is a very strange country sometimes.

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

It's been around for 5,000 years and used by a ruthless regime for a dozen years or so.

While talking of education, I don't remember being taught anything regarding the history of Japan, China, in fact most of this part of the world when I was at school in the UK.

No it wasn't. The swastika used in religions was (as far as I'm aware) not the 'black. (anti-clockwise) swastika version which the Nazis adopted, changed and then used. The Nazis incorporated a lot of occult symbols and ideas in their development, this was one of them.

6 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

I agree that Thai students should be educated about history, including the two WW of last century. However, this unfortunate “event” should not lead to the abuse of Thais and Thailand.

One thing that really shook me is what my young daughter told me. She said that one of her friends wrote on her Facebook that although she feels sorry for the Jews who perished All other living Jews are trash in view of their “crimes” against the Palestinians. This not only shook me, but showed me clearly why antisemitism is increasing around the world. People who know me and who read my letters and blogs, know that I do sympethise with the Palestinians, but remarks of this nature by a Muslim Thai student make me think about the need to educate the Muslims worldwide, that one evil does not make the other evil right. This made me understand the attitude of some Jewish organizations vis-Avis Muslims. We all, Thais as well as all of us, must learn

to stop hating others, must learn to understand others’ needs. If our world has hope for a peaceful existence, education of all this must start with the

youth.

Last,

but not least, praise to the group for their proper attitude and apologies to the Israeli Ambassador, and to the public at large.

Your daughter's friend should have said she disagreed with Israel's treatment of the Palestinians. That's not anti semitic as I'm sure you already know.

2 different things.

7 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

She after a part in a Thai soap opera .? Should also apologise for the turgid crap called music they inflict upon us ..

So wearing a swastika only insults Germany and Israel eh !  well Germany created it by reversing the original

so they should keep quiet,   Israel / Jews think that they were only victims in WW2 , nothing else of importance occurred > really

13 minutes ago, abrahamzvi said:

I agree that Thai students should be educated about history, including the two WW of last century. However, this unfortunate “event” should not lead to the abuse of Thais and Thailand.

One thing that really shook me is what my young daughter told me. She said that one of her friends wrote on her Facebook that although she feels sorry for the Jews who perished All other living Jews are trash in view of their “crimes” against the Palestinians. This not only shook me, but showed me clearly why antisemitism is increasing around the world. People who know me and who read my letters and blogs, know that I do sympethise with the Palestinians, but remarks of this nature by a Muslim Thai student make me think about the need to educate the Muslims worldwide, that one evil does not make the other evil right. This made me understand the attitude of some Jewish organizations vis-Avis Muslims. We all, Thais as well as all of us, must learn

to stop hating others, must learn to understand others’ needs. If our world has hope for a peaceful existence, education of all this must start with the

youth.

Last,

but not least, praise to the group for their proper attitude and apologies to the Israeli Ambassador, and to the public at large.

There's nothing wrong with Islam and there's nothing wrong with Judaism, both of which have more in common than is generally appreciated. On the other hand, there's quite a lot wrong with some of the people who claim to follow both religions, and re-write to make both into something they never were.

Just now, HalfLight said:

There's nothing wrong with Islam and there's nothing wrong with Judaism, both of which have more in common than is generally appreciated. On the other hand, there's quite a lot wrong with some of the people who claim to follow both religions, and re-write both in their own image.

Wrong,  all religions are evil

and the ones that pretend they are not religions.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Thailand is very insular, except when it realises the outside world has something it wants

Absolutely everything that Thailand uses comes from overseas. The Thais have never invented or produced anything in their entire history. If it wasn't for things foreign they'd still be living in the jungle making fire by rubbing two sticks together. Yet they believe they are the superior race. Quite incredible.

43 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

"Smadar Shapira, deputy chief of mission of Israel in Thailand, said on Twitter on Saturday" ........ 

Must have forgotten that the shofar is blown to flute in Sabbath (from Friday's sunset to Saturday evening appearance of the three stars on the sky) which prohibits explicitly any work or use of appliances. 

Most religions are only a badge which people wear when convenient.. This guy, by working on the Sabbath brings his own religion into disrepute. One law for some, and another law for others is not a good position to adopt if you want to be taken seriously.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Absolutely everything that Thailand uses comes from overseas. The Thais have never invented or produced anything in their entire history. If it wasn't for things foreign they'd still be living in the jungle making fire by rubbing two sticks together. Yet they believe they are the superior race. Quite incredible.

Red Bull? Pot noodles?

3 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Wrong,  all religions are evil

and the ones that pretend they are not religions.

Not in their pristine form, though you may mean something other than what you say, and I appreciate that. I do agree that all religions are a placebo for a multitude of things which ail people, and I do believe that all are fakes which rely on a genetic aberration in people which predispose them to beliefs and which make them vulnerable to faith fraud, which religions then mercilessly exploit for the  purpose of accumulating wealth and power.

11 minutes ago, Chippy151 said:

Your daughter's friend should have said she disagreed with Israel's treatment of the Palestinians. That's not anti semitic as I'm sure you already know.

2 different things.

Although there are efforts currently to change the definition of ant-semitism to include criticism of the Israeli government, which at present it does not. Please God the efforts fail because it would only enhance the ability of Israel to mug other populations.

"Smadar Shapira, deputy chief of mission of Israel in Thailand, said on Twitter on Saturday" ........ 

Must have forgotten that the shofar is blown to flute in Sabbath (from Friday's sunset to Saturday evening appearance of the three stars on the sky) which prohibits explicitly any work or use of appliances. 
Why do you assume he's an observant Jew just because he's an Israeli?
Israel is not a theocracy and without secular Jews Israel wouldn't have ever existed.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, car720 said:

oh, I don't know.  I never had an education past first year of high school but someone did once mention to me that a swastika was found on the nose of the Sphinx or some other historic place and that it represented the ancient number 10.  Was it in Hebrew perhaps?

Just the other day my eyes were working their way down a lovely set of legs, whilst waiting to be served at the 24 shop, when they came across a swastika tattoo on an ankle.... I was surprised, to say the least, so I came home and asked google about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Modern western culture has a problem with the symbol.... but historically, it’s supposedly a symbol of well being, 1000’s of years old.

personally, I think the popular yang yang symbol is one of the worst symbols one can tattoo on ones self, as its misogynistic.... but ironically, women seem to love them. (Duality. Female. Black. Evil)

education level is a factor of wealth.... the average Thai is not that wealthy compared to the average westerner... so... throw not the stones. (Edit... car720... that is most definitely not a dig at your post... I was using it to bounce onto the meaning of a swastika, nothing else)

8E171C21-F6F7-4F0B-B278-4C9EFD1C8D6E.png

7 hours ago, webfact said:

It was a bad fashion choice based on ignorance, she said.

It was both. Ignorance and a bad fashion choice. On a deeper level I wonder does the educational system here in Thailand 'miseducate' students about history or do they get any history lessons at all. I really find it hard to believe these band members did not understand the meaning behind the Swastika. 

9 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Just the other day my eyes were working their way down a lovely set of legs, whilst waiting to be served at the 24 shop, when they came across a swastika tattoo on an ankle.... I was surprised, to say the least, so I came home and asked google about it

Modern western culture has a problem with the symbol.... but historically, it’s supposedly a symbol of well being, 1000’s of years old.

personally, I think the popular yang yang symbol is one of the worst symbols one can tattoo on ones self, as its misogynistic.... but ironically, women seem to love them. (Duality. Female. Black. Evil)

education level is a factor of wealth.... the average Thai is not that wealthy compared to the average westerner... so... throw not the stones. (Edit... car720... that is most definitely not a dig at your post... I was using it to bounce onto the meaning of a swastika, nothing else)

8E171C21-F6F7-4F0B-B278-4C9EFD1C8D6E.png

I disagree with your comment ref the Yin-Yang (I'm sure there's a name for it but I don't know what it is, I'm not a student of Eastern Religious thought), and I disagree with the wikipedia fragment. They're both wrong

10 minutes ago, Jimdandy said:

It was both. Ignorance and a bad fashion choice. On a deeper level I wonder does the educational system here in Thailand 'miseducate' students about history or do they get any history lessons at all. I really find it hard to believe these band members did not understand the meaning behind the Swastika. 

It's possible. Thai history (real and fake) is the only bit of history these people are taught. Another country which believes it attract the benevolence of a deity. Wrongly in my opinion. No deity worthy of the title would want to see his children turn out like so many Thais have turned out.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

These people need to grow up and get a life. Stop being victims, stop being perpetually offended by everything. The Swastika has been around in many forms for centuries and pre dates Evil Adolf by hundreds if not thousands of years. But as usual, the "Chosen" will milk sympathy and attention at any opportunity to help them keep their monetary exploitation machine going - We will still be "FORCED" to remember in a thousand years as long as it is good for their publicity. Germany on the other hand needs to get off its knees, grow a spine and a pair of balls and stand up for once and tell these people is ENOUGH is ENOUGH - else they will be forced to their knees prostrate before the "Chosen" for eternity. There are enough problems in the world without these sycophants making even more.

Nazism is clearly alive and well

6 hours ago, Chang_paarp said:

BANGKOK — Thai idol group BNK48 will participate in educational campaigns promoting awareness of the holocaust and anti-semitism, Israel’s embassy announced Sunday.

This should be the job of the EDUCATION SYSTEM, not some halfwit pop star who clearly knows sweet <deleted> about anything important or pertinent...and THAT is exactly why she and many of her fellow compatriots make these terrible blunders and social faux pas in the first place. Ridiculous, yet predictable. The history of the 20th century, particularly WWII is very important for all to learn, and not just in Thailand, but internationally. The issue is here, that they don't seem to have even a basic understanding of it, or indeed, even the knowledge that these monumental events took place within living memory, or their own country's place in it all. It's very sad. If you're not knowledgeable of your own past you can't begin to engineer your future. 

Before all the collective of morons on this forum run off calling down Thailand, remember that 30% of Americans don't know what the Holocaust is either. That might be expected from the failing American Empire, but what is more disturbing is that the same percentage of Europeans display the same level of  ignorance as well. 

1 minute ago, Fairynuff said:

Look around....you don’t need to look too far, from less of course you don’t want to see what’s there

Better to see what isn't there I suppose... You need to read more carefully. Pay more attention to fact and less to what someone tells you about the great Nazi resurgence. It doesn't exist.

Just now, HalfLight said:

Better to see what isn't there I suppose... You need to read more carefully. Pay more attention to fact and less to what someone tells you about the great Nazi resurgence. It doesn't exist.

I rest my case. A denier is a sympathiser

I will repeat what we, as foreigners know apart from a few ignorant extreme right-wingers, that the swastika, as invoked by the Nazis, is no joking matter. 50 million people died in the European second world war, all up and on all sides of the conflict. 50 million is no insignificant number  and most of us would have lost family and friends through this terrible event.  And then add the Asia Pacific conflict with Japan in which Thais perished and they do not know about this event. I have talked to Thais who do not know about that Vietnam War or Pol Pot existed within the last half-century, and next door to Thailand, so how are they ever know how to avoid or resist repeating history.

These are nothing but silly little children and most Thais will wonder what all the fuss is about and will be forgotten in a few minutes of more brain cloud descending.

SAD indeed. Very Sad! (and loss of face )

54 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Red Bull? Pot noodles?

Red Bull was an unknown local drink until it was bought by an Austrian and marketed properly. Without a foreigner becoming involved no-one would ever have heard of it. Same as an American establishing the Thai silk industry. Pot noodles were invented by a Taiwanese-Japanese named Momofuku Ando, according to Wikipedia. Nothing at all to do with Thailand. They just copied it.

8 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

She after a part in a Thai soap opera .? Should also apologise for the turgid crap called music they inflict upon us ..

But (overcome with emotion and collapsing on the stage).... a very 'PC' response to the criticism, can't be faulted! 

Archived