Israel, Germany upset by BNK48 singer’s swastika shirt

webfact

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Totally over the top. :bah:

Kids being stupid, that's ok. naughty imps.

Thailand is at fault,

teach your kids about the real world 

Not just the little insignificant world of Thailand. :bah:

to them (99%) thailand is the whole world. that is how their society is, period. if you believe in national sovereignty let them do as they see fit. thailand does not tell other countries what to do so why should other countries tell them what to do?

Much ado about nothing. The girl surely was unaware and meant no offense. Not her fault she doesn't know the history of the world. Most Thais are ignorant to most of the rest of the world...save for the fortunate few whom get to live in & educated in Western countries. 

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

thailand does not tell other countries what to do so why should other countries tell them what to do?

This is not an issue of respecting national sovereignty...

This is an issue of a private citizen/public figure, ignorantly, advertising the symbol of an abhorrent regime that plunged the world into war, and had its master plan to exterminate entire religious and ethnic groups that it could get under its control. And in fact, to destroy the national sovereignty of all the nations that it invaded and conquered.

1 minute ago, Skeptic7 said:

Much ado about nothing. The girl surely was unaware and meant no offense. Not her fault she doesn't know the history of the world. Most Thais are ignorant to most of the rest of the world...save for the fortunate few whom get to live in & educated in Western countries. 

Ignorance of evil isn't a free pass to advertise and promote it.

And that's not the position the Thai authorities take when tourists unknowingly do things that offend their nation and its icons, like making shoes with material from the Thai flag or doing stuff with Buddhist symbols and statues, etc etc.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
22 minutes ago, atyclb said:

thailand does not tell other countries what to do so why should other countries tell them what to do?

This is not an issue of respecting national sovereignty...

This is an issue of a private citizen/public figure, ignorantly, advertising the symbol of an abhorrent regime that plunged the world into war, and had its master plan to exterminate entire religious and ethnic groups that it could get under its control. And in fact, to destroy the national sovereignty of all the nations that it invaded and conquered.

i responded to below

12 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Totally over the top. 

Kids being stupid, that's ok. naughty imps.

Thailand is at fault,

teach your kids about the real world 

Not just the little insignificant world of Thailand. 

45 minutes ago, atyclb said:

to them (99%) thailand is the whole world. that is how their society is, period. if you believe in national sovereignty let them do as they see fit. thailand does not tell other countries what to do so why should other countries tell them what to do?

what a nonsense that all is.

They don't because they know they would lose 100%

and it would brake there little silly face,  thats why.

i'm sure, but could be wrong,  didn't not so long ago Thailand try and  tell an other country to arrest someone who was high up in the government at one time,  Think they lost that one  :giggle:

Why does Thailand aspire to everything from the west ?

To be far she was never born that time.school not teach her that and teach only thai things to them.wanabe actress  come singer. You can,t have a go at her because she knows nothing of that kind of history from Europe.they made a mountain out of a mole hill on this one

10 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

To be far she was never born that time.school not teach her that and teach only thai things to them.wanabe actress  come singer. You can,t have a go at her because she knows nothing of that kind of history from Europe.they made a mountain out of a mole hill on this one

Uh...

On top of mountain out of molehill, why are the Thai (Buddhists) expected to forsake their religious symbols because someone from another culture, another religion,,,decided to use it for their own purposes, completely unrelated.

Snowflakes all

Was it clockwise, or counter....as has been mentioned, she is a 20 something BUDDHIST with no reason to have learned of the European theatre in WWII....give it a rest

Why dont you go to the Carlsberg HQ in Copenhagen and have your hissy fits.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elephant_Tower,_Carlsberg

See the image gallery, but CAREFUL, you may need medical attention after seeing one of the photos

http://www.religionfacts.com/swastika

Buddhist Swastika

In Buddhism, the swastika is almost always clockwise. It signifies auspiciousness and good fortune as well as the Buddha's footprints and the Buddha's heart. The swastika is said to contain the whole mind of the Buddha and can often be found imprinted on the chest, feet or palms of Buddha images. It is also the first of the 65 auspicious symbols on the footprint of the Buddha. The swastika has also often been used to mark the beginning of Buddhist texts. In China and Japan, the Buddhist swastika was seen as a symbol of plurality, eternity, abundance, prosperity and long life.

The swastika is used as an auspicious mark on Buddhist temples and is especially common in Korea. It can often be seen on the decorative borders around paintings, altar cloths and banners. In Tibetan Buddhism, it is also used as a clothing decoration.

8 hours ago, farcanell said:

Just the other day my eyes were working their way down a lovely set of legs, whilst waiting to be served at the 24 shop, when they came across a swastika tattoo on an ankle.... I was surprised, to say the least, so I came home and asked google about it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

Modern western culture has a problem with the symbol.... but historically, it’s supposedly a symbol of well being, 1000’s of years old.

personally, I think the popular yang yang symbol is one of the worst symbols one can tattoo on ones self, as its misogynistic.... but ironically, women seem to love them. (Duality. Female. Black. Evil)

education level is a factor of wealth.... the average Thai is not that wealthy compared to the average westerner... so... throw not the stones. (Edit... car720... that is most definitely not a dig at your post... I was using it to bounce onto the meaning of a swastika, nothing else)

8E171C21-F6F7-4F0B-B278-4C9EFD1C8D6E.png

Fear not.  It is just a symbol.  How people care to associate to it is up to themselves.

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

"In his 1925 work Mein Kampf, Adolf Hitler writes that: "I myself, meanwhile, after innumerable attempts, had laid down a final form; a flag with a red background, a white disk, and a black swastika in the middle. After long trials I also found a definite proportion between the size of the flag and the size of the white disk, as well as the shape and thickness of the swastika."

When Hitler created a flag for the Nazi Party, he sought to incorporate both the swastika and "those revered colors expressive of our homage to the glorious past and which once brought so much honor to the German nation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika#Nazism

You stated that he designed the swastika not the flag.  Completely different.

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And that's not the position the Thai authorities take when tourists unknowingly do things that offend their nation and its icons, like making shoes with material from the Thai flag or doing stuff with Buddhist symbols and statues, etc etc.

You do realize there is a diffrence between learning about a country you are about to visit and learning about a country you are likely NEVER to visit.

Why should Thai's be aware of whatever offends people on the other side of the globe? 

On the contrary, when I go to ANY country on holiday, I make sure I don't do anything to offend locals. But I dont bother to learn about whatever offends some other random country I dont plan on visitting.

Your view is extremely narrow sighted. 

Even westerners are not always aware of these kind of things. For example the KISS band logo, which has 2 stormlike S'es like the SS logo. They were not aware of this and it offended Germans when they wanted to tour in Germany. Funniest of it is that the person who made the KISS logo had jewish heritage.

So why throw mud at a Thai teen for not knowing history of another continent when even westerners are not always aware of everything that might offend other westerners? 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Would agree TallGuy IF had happened in Israel or Germany, but crazy over the top since it occurred here in Thailand.

While you're correct on Thailand's overreactions when something upsets their (usually silly and hypocritical) sensitivities, not a damn thing they can do to any non Thai that offends such outside of Thailand...even if a Thai, as long as they don't return. 

The poor girl apologized tearfully when she realized the error of her ways.  Time to leave her be...

...and time for the world to grow a pair. 

75fe87cf00de586544ae9544c409933f.gif.5e6e0a4ad31e5d5c2cd4bf0a062e7acc.gif

5 minutes ago, AboutThaim said:

I went with my gf to get a Thai ID card at the local govt office. I was given the paperwork to check and pointed out that I was from Australia not Austria.  The clerk checked on the computer and came back with “No Australia on computer.  If you want ID card you will have to be from Austria”. Also used to get asked often when I said I'm from Australia if I speak Dueshe.

Your lucky  it could have been much worse mate.

it could have been Tasmania. :giggle:

17 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The poor girl apologized tearfully when she realized the error of her ways.  Time to leave her be...

...and time for the world to grow a pair.

Forgiving the ignorant girl, after she apparently genuinely apologized for her ignorance...

is a different matter from those who post here on the forum defending or making light of someone displaying Nazi regalia and all that it stands for.

45 minutes ago, GeoMill said:

So why throw mud at a Thai teen for not knowing history of another continent when even westerners are not always aware of everything that might offend other westerners? 

Ohh... I dunno... After all, it only was only a WORLD WAR that engulfed much of the developed world, including (then undeveloped) Thailand.  Go check the graves at Kanchanaburi if you require further education.

30 minutes ago, dcnx said:

All of this and she still doesn’t know or care what the symbol means and who Hitler was.

She was told to apologize and she does without knowing why.

Probably true... But if she ends up participating in the upcoming local Holocaust event as promised, then maybe she'll learn a thing or two, and begin remedying her ignorance.

45 minutes ago, HHTel said:

You stated that he designed the swastika not the flag.  Completely different.

No I didnt , I said in post 269 "No, the Nazi swastika was invented by Adolf Hitler and solely used by the Nazis" and you replied that that was "Hogwash" .

We were quite clearly talking about the Nazi swastika flag , although you seem to think that the ancient swastika and the German swastika are the same thing and they are quite different 

Thai historic knowledge is in fact limited to their glorious parts. The rest is nearly forgotten, for instance; being an ally of Japan just after days of invasion ( even invited by their prime minister ) 

Curious how the Thais will react if the French/Cambodians would celebrate the Franco-Siamese treaty of 3 Oct 1893  ( I guess 99% even would not know ) 

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, many choices made here are based on ignorance.

The only education they seem to want to follow, is what is shown in the the weekly 'soap operas' on television.

I am not too sure much history, geography, world affairs etc. are taught in schools here.

I have had at least two Thai girlfriends in recent years, who did not know what I was talking about when I mentioned "World War 2".   Unbelievable!

21 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

The real story not spoken is the lack of awareness or education of the history that would have ensured that nobody would wear these items. Having the awareness and then wearing them, well that is different, and rightly an event to spoken of.... To label her ignorance as racism is blowing everything out of proportion, non news.....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

I dont think that anyone has suggested that she is racist and the general consensus seems to be that she was unaware of what the symbol meant 

Archived