You got 3 rai farmland?

Tagged

You got 3 rai farmland in Isan, what would you do with it? Time perspective is 20 eyars +. 

We will make solar power, a small bungalow, bore hole for water, and then what to do with it? We will have family to take care of the land, so I was thinking hard wood, and some useful fruit trees. Any thoughts what goes good together? 

The land have been used for potatos lately, and in the area they just started planting and producing Tamurin as well. From before it is a typical chilli, beans, sugar, and corn. 

• Like 1

The basic answer if you want is look at the Kings sufficiency plan it will give you a good layout

If you are going to live on the land then plan to grow crops and livestock hat will make you self sufficient with a little extra to trade or sell

Edited by kingstonkid
  • Like 2

We will plant hardwood first of all, and then the family can plant what goes good together with the hard wood. The land investment was far underpriced, and the rest of the family have connecting land, and nearby so they are farmers with green hands. They would know what they want, but as every other place I have been to, is when  neighbour start with something new the rest of the village do the same, so i said no Tamurin. 

bore hole with quality pipes, slurry, and pump 50 000,- ?

Wather tanks 5m3 10 000,-?

Bungalow 40 000?

Saplings? 

I live with a large extended farming family... they know what is best to plant in the area... and have made changes over the last 20 years. They are far more knowledgable than I am on the subject and so I do not get involved. Any thoughts I had as to what to grow etc.. would have been wrong. 

3 rai is not a lot of land but if you are calling the shots, be prepared to take the blame... they have been Isaan farmers longer than you. 

Im just asking what is going together with teak tree? 

I guess some mushrooms will trive there, and then? It is all about making the best out of the land before and after we have planted hard wood that can benefit the family. 

We are not going to live there, and we do know the family is good taking care. Thay have proved that to me, with having a decent house, take care of the yeard, and their farmland. This is not anything I am considering as an investment for me, more like a little deposit for my gf for the future. 

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

nonsense. I have been working on my wife's 60 rai plot of land for the last 20 years. My friends wife has a Macadamia farm and he actively sells the nuts to the supermarkets. There are thousands of expats tending their wife's farms. 

They might do it but it's not legal anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpudlian said:

Take a hard look at farmers here that have more land than 3 rye and see what motor bike they can afford, hate to be a tad cynical but that's pretty much a starting point and do not follow there ideas about pigs / fish / rice sugar cane / rubber etc .

Thank you for yor concern, but this is not for me. I have everything I need, and not looking for an investment I am going to be rich of. Call it sin sod to my gf if you like ???? 

I just want her to have something at her home, and something her parents can help out with and also get some in return. I really think  teak and mushrooms is a good idea, and then something that will not compete with the teak trees, but rather support them. 

7 hours ago, Chicken George said:

Grow for yourself and family. Dont try to grow to sell it sort of costs too much as in looking after prooerly. Lemon trees. Mangoes. Other fruits. Mulberrys for sure. Bannanas. Beens. Okra. Make your own fertilizer and sprays to keep the insects down. If it needs spraying with insecticude dont grow it. 

Look on youtube fir ideas.

Thai friend grow fruit trees with his 5 rais of land in Rayong employing a farmer to till the land. Come harvesting time, he gifted me a few bags of fruits. Mangos and such. Missus asked why the fruits taste so so and smaller size than normal. His answer was 

maybe lack of fertilizers. Costs of planting and maintaining the trees is more than the value of the harvest. So I would consider it a hobby for ‘boutique’ fruits . You could have gotten better fruits from the fruit market at a lower cost.

Reminds me of my friend in Victoria Australia who employs a farmer to grow grapes for wine making on his land. Each year he would make a couple of thousand bottles of wine with his own label as gifts to his customers. Cost of producing own wine is not any cheaper than outright buying in bulk from big producers but he is anamoured with the idea of having his own label (company logo) on the bottles. 

• Like 1